Serenade of the Seas picture heavy fun review–12 day Med cruise incl DIY port trips!

Lol -- no worries about the rain. We'll come prepared....but just a question --- is an umbrella considered a weapon to bring on a cruise? We had an issue with a corksrew once, so I just don't want trouble.

:Donly 7 more days till your honeymoon, whoohooo!!!!!:D

Stef

We bring an umbrella on the cruise all the time. We've also won umbrellas playing the ship's trivia.

Thanks guys! So it's settled. We'll travel with three umbrellas:).

Lol -- I don't know about the ponchos though -- but I 'll give them a thought ---they would keep the backpack nice and dry as well I suppose.... aaahhhrgh, but they are incredibly dorky -- no offense:D.

I just settled the issue with travelling with a fosterkid as well.... Remember how difficult it was on our last cruise....notarized, highly offical paperwork required and still trouble? Lol -- I called MSC to find out THEIR requirements and they didn't even understand my problem....

"He's your fosterson? Well, then just bring along anything that says so and a note from the guardian giving his okay and you`re good to go. Notarization? Why would we want that?"

:DDid I mention I just love this Italian way of handling stuff?

Stef

:DDid I mention I just love this Italian way of handling stuff?

Stef

Stef we did Adventure last summer (loved your review!) and then a week with MSC around United Arab Emirates in Feb. Our expectations weren't that high to be honest great (cheap last minute week away) but they were really friendly, well organised, clean, good food, good value drinks package and not overly crowded - couldn't fault them!

You'll have a great time!

So looking forward to sailing on Indy next Saturday!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Lol -- I don't know about the ponchos though -- but I 'll give them a thought ---they would keep the backpack nice and dry as well I suppose.... aaahhhrgh, but they are incredibly dorky -- no offense:D.

Haha, they are TOTALLY dorky, but you'll be thankful for the coverage in sideways rain. Ours are from our rainforest excursion in Costa Rica, where everyone wore one. Anyway, just a suggestion ... and think of this - they make great blackmail photos of the kid! :D

Stef we did Adventure last summer (loved your review!) and then a week with MSC around United Arab Emirates in Feb. Our expectations weren't that high to be honest great (cheap last minute week away) but they were really friendly, well organised, clean, good food, good value drinks package and not overly crowded - couldn't fault them!

You'll have a great time!

So looking forward to sailing on Indy next Saturday!!!

Hi hebbie67,

:)Thanks! Great to hear you had a good time with MSC. I can't wait to find out myself! Have a wonderful time on the Indy -- and later on on the Adventure (;)two cruises so close -- wee bit jealous)!

Stef

Haha, they are TOTALLY dorky, but you'll be thankful for the coverage in sideways rain. Ours are from our rainforest excursion in Costa Rica, where everyone wore one. Anyway, just a suggestion ... and think of this - they make great blackmail photos of the kid! :D

Hi windjamming,

wow...Costa Rican rainforest --- sounds way cool!

...but we decided against the ponchos for our trip...even despite the tempting blackmailing potential:D. So you'll probably get to enjoy pictures of three soaked Germans running around Scotland and or Ireland later on in the new review. But somehow I believe it won't really bother us too much.

Stef

I bet the Serenade is fabulous for Alaska...all those sea views must blow you away there. Still, it's (most of the times) so cold here in Germany that I'd rather spend my vacations in countries with a sun-guarantee:). I would however consider a cruise on the Serenade to the Norwegian Fjords ---hint hint to RCI:D. Just as cold I guess, but the departure would be pretty much right on our doorstep.

Stef

Hi Stef

Just reading and enjoying your review :-)

Your wish is granted.

Serenade is doing the Norwegian Fjords a couple of times in summer 2015.

We are going on 22 august.

Karin

Hi Stef

Just reading and enjoying your review :-)

Your wish is granted.

Serenade is doing the Norwegian Fjords a couple of times in summer 2015.

We are going on 22 august.

