Alaska Cruise

cruzy1960

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We have done quite a few Alaskan cruises. On the majority of our cruises, the captain has kept the port side of the ship facing the glaciers the longest -- thus we always book a port side cabin.

But there is no telling what your captain will do.

You can find out more information about NCL here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

Join your Roll Call here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1695441

We had a cabin on the very back starboard corner of the Westerdam and we spent the entire day on our balcony. Neither of us feel like we missed anything, despite what many on here say. We didn't have to deal with crowds or jockey for a spot at the rail to see. We were able to run inside to change clothes as needed, warm up, or use the bathroom as needed. We also had a wonderful lunch on our balcony.

However, I don't know what the cabins are like on the Pearl. Our cabin was a "corner aft wrap". It was on the very back corner of the ship with a huge balcony that wrapped around the corner, so we could sit on either the back or side and we could see 180 degrees. I don't know if I would feel the same with a standard balcony, but would probably choose to stay there anyway because I don't like crowds.

Here's what we did last time we had a starboard balcony:

- enjoy the lounge upstairs in the AM where the rangers speak and have their tables set up. Go to one of their earlier lectures before you get to Marjorie.

- Dress warm and GO OUTSIDE. We enjoyed the promenade where we could walk around and get great views and take photos.

- Go get lunch before they turn the ship around at Marjorie and take it to your balcony and enjoy part two of that glacier!

- Put the hat and gloves back on and go strolling around the promenade with your camera for the rest of the day.

- Don't spend your time indoors, except to warm up and eat. Get out there and enjoy Glacier Bay with no windows!

I also wanted to add that your best views of the Glaciers and the other scenery is from the open deck of the ship.

From the open deck you can easily move from side to side for the best viewing.

It can get cold at times so be sure to layer your clothing.

Keith

Archived