Ice on balcony

seattlecruiser

I am curious if anyone else has experienced this. On our recent Diamond Alaska cruise on several days there were ice cubes on our balcony...and no, it wasn't from calving glaciers.

When our room steward would change the ice in out room, he would dump the old ice on the balcony. I saw this on several days, but it may have been done daily and melted by the time we got back on the ship.

I can't figure out if he was just being lazy or if this is standard procedure. It wasn't a huge deal (just annoying) but I'm glad I did't walk out on the balcony in bare or stockinged feet without noticing!

Surely this isn't standard procedure. Never had this happen on 8 Alaska cruises with a balcony.

I wonder how some of our experts would recommend handling this? Speak directly to the room steward first? Maybe if he seems friendly and approachable.

Maybe go to the customer services desk as a second step?

I would speak to the room steward. This is not acceptable. You could have fallen and gotten hurt. That is a safety hazard. If it happened again , I would go straight to the Pursers Desk, I am sure they were not aware of it.

Cori

When our room steward would change the ice in out room, he would dump the old ice on the balcony. I saw this on several days, but it may have been done daily and melted by the time we got back on the ship.

I can't figure out if he was just being lazy or if this is standard procedure. It wasn't a huge deal (just annoying) but I'm glad I did't walk out on the balcony in bare or stockinged feet without noticing!

There have been posts about finding ice on a balcony due to the steward on a higher deck throwing the ice over the balcony there.

There have been posts about finding ice on a balcony due to the steward on a higher deck throwing the ice over the balcony there.

This is even worse if it is coming from a higher deck, I would have thought that no one should be putting anything over the side of the ship, not even ice.:D

I recommend that you tactfully discuss this with the room steward and allow him / her time to make the correction.If there is no improvement, bring it to a supervisor.

I wonder why they just don't put it in the basin.:confused:

Needs to be all gone when steward is finished cleaning the room.

The ice normally melts overnight on the ships I have been on but if there was any left, some warm water would have it gone in seconds.:D

As I remember it better now, the post was that the balcony was wet several days for an unknown reason.

They figured out it was melted ice from the balcony above, but it may have dripped down, not been thrown down.

There is a small gutter and a lip at the outer edge of the balcony; any melting ice would have gone down the drain. It was either dumped by the steward or thrown down from above--either case is unacceptable.

In most cases, the stewards are very accommodating. I can't imagine one doing this. ...but, others have mentioned this happening, too.

How odd...

I would have to speak to the steward, even though it would probably take me time or two.

There is a small gutter and a lip at the outer edge of the balcony; any melting ice would have gone down the drain. It was either dumped by the steward or thrown down from above--either case is unacceptable.

Yes, any melt water would be captured. I think there is more to this story than we know.:D

In most cases' date=' the stewards are very accommodating. I can't imagine one doing this. ...but, others have mentioned this happening, too.

How odd...

I would have to speak to the steward, even though it would probably take me time or two.[/quote']

I probably wouldn't be too fussed about some water on my balcony but if the steward is sloppy in this respect, they may be neglecting other areas as well.:eek:

I was confined to cabin on the Grand last year whilst docked in Le Havre . I was sitting on the balcony when U heard a crashing sound and water came under the balcony divider from the next cabin.

The steward had thrown the contents of the ice bucket against the divider and had the bucket in his hand - he just smiled and apologised for disturbing me and proceeded to wipe the divider with a cloth .

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Not all balconies have that drain. We had a puddled, wet balcony on the 49 day Grand cruise in Jan/Feb/March. Took them a few days to straighten out the problem by putting down carpeting on my balcony. They used that astroturf stuff. Grand still doesn't have carpeted balconies, but I know at least one cabin which does. :)

Not all balconies have that drain. We had a puddled, wet balcony on the 49 day Grand cruise in Jan/Feb/March. Took them a few days to straighten out the problem by putting down carpeting on my balcony. They used that astroturf stuff. Grand still doesn't have carpeted balconies, but I know at least one cabin which does. :)

LOL, i suppose they may have lifted it again by now.:D

Archived