Karin

Hi Karin,

Thanks! I just checked the Serenade northern Europe tours...sounds oh so tempting. But maybe we will be cured of northern cruises for a while if the weather on our upcoming cruise will suck...might be in serious need of some southern sun after that again. We'll see. But good move by RCI. I really think this not so party people ship is perfect for the new scenic summer route! You'll love it for sure! ANd you've sill got such a long time for the planning -- so no stress at all -- yay.

Stef

Hi Stef

I'm sure the weather will be absolutely fine for your cruise of the British Isles and that you will enjoy it immensely.

Have a nice holiday

Karin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Karin54
wrong spelling

Steph, I have enjoyed reading both your reviews, Senerade & Adventure. I hope you will come on the RCI boards and give us a link to your review of this summer's cruise to Scotland and Ireland.

Hi Sailing Grandma,

:)Thanks, glad you enjoyed them both!

I thought I'd just keep on writing on this thread until it's time to start the new one...and then I'd just write the link in the last post...Good enough you think? I'm still unsure if I should post the new review in the ports section about the British Isles or the MSC section...but still so much time...we haven't even been on the cruise yet:o.

Stef

Just dropping in to say hi! I am hanging my head in shame though because I never did my promised cruise review :( I kept a daily journal with every last detail, but when I returned from my Med-Venice cruise last Oct/Nov, I was so overwhelmed by the amount of pics I took, I just froze. I wasn't sure how to wade through them all and choose what to post....ugh! Then the holidays were upon us, and then... well, life just got in the way.

Your review was so very helpful and I still want to pay it forward. In your opinion, do you think I should still write up a review? I mean, I guess most things about trip wouldn't have changed (I mean, Europe is pretty ancient after all!).

BTW - my mom and I just booked our first TA, so my mind is back in cruise planning mode and I'm actively back on CC after taking these past few months off :p

Melissa

Hello everybody!

Welcome back to all the nice people who have already followed along with my first attempt of a review of the Adventure of the Seas. Great to have you back!

Also of course a warm welcome to everybody who just happens to peek in this thread for the first time! We’ll have a fun time together during the next weeks.

This will be a looong review – very personable, with good and bad memories shared. You’ll get to see loads of pictures with our faces in it (no worries --many without us as well :)).

I will write and add the pictures as I go along, so be prepared for the review to take a while to be finished. The first pictures will be added this weekend when I got the first ones loaded up.

Today let me start by telling you who we are. Those of you who have read the Adventure review of course already know, but please bear with me anyway for the “new” readers.

My name is Steffi – or Stef. I’m the blond gal in all the pictures you’re going to see. Tanja – my better half – is the brunette girl. We’ve been “married” for 7 years now (a couple since 1999 – wow—that sounds quite long -- but then again – on the love and marriage show onboard the Serenade was a couple married for almost 60 years – so we still have a long way to go to be in a position to brag I guess. But I’m drifting … sorry for that…where was I … oh yeah, describing who we are. We live on a small farm in a little village in Germany. Also along for the ride, aehm cruise was our 13 year old fosterson named Tarik. He’s the cute kid with the Aladdin Look (Disney trick movie) going. He’s been living with us since last year… oh – hang on, this is the first story you’ll have to endure before everthing else (the fun cruisy part) starts:

Last year Tanja and I just returned from our very first cruise on the Adventure of the Seas. We just landed in Hannover, Germany and went to wait at the luggage belt for our bags. Tanja said she wanted to check her messages on her cell phone, so she moved to the side a bit. I was waiting at the belt for our bags, but was looking in Tanja’s direction every once in a while. I could tell that something was up. Her look was just – weird. Once I got our suitcases I couldn’t wait to ask her what’s going on.

Tanja: “The youth agency called and left several messages. Apparently they have a 12 year old boy, who desperately needs a new home right away. They repeatedly asked to call them back right away.” It was a Saturday evening – the Agency wouldn’t open until Monday 8:00 a.m.….this was going to be a loooong weekend.

