Serenade of the Seas picture heavy fun review–12 day Med cruise incl DIY port trips!

Thanks to Stef's review--every time we walked past that ice machine we had to comment :D Made for one more silly thing to get us laughing (easy to do).

1465385_668232963210701_374738880_n.jpg

"Temporarily" You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

LOL -- look at how bleached out the colour of the writing is already....Good thing they removed it finally. Great to hear you had a good time!

Stef

Hi Stef - thanks so much for your review, I have just been enjoying it again after returning from Serenade's 22nd October Sailing. It was great to have all your pointers and we too enjoyed breakfast in Windjammer's outside area, the beach at Ravenna and lots of other "Stef did this" moments.

two little updates for you:

The community board was advertising a daily LBGT meeting at 6.15 in Vintages - maybe they read your review? It looked to me as though the ship had put up the card.

We had a late disembarkation and on the change over day - 3rd November - the still temporarily broken down ice machine on Windjammer's balcony was removed........ Maybe it will be back in working order for the Carribean next month.

Your next cruise itinerary looks brilliant - enjoy the planning.

Hi Nettee,

Oops, almost skipped your post -- and that although it's such a positive one! I can't believe they actually had a DAILY GLBT meeting:eek::eek::eek:.

I love the "Stef did this" moments:D! Laughed real good at this...Sure hope you enjoyed these moments as much as we did!

I will endulge in every second of the new planning and the new cruise itself -- I can ashure you that:p!

Stef

Edited by Kreuzfahrtneuling

Oh Carol -- does that mean you were there already? By cruise ship? How cool. How'd you spend your day there?

Stef

...and no ... this is NOT planning:)...I'm just loosely gathering information:D.

Stef

How dare you even start to plan for this one just yet!! :eek::D

Yes, we were there in 2010 on Independence on a little 4 night trip. We had about an hour in Cobh itself and then caught the train to Cork. I have family in Southern Ireland and met them for the day. :)

Thanks to Stef's review--every time we walked past that ice machine we had to comment :D Made for one more silly thing to get us laughing (easy to do).

1465385_668232963210701_374738880_n.jpg

"Temporarily" You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

I actually saw a repair guy working on that machine on the last day of the cruise! Almost took a picture..lol

Hi Stef

Just discovered your review today. Thoroughly enjoyed your writing and photos. You have a lovely family. Hope you have many more adventures together and that you post about them on cruise critic for us to read and enjoy.

Hi aussielozzie,

Wow -- Australia! I'm stunned. How cool --- someone from the opposite side of the globe has read my review! I feel honored. Thanks for reading....and of course I'm happy you like it. I promise to write a review after every cruise. Wow .. Australia---I'm still speechless.

Stef

Hi aussielozzie,

Wow -- Australia! I'm stunned. How cool --- someone from the opposite side of the globe has read my review! I feel honored. Thanks for reading....and of course I'm happy you like it. I promise to write a review after every cruise. Wow .. Australia---I'm still speechless.

Stef

Lol! Cruise critic reaches far and wide. You will have to cruise downunder one day. We had a German exchange student stay with us last year and she loved it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to pop in and say hi! I found this just last week and have spent the last several days reading it. I really enjoyed my time spending it with your family. You had some really unique experiences. Hope you have more cruises in your future (and write about them)! :p thanks for all the enjoyment!

Just wanted to pop in and say hi! I found this just last week and have spent the last several days reading it. I really enjoyed my time spending it with your family. You had some really unique experiences. Hope you have more cruises in your future (and write about them)! :p thanks for all the enjoyment!

Hi EMED2010,

:DYou're welcome! My pleasure. Glad you liked it and hope you'll return for my next review about Scotland and Ireland!

Cool -- Pennsylvania... drove through there with Tanja once and it made me feel at home... the landscape is so similar to ours:).

Stef

Just popping in the say Hi Stef!

I haven't forgot about wring my review of the cruise from Oct 22-Nov3. I think I am just about recovered from it (boy, was that an exhausting trip!)

