Serenade of the Seas picture heavy fun review–12 day Med cruise incl DIY port trips!

I just had to chime in and say: I adore you, your family, your way with words. Devoured the Adventure review and came back for more.

Quit it you guys! Too much praise -- I'm going to burst!

We planned to just taxi to the wall (far gate) but found a terrific fun driver who (for a few more Euros) brought us to several EXTREMELY great views first.

:eek: You sponaneously hired a cab driver as a tour guide? Wow - talk about spontaneous! You should write a review so I can read all about it:)!!!!!

He was found, happily, at a taquito stand - but eating them, not inhabiting one.

LOL -- almost spit out my coffee at that one!

I loved the photos where she's in a suit and you in a long gown, and also the 'white party' photos. True love

Sigh -- I do love her more than anything! She's the Light of my life! We're dreaming about beeing two old grannies one day sitting on a bench in the sun, chatting away and waiting for a bus! Seriously they have some old people's homes in Germany, where they put up fake bus stops. The senile inhabitants go there, sit down and wait for a bus to visit their relatives...after a while, they forget what they wanted to do and trot back into the house. I know -- bizarr and kinda sad...but I love the idea anyway. No confused old people roaming around getting stuck in real busses.

Absolutely wonderful review and a beautiful family! You've given me great ideas for our Aug cruise to the Med. We may fly into Munich from Canada as it's much less expensive than going straight to Venice. Do you know what the price of flights to Venice from Munich might be? Thank you

Absolutely wonderful review and a beautiful family! You've given me great ideas for our Aug cruise to the Med. We may fly into Munich from Canada as it's much less expensive than going straight to Venice. Do you know what the price of flights to Venice from Munich might be? Thank you

Hi hsaroya,

thank you!

I just googled your flight options... from Munich to Venice and retour you pay about 76 Euros per person (at this moment) when you fly in August 2014 (but this price is without checked luggage I believe...no idea how much more it'll be with huge cruise baggage attached). The flight lasts between an hour to an hour and 15 min. Not too bad. I'd go for it to safe some money. I'd probably try to sneak in a couple of days in Munich before the flight to Venice. This way you'd have the jetlag out of your face and can relax after such a long flight without having to continue on traveling right away. (I might just be jealous too, since although I live in Germany, I've never been to Munich myself:(. But I plan to! One of these days:o.) Cool, your med cruise is just as far away as our British Isles cruise coming up....We'll suffer through the looong wait together:).

Stef

Hi hsaroya,

thank you!

I just googled your flight options... from Munich to Venice and retour you pay about 76 Euros per person (at this moment) when you fly in August 2014 (but this price is without checked luggage I believe...no idea how much more it'll be with huge cruise baggage attached). The flight lasts between an hour to an hour and 15 min. Not too bad. I'd go for it to safe some money. I'd probably try to sneak in a couple of days in Munich before the flight to Venice. This way you'd have the jetlag out of your face and can relax after such a long flight without having to continue on traveling right away. (I might just be jealous too, since although I live in Germany, I've never been to Munich myself:(. But I plan to! One of these days:o.) Cool, your med cruise is just as far away as our British Isles cruise coming up....We'll suffer through the looong wait together:).

Stef

Thank you! I think I may be bothering you with a lot of questions in the next few months!

If we do come in via Munich and have three full extra days, would there be enough time to rent a car, see something of Munich and then drive into Vienna and or Switzerland? Or would the distances be too far?

Hi hsaroya,

thank you!

Stef

Which airline was this with?

Thank you! I think I may be bothering you with a lot of questions in the next few months!

If we do come in via Munich and have three full extra days, would there be enough time to rent a car, see something of Munich and then drive into Vienna and or Switzerland? Or would the distances be too far?

Hihsaroya,

Sure you could do that! Besides Munich itself, there are a ton of sights you can explore. To Salzburg or Innsbruck (Austria) it is about an hour and a half drive...But be sure to know how to drive a stickshift and be a little practiced in driving tight turns on the smaller streets (no worries -- the freeways are fine). The further you go south from Munich, the more mountainous the scenery gets. To Switzerland it's also about an hour and a half drive. You can hardly scratch the surface in three days, but it'll be perfect to get a first impression. Don't forget that you have to pay tolls for the freeways in Austria and Switzerland though. If you didn't buy the badge before and have it attached in your window when they check up on you, you'll pay heavy fines!

The airline is called Dolomiti air....I never heard of them before:o...but I believe they are somehow related to Lufthansa...which would be a good thing.

You're not bothering me a bit! I'm happy if I can help you out one way or another....gives me a reason to chat on here...since my MSC roll call is so deserted (yet! I hope it changes after christmas).