Monday 8:00 a. m. sharp I called the agency and found out more. To abbreviate this at least a bit – Tarik has had quite the stream of bad luck in his former life. Father unknown (rumors are that he was from Turkey --- so that would explain the Aladdin look), Mom single parent died of cancer when he was around 5 and now his grandmom, who he lived with since then was about to die of cancer as well. Ouch! Plus the matter was most urgent. The grandmom was already in the hospital with no chance of ever returning and Tarik was parked with his great aunt and uncle who have severe medical problems themselves. He would have to move right away. It took about 5 minutes debating with Tanja over the phone (who was back at work after the cruise for the first day) to see this little guy. He came to visit this same afternoon and moved in the next morning…..Wow – that was a dramatically fast change of family life without much prior notice. But did we regret our decision?

Not ONE Minute!

He’s a fantastic little guy, who now needs some time to catch up on some elementary stuff…but we’ll be there to support him as much as we can. So now if you see him in the pictures and might have thought wow – this tiny little guy is supposed to be 13 years old – now you know a bit about his past and maybe understand why even growing was a task his body couldn’t come up with in these difficult times.

This cruise was going to be his very first travel experience ever! Find out if he liked it later!

More to come!

You are really wonderful people! I admire your ability to open your hearts and home to Tariq. I read somewhere something a little girl had written ....she had written that she was adopted but was more special to her mommy than her own biological kids...when asked why she said that the other kids grew in her belly, while SHE grew in heart!

Just dropping in to say hi! I am hanging my head in shame though because I never did my promised cruise review :( I kept a daily journal with every last detail, but when I returned from my Med-Venice cruise last Oct/Nov, I was so overwhelmed by the amount of pics I took, I just froze. I wasn't sure how to wade through them all and choose what to post....ugh! Then the holidays were upon us, and then... well, life just got in the way.

Your review was so very helpful and I still want to pay it forward. In your opinion, do you think I should still write up a review? I mean, I guess most things about trip wouldn't have changed (I mean, Europe is pretty ancient after all!).

BTW - my mom and I just booked our first TA, so my mind is back in cruise planning mode and I'm actively back on CC after taking these past few months off :p

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

lol -- welcome back! I really was searching for your promised review for quite a while...and heck yeah -- I 'd still love to read it! But I do understand that life can get in the way... so no worries -- only write if you feel like it! It is a lot of work but can be a lot of fun as well -- sort of like reliving the cruise all over :). I would love to do a TA too one day...sigh, especially to Buenos Aires....Tango rocks!

Great to have you back on here!

Stef

You are really wonderful people! I admire your ability to open your hearts and home to Tariq. I read somewhere something a little girl had written ....she had written that she was adopted but was more special to her mommy than her own biological kids...when asked why she said that the other kids grew in her belly, while SHE grew in heart!

Hi Arzeena,

Tarik is a very warmhearted, charming and wonderful person -- and we are the lucky ones.

:Dlol -- remind me of that when he forgets to turn on his head for the millionst time and drives us crazy-- I guess he's grown to be a typical teen:rolleyes: -- which is a good thing!

Stef

:D:D 40 days to go :D:D

Just weighed my binder -- 1,6 kg!!!!!!!!:eek:

more shocking is weighing myself though --- I desperately want to loose some winter-pounds before buying a new bikini in three or four weeks (remember, I ripped the old one in Croatia?). But I guess sitting on my butt, planing a cruise and being very unactive at the moment won't help achieve that task:o.

Stef

Hi Melissa,

lol -- welcome back! I really was searching for your promised review for quite a while...and heck yeah -- I 'd still love to read it! But I do understand that life can get in the way... so no worries -- only write if you feel like it! It is a lot of work but can be a lot of fun as well -- sort of like reliving the cruise all over :). I would love to do a TA too one day...sigh, especially to Buenos Aires....Tango rocks!

Great to have you back on here!

Stef

OK Stef, there is no turning back.... Chapter 1 has (finally) been posted:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2065892

I hope you will come along for the ride (especially since I expect to referencing you and your review fairly often.....lol)

Thanks for your encouragement!