I hope to finish the initial scroll through my 3000+ photos and then I will start the review. I hope to make you proud :)

Melissa

Absolutely amazing. I am in the middle of planning out vacation for next august. I was afraid we should book all excursions from the ship. After showing your review to my husband he is even more excited because he feels we can do a lot on our own. We are adventurous and easy going! Thank you so much!!!

You have a beautiful family!!!!

Kathy

Just popping in the say Hi Stef!

I haven't forgot about wring my review of the cruise from Oct 22-Nov3. I think I am just about recovered from it (boy, was that an exhausting trip!)

I hope to finish the initial scroll through my 3000+ photos and then I will start the review. I hope to make you proud :)

Melissa

:DWhoohoo, welcome back Melissa! It just wasn`t the same without you here. Glad you`re back! ...and I can`t wait to see the beginning of your review! I`m proud of you already, since you`re willing to write one! Whoohoo you go girl! Can you post here once you started it? I so don't want to miss the beginning!

Stef

Absolutely amazing. I am in the middle of planning out vacation for next august. I was afraid we should book all excursions from the ship. After showing your review to my husband he is even more excited because he feels we can do a lot on our own. We are adventurous and easy going! Thank you so much!!!

You have a beautiful family!!!!

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

:p thank you!

You'll have a blast! Same itinerary as us?

ahhhh --- you're already in the MIDDLE of planning it all:eek:?

Our next cruise is in August as well and I`m just now slowly starting the planning process. Guess I should get a move on:o.

Stef

• 4 weeks later...

It's official! I started my new binder today. Totally excited. I know I wanted to wait until x-mas to start it off...but hey -- I almost made it:D.

and it's such a cool binder...ringed with sections...I learned from the last cruise that it's a nuisance to undo all kinds of pages until I reach the desired one. Not this time! I'll be soooo prepared. Did I mention I love the planning just as much as the actual cruising?:eek: ...well not quite as much, but it comes close:p.

Scotland and Ireland each get a general section and then each port has an additional slot.

:(238 days to go!

:)Let the planning frenzy begin!

Stef

hey Stef,

have just seen that you are coming to Scotland. whereabouts are you stopping?

Hi lorrdean,

Tanja's wish in Scotland was to do Aberdeen...She's a HUGE Annie Lennox fan. But our ports are all too far away, so she bravely gulped down her one and only wish for Scotland...I feel so sorry for her, but it's just too far away. One day we'll just have to jump on a cheap plane to go check out that city.

Our first stop in Scotland will be South Queensferry. At this moment we're planning to take the train into Edinburgh from Dalmeny station. Here we want to visit Edinburgh castle, walk down the royal mile and see the Palace of Holyroodhouse. Maybe even add Real Mary King's close if the kid feels brave enough.

next stop is Invergordon. Here we want to rent a car (Tanja will be the brave one to ride on the "wrong":D side of the road) to drive to several stops...Must do is Urquart castle at Loch Ness, because the kid wants to look out for Nessie:rolleyes:. Optional after that is Culloden, Dunbrobin castle and Highland games in Helmsdale that day. We'll see how much we can fit in.

Last but not least is Greenock. Here -- again we'd like to rent a car and drive through the Trossachs. No historic sites today...I know a shame to drop Stirling Castle and Bannockburn, but we'd rather enjoy the highlands and hike up a hill called Ben A'an and have a stunning view over Loch Katrine.

So that's the plans for Scotland up to this day....but since we still have half a year ahead of us, some stuff might still be changed around....what do you think, as a native Scot...doable? or any other local insight suggestions?

Stef

Yay, just completed our online check in...didn't think it would be possible so early... a plus for MSC! With RCI this wasn't possible until after the final payment.