Stef

You're not bothering me a bit! I'm happy if I can help you out one way or another....gives me a reason to chat on here...since my MSC roll call is so deserted (yet! I hope it changes after christmas).

I think we absolutely need to keep this thread going until your MSC roll call picks up. Random questions about Germany is a perfect theme. ;)

Here's my Germany-related random question:

How do you really feel about David Hasselhoff?

(Apologies if this offends in any way- on a popular comedy sketch show here, one of the running gags used to be "Germans love David Hasselhoff".)

Thank you, Stef. I just checked Dolmiti's website and it appears they do allow one free carryon and one free checked bag of 20 kilos. If they're partnered with Lufthansa, they should be pretty reputable.

Will all rentals be stick shifts? If so, that will be a problem. Are cities like Salzburg driveable?

What, in your opinion, would be the top three things you would want to do in and outside of Munich (or even outside of Germany ) in 3 days? Bear in mind that we have a 16 and 14 year old with us.

We do not drink, but would love to see a beer garden. Would the kids be allowed in?

Thank you!

I think we absolutely need to keep this thread going until your MSC roll call picks up. Random questions about Germany is a perfect theme. ;)

Here's my Germany-related random question:

How do you really feel about David Hasselhoff?

(Apologies if this offends in any way- on a popular comedy sketch show here, one of the running gags used to be "Germans love David Hasselhoff".)

Hi Windjamming,

I'm so glad you're still here! It was so cool to read your review and get a second perspective on the same itinerary. And those pictures of Venice in that light....absolutely phenomenal! Thank you again!!!!! I can't wait until the Oct 22nd sailing returns and starts posting reviews!

But now to your question:

There is a place and a time for everybody --- even David Hasselhoff. When the Berlin wall came down it was a special feeling for all of us. And since it was the end of the eighties his song "Looking for freedom" just fit that feeling -- however cheesy it was. Sadly Mr. Hasselhoff seems to have the impression, that the Germans still adore him for that song, even if he keeps on singing it over and over and over again today...Wrong!

He does have a special place in memory because of the falling wall...but he should have stopped there and then to bask in that glory and be remembered for it. While constantly acting as if everybody adores him like a god, he became a bit pathetic...too bad.

Just my opinion. Sorry if you're a huge fan of him:D.

Stef

Whoohoo! Hi Sinppu! I LOVED your reviews! What an honour to have you here!

Lol -- looks like he's surfing on it, doesn't it? Lol -- saw this with dolphins on TV, but never with crocodiles:rolleyes:.

Stef

Hi Stef :D

Thanks, you did great yourself!

I love it when people find my reports after a long time so good to hear you feel the same :)

Will you write a report from your MSC cruise? Scotland and Ireland, WOW.

Sorry if you answered that somewhere, didn't catch it :o

Edited by Sinppu

Thank you, Stef. I just checked Dolmiti's website and it appears they do allow one free carryon and one free checked bag of 20 kilos. If they're partnered with Lufthansa, they should be pretty reputable.

Will all rentals be stick shifts? If so, that will be a problem. Are cities like Salzburg driveable?

What, in your opinion, would be the top three things you would want to do in and outside of Munich (or even outside of Germany ) in 3 days? Bear in mind that we have a 16 and 14 year old with us.

We do not drink, but would love to see a beer garden. Would the kids be allowed in?

Thank you!

Hi Hsaroya,

well -- I don't know if you could get an automatic on a regular basis...you sure would have to ask for one beforehand...but Munich is a big and international city...so maybe? I just never tried. We rented moving vans and other cars on several occasions in our area and never got anything but a stick shift. But didn't ask for anything else either.

Beer gardens are great! I believe Munich is full of them. It would be a shame not to try one of the local beers though. Even your 16 year old can legally order one:o. Younger kids are no problem...they're all over, just won't get served beer (well - shouldn't be served anyway...if your 14 year old LOOKS like he/she might be 16 maybe they won't ask. They hardly ever check ID's).

3 days, hm? wow -- for me the maniac planner, this is hard to say without studying the area in detail. Just out of my head I'd go for an itinerary like this:

Day 1: Munich. Stroll around the english garden, visit Kloster Andechs and take a sightseeing bus around the city. Evening: Hofbräuhaus. If the Oktoberfest is going on, I'd go check that out as well.

Day 2: first day trip: Schloss Neuschwanstein. I know it's cheesy, but I always wanted to go see it. Driving time one way from Munich a little less than 2 hours.

Day3: second day trip: Königssee. There is this REAL cheesy German movie from the 60's (or was it even the 50's?) about an inn next to this lake. I was a kid when I watched it and always wanted to go see it. Plus the mountainous setting must be breathtaking. Driving time from Munich: also a little less than two hours.

again... this just popped out of my head...if I did some serious planning...this list might end up completely different.