Melissa

OK Stef, there is no turning back.... Chapter 1 has (finally) been posted:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2065892

I hope you will come along for the ride (especially since I expect to referencing you and your review fairly often.....lol)

Thanks for your encouragement!

Melissa

:):eek::)Wow Melissa -- that start of your review is amazing and I can only urge everybody on here to go have a look!

":pYou will all seriously love Melissa's review if it continues the way she has started it!!! Go check it out! -- But careful -- it's quite addictive!:D"

Keep it coming!

Stef

:):eek::)Wow Melissa -- that start of your review is amazing and I can only urge everybody on here to go have a look!

":pYou will all seriously love Melissa's review if it continues the way she has started it!!! Go check it out! -- But careful -- it's quite addictive!:D"

Keep it coming!

Stef

Awwww, Stef.... you make me blush :D It's all because of you that I decided to do it in the first place (even if it did take forever to get it started)

Melissa

I just found your thread and finished reading about your adventure a year later!

What an amazing review. I would love to go on this cruise someday. Right now we will sail on the Allure for our Thanksgiving holiday- a crazy busy time to go but with work I am stuck. My hubby and kids are all about big ships with lots of bells and whistles. I might be all alone in my desire for this itinerary.

Oh well- your trip report sure helped me to pretend I was there and now I only have to wait a short time for your next review!

Happy sailings and blessings to you and your wonderful family.

Barb

I just found your thread and finished reading about your adventure a year later!

What an amazing review. I would love to go on this cruise someday. Right now we will sail on the Allure for our Thanksgiving holiday- a crazy busy time to go but with work I am stuck. My hubby and kids are all about big ships with lots of bells and whistles. I might be all alone in my desire for this itinerary.

Oh well- your trip report sure helped me to pretend I was there and now I only have to wait a short time for your next review!

Happy sailings and blessings to you and your wonderful family.

Barb

Hi Barb,

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it...I know that the Allure will be stopping by the Mediterranean next year as well...so there IS a possible combination of big ship and Europe:). Maybe your folks like the Allure so much for Thanksgiving, that you'll be able to talk them into the same huge ship for the destination of your choice, may it be the Med or whatever else you desire to explore:D.

Stef

Hi Stef,

I loved every word of your review! And I am joining the Fan Club that your sweet family now has.

I started reading it because we are going on our first Royal Cruise on the Serenade next year. We will be in the Caribbean, but I thought "well, she will probably talk about the ship..." And then I was hooked! I have been to most of the ports you visited, so that was great to see also.

Some thoughts I had...

I was on the edge of my seat when Tarik was lost also! I'm glad a scraped knee was the worst of the problems!

I love Malta also! Did you go there on the Adventure? I have to read that review.

I told DH that everyone gets lost in Venice and he said "Not me!" We did not get lost once, but boy did my feet hurt from all the walking.

NOTE TO FUTURE EUROPE CRUISERS: We found that Rick Steves maps were the best for Rome, Florence, Venice.

We always call the paper wrappers in churches the "Shawls of Shame!" I think they are that ugly color on purpose. I carry a pashima in my backpack just for that reason.

We did all our ports in the Med as DIY adventures also. And when we got back to the dinner table, found our dinner mates spent $100's of dollars on a ships excursion, where they sat on a bus with 50 people and drove past the interesting sights!

Okay, I am off to read the Adventure review. Can't wait to read the MSC adventure next year!

Thanks!

Denise

I just finished the Adventure cruise...no Malta, so you must have done that on a "land" vacation. We spent one wonderful day there on a cruise, and I would love to go back. St John's was amazing!

I don't know if you learned between you first cruise and your second cruise, but a hint I heard for inside cabins...When you go to bed at night, turn the TV onto a channel that has an outside view. Most ships have a camera that faces the front of the ship or the upper deck. Then turn the sound to Mute. That way, if you wake up during the night, you can see quickly if it is daylight. Also, the cabin will lighten up as the sun rises, just like you have a window.

On of my favorite TV shows has a very smart, scientific character. He says "The Germans are a very comforting people."

Denise