I will need to call a rental car agency in Invergordon by phone! The email contact somehow isn't working ( I am a computer idiot I just have to admit it). Calling Scotland with actual Scots on the other end of the line scares the crap out of me. I'm afraid I won't understand a single word they say. How is the accent in Invergordon? I can chat with Americans...no problem whatsoever...with English -- well already a little more complicated....but Scots or Irish....ahhhh I think sometimes it's a complete different language altogether. It sounds really cool and sexy, but will I be able to communicate my wishes to them? Gulp -- I think I'll need to boost up my nerves until after christmas.

Stef

Edited by Kreuzfahrtneuling
typo

Yay, just completed our online check in...didn't think it would be possible so early... a plus for MSC! With RCI this wasn't possible until after the final payment. ...

Interesting. I wonder if the online chck-in process is different in Europe? Here in the US, we can complete online check-in as soon as we book the cruise. We cannot print the SetSail pass until after final payment, but we can enter all the information for check-in.

Interesting. I wonder if the online chck-in process is different in Europe? Here in the US, we can complete online check-in as soon as we book the cruise. We cannot print the SetSail pass until after final payment, but we can enter all the information for check-in.

Hi clarea,

actually that's what I meant. The printing of the set sail pass for me sort of was the completion of the online check in ritual. We were able to do the check in stuff before that as well...just not follow through with the actual printout. This time for our MSC cruise I could fill out the whole thing AND get the printout right away...no biggy, I just thought it was cool:).

Thanks for claryfying that:)!

Stef

hi Stef,

I don't know if you will be able access the link I'm including. but it gives you the route from Greenock to the Trossachs, to Stirling Castle (imho better than Edinburgh) and then back to Greenock. travel time all in just over 3hrs. that is doable, with some time to spare at each stop.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en

the Trossachs are lovely and are well worth a visit. Edinburgh is an old city with lots of interesting architecture, but as I said before I think Stirling castle is better.:D

I will need to call a rental car agency in Invergordon by phone! The email contact somehow isn't working ( I am a computer idiot I just have to admit it). Calling Scotland with actual Scots on the other end of the line scares the crap out of me. I'm afraid I won't understand a single word they say. How is the accent in Invergordon? I can chat with Americans...no problem whatsoever...with English -- well already a little more complicated....but Scots or Irish....ahhhh I think sometimes it's a complete different language altogether. It sounds really cool and sexy, but will I be able to communicate my wishes to them? Gulp -- I think I'll need to boost up my nerves until after christmas.

Stef

hahaha, we talk English too :D

• 3 weeks later...
Merry Christmas everyone!

Thanks for such an overwhelming amount of followers. It was so much fun to write this review and I already have high ambitions for the next one:). You all were (and still are:p) brilliant to talk to. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

11527163035_89331bfbd3_c.jpg

Stef

Belated Merry Christmas to you, too, Stef! Thank you so much for sharing your lovely holiday with us and for inspiring so many of us to post our own reviews! Hope you, Tanja, Tarik, and this cutie had a wonderful Christmas and are enjoying the New Year!

Looking forward to your next review! We are looking at the NCL Breakaway next. : )

Belated Merry Christmas to you, too, Stef! Thank you so much for sharing your lovely holiday with us and for inspiring so many of us to post our own reviews! Hope you, Tanja, Tarik, and this cutie had a wonderful Christmas and are enjoying the New Year!

Looking forward to your next review! We are looking at the NCL Breakaway next. : )

Hi Windjamming,

Lol -- this cutie is actually the best watchdog we have...he already tackled a neighbor and our ferrier and chased away a courier. Lol -- he can look so innocent, can't he? Up to today at least I have managed to protect the mailman...we had some close calls though:D. We only got him last summer...and are still working on his manners. Just like our kid, he has his background...but we love him and will manage.

Oh goody...the Breakaway is one of the ships I'm dying to sail on...PLEASE write a review of that trip. Will you be brave enough to walk that plank? I love how they focused on outdoor "sea view" stuff. Just like the Radiance class I imagine, just newer and bigger....very intruiging (no idea how to spell that, but you get the idea:)).

Stef