:oI never drove through Salzburg...so I don't know.

Stef

I can't wait until the Oct 22nd sailing returns and starts posting reviews!

Me too! Did you see that Mount Etna erupted? I was wondering if the Oct 22 folks would get a good view. Is it weird that I'm wondering what people on an entirely different vacation are seeing? Probably, lol.

But now to your question:

There is a place and a time for everybody --- even David Hasselhoff. When the Berlin wall came down it was a special feeling for all of us. And since it was the end of the eighties his song "Looking for freedom" just fit that feeling -- however cheesy it was. Sadly Mr. Hasselhoff seems to have the impression, that the Germans still adore him for that song, even if he keeps on singing it over and over and over again today...Wrong!

He does have a special place in memory because of the falling wall...but he should have stopped there and then to bask in that glory and be remembered for it. While constantly acting as if everybody adores him like a god, he became a bit pathetic...too bad.

Just my opinion. Sorry if you're a huge fan of him:D.

Haha, nope. Well, maybe in the 80s, but I think you are right that the time and place have passed! Still, what a special memory of that time you must have (about the Wall, not The Hoff)!

Hi Stef :D

Thanks, you did great yourself!

I love it when people find my reports after a long time so good to hear you feel the same :)

Will you write a report from your MSC cruise? Scotland and Ireland, WOW.

Sorry if you answered that somewhere, didn't catch it :o

Hi Sinppu,

Yup, I love that too.

You bet! I' ll write a review...and since my reviews tend to get longer each cruise..it'll be a huge one! Not only addicted to cruising...also to writing reports afterwards...

I'm especially looking forward to writing the next review since I 've read so many greatly differing opinions on MSC. I promise you'll get a very thorough report on how things are like on top of one of their vessels. Plus of course tons of pics from Scotland and Ireland Whoohoo!

Stef

Me too! Did you see that Mount Etna erupted? I was wondering if the Oct 22 folks would get a good view. Is it weird that I'm wondering what people on an entirely different vacation are seeing? Probably, lol.

Really? I didn't even hear from it. Good thing we were on Vesuvio without any eruptive activity. Gulp. Scary stuff.

Lol -- I can't wait either! Not weird at all!!!!

Stef

Hi Sinppu,

Yup, I love that too.

You bet! I' ll write a review...and since my reviews tend to get longer each cruise..it'll be a huge one! Not only addicted to cruising...also to writing reports afterwards...

I'm especially looking forward to writing the next review since I 've read so many greatly differing opinions on MSC. I promise you'll get a very thorough report on how things are like on top of one of their vessels. Plus of course tons of pics from Scotland and Ireland Whoohoo!

Stef

Stef,

Somehow I missed that your cruising to Ireland ! When are you taking this cruise ? I think you'l love our Country, please let me know if I can help you with any planning, what ports will you call at ?

Stef,

Somehow I missed that your cruising to Ireland ! When are you taking this cruise ? I think you'l love our Country, please let me know if I can help you with any planning, what ports will you call at ?

Muhahah -- you asked for it, so now you'll have to endure the full blown itinerary:rolleyes:! This way I can get everybody's mouth watering already:cool:.

This will be it:

Wednesday Aug 13th Hamburg (Germany) 18:30

Thursday Aug 14th Day at Sea

Friday Aug 15th South Queensferry (Scotland) 8:00 - 18:00

Saturday Aug 16th Invergordon (Scotland) 8:00 - 19:00

Sunday Aug17th Day at Sea

Monday Aug 18th Belfast (Northern Ireland) 8:00 - 17:00

Tuesday Aug 19th Greenock (Scotland) 8:00 - 18:00

Wednesday Aug 20th Dublin (Ireland) 9:00 - 18:00

Thursday Aug 21st Cobh (Ireland) 8:00 - 17:00

Friday Aug 22nd Day at Sea

Saturday Aug 23rd Amsterdam (Netherlands) 9:00 - 15:00

Sunday Aug 24th Hamburg (Germany) 10:30

:)Fabulous, isn't it?

Whereabouts in Ireland do you live?

Thanks for offering help with the planning. I'll get back to it....Right now I'm fighting hard to retrain myself from starting the full blown planning hype...But once Christmas day is over...presents unpacked...you'll see me in a happy frenzy, starting up a new binder:p.

Stef

Muhahah -- you asked for it, so now you'll have to endure the full blown itinerary:rolleyes:! This way I can get everybody's mouth watering already:cool:.

This will be it:

Wednesday Aug 13th Hamburg (Germany) 18:30

Thursday Aug 14th Day at Sea

Friday Aug 15th South Queensferry (Scotland) 8:00 - 18:00

Saturday Aug 16th Invergordon (Scotland) 8:00 - 19:00

Sunday Aug17th Day at Sea

Monday Aug 18th Belfast (Northern Ireland) 8:00 - 17:00

Tuesday Aug 19th Greenock (Scotland) 8:00 - 18:00

Wednesday Aug 20th Dublin (Ireland) 9:00 - 18:00

Thursday Aug 21st Cobh (Ireland) 8:00 - 17:00

Friday Aug 22nd Day at Sea

Saturday Aug 23rd Amsterdam (Netherlands) 9:00 - 15:00

Sunday Aug 24th Hamburg (Germany) 10:30

:)Fabulous, isn't it?

Whereabouts in Ireland do you live?

Thanks for offering help with the planning. I'll get back to it....Right now I'm fighting hard to retrain myself from starting the full blown planning hype...But once Christmas day is over...presents unpacked...you'll see me in a happy frenzy, starting up a new binder:p.

Stef

yes, that really is a fab itinerary ! And your so lucky to be able to go on a 12 nighter.

We live in County Wexford, which is about 2 hrs south of Dublin and 2.5 hrs west of Cork. You will have so many choices of things to do in Dublin and should get a taste of rural Ireland from the Cobh stop.

How I wish I had another cruise booked to start planning, soon maybe :(

Oh and I'm sure you know that Cobh was the last stop for the Titanic and there is a a new museum now open in Belfast ( where it was built) if you are interested in that sort of thing :D

Edited by Irish Cath

Hi Stef - thanks so much for your review, I have just been enjoying it again after returning from Serenade's 22nd October Sailing. It was great to have all your pointers and we too enjoyed breakfast in Windjammer's outside area, the beach at Ravenna and lots of other "Stef did this" moments.

two little updates for you:

The community board was advertising a daily LBGT meeting at 6.15 in Vintages - maybe they read your review? It looked to me as though the ship had put up the card.

We had a late disembarkation and on the change over day - 3rd November - the still temporarily broken down ice machine on Windjammer's balcony was removed........ Maybe it will be back in working order for the Carribean next month.

Your next cruise itinerary looks brilliant - enjoy the planning.

Oh and I'm sure you know that Cobh was the last stop for the Titanic and there is a a new museum now open in Belfast ( where it was built) if you are interested in that sort of thing :D

I love the statue they have in Cobh for the passengers leaving on the Titanic - very poignant

Carol

Hi Stef - thanks so much for your review, I have just been enjoying it again after returning from Serenade's 22nd October Sailing. It was great to have all your pointers and we too enjoyed breakfast in Windjammer's outside area, the beach at Ravenna and lots of other "Stef did this" moments.

two little updates for you:

The community board was advertising a daily LBGT meeting at 6.15 in Vintages - maybe they read your review? It looked to me as though the ship had put up the card.

We had a late disembarkation and on the change over day - 3rd November - the still temporarily broken down ice machine on Windjammer's balcony was removed........ Maybe it will be back in working order for the Carribean next month.

Your next cruise itinerary looks brilliant - enjoy the planning.

Thanks to Stef's review--every time we walked past that ice machine we had to comment :D Made for one more silly thing to get us laughing (easy to do).

1465385_668232963210701_374738880_n.jpg

"Temporarily" You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

yes, that really is a fab itinerary ! And your so lucky to be able to go on a 12 nighter.

We live in County Wexford, which is about 2 hrs south of Dublin and 2.5 hrs west of Cork. You will have so many choices of things to do in Dublin and should get a taste of rural Ireland from the Cobh stop.

How I wish I had another cruise booked to start planning, soon maybe :(

Hi Irish Cath,

:D -- I know we're lucky! 12 days is just the perfect time to spend on a cruise ship! I'm trying hard not to do any actual planning...but I did notice facts about the Titanic (Belfast museum and Cobh harbour). Not sure if I want to limit myself seeing stuff about a sunken ship rather than the actual Ireland though...then again...what is the actual Ireland? Is Guinness really the beer the Irish drink...or is it a tourist scam? Will it be worth driving over 2 hours to see the Giant's causeway...or should we see Belfast with it's terrifying religion-separating wall instead? I just don't know yet. Is there ONE thing about Ireland that you'd recommend doing, if you were only allowed to choose One?

Thanks for your thoughts:).

Stef

I love the statue they have in Cobh for the passengers leaving on the Titanic - very poignant

Carol

Oh Carol -- does that mean you were there already? By cruise ship? How cool. How'd you spend your day there?

Stef

...and no ... this is NOT planning:)...I'm just loosely gathering information:D.

Stef

Edited by Kreuzfahrtneuling