Taking two year-old twins on the Pride

Is carnival going to let you put up their tents on the floor? Im guessing this is both a safety hazard as well as a fire hazard if something was to happen on the ship.

there really is no room in a cabin to put up a sleep tent let alone two of them

but there are pop up tents that go over a bed and I dont see why they would not be allowed.. Just no room for it

Is carnival going to let you put up their tents on the floor? Im guessing this is both a safety hazard as well as a fire hazard if something was to happen on the ship.

There should be no safety problem, and as it is a child's tent, it will be flame retardant.

Yes, they will. And your cabin steward will even tuck it onto the couch or coffee table for you in the mornings, and move it to the floor in the evenings. How do I know? Six cruises with our son from ages 1-4 in a Peapod sleep tent. It's no more of a hazard than the coffee table or a piece of luggage next to the bed.

LexAnima, yours is not an insurmountable problem. There are a few solutions, depending on whether cost, comfort, or convenience is your priority:

You can throw some money at the problem and book a suite or adjoining rooms with lots of space.

You can grit your teeth and make do on a smaller balcony than you'd imagined and save some cash.

You can get a Personal Vacation Planner at Carnival to start making calls to other people in the cabins you like and see if someone is willing to switch.

You can change the date of your sailing and try for the "perfect" cabin.

Everyone has their own preferences and needs and you have to do what suits you. We've done a suite, balcony, extended balcony, french door, oceanview, and inside cabin with our toddler. For us, I didn't find much difference between having a regular and extended balcony. The suite was amazing, but I can't personally justify spending that much on just the room. I'd rather put it toward adventures.

Good luck!

there really is no room in a cabin to put up a sleep tent let alone two of them

but there are pop up tents that go over a bed and I dont see why they would not be allowed.. Just no room for it

We've fit our little guy's pop up tent in every category of Carnival room. And in the suite, we were able to even get a full-sized pack and play. :)

5168482706_a86279fb93.jpg

Does anyone else have more photos of how their toddlers' safe-spaces fit into the "state" (!) rooms?

This is a year later in a smaller balcony stateroom. This is right after we woke up (hence the mess). The KidCo Peapod is on the couch/bed which is where we left it during the day. There's plenty of room for it on the floor when the stroller is folded and stowed. You could probably get two of that size tent in there.

9456559674_8987da452f.jpg

Quick note to the OP:

Are you aware there is also a family board here at CC?

Not that you aren't getting good information here, but the family board may help you with specific questions about travel with young twins. :)

Thanks for the lead on the family discussion board. I will head over there for more photos.

Thanks for the photos of the little "Peapod" tents, those are the exact ones we have for the twins.

Special thanks for the logic about how little people whether small adults or normal size kids have long-term demands on ships that they do NOT have on airlines - even when we are trapped in there for half days or whatever. I can see now that little people really have different demands on a vessel than on a plane. I cannot fault the logic there. Thanks.

So I rang the rep and they were ever so helpful, I asked for adjoining rooms with adjoining balconies, and they are available, but we loose our "more the merrier" rate and are looking at about a $600 jump in fare.

We are considering it . . . Just because everyone will sleep so much better. It is rooms 5122/5124 and rooms 5123/5125. I am pretty certain you will all say it will really be worth the bump in the fare.

So I was looking for some reviews on the connecting rooms on YouTube and on the discussion boards. And I cannot find them.

However, some cruisers posted their concerns that while the rooms connect the partition between the balconies does not move.

I wonder if that is true for 5122/4 and 5123/5?

So I was looking for some reviews on the connecting rooms on YouTube and on the discussion boards. And I cannot find them.

However, some cruisers posted their concerns that while the rooms connect the partition between the balconies does not move.

We had connecting balcony room on the Legend. Never needed to open balconies partition since kids did not care about balcony. So we just used the one of the balconies. We also had connecting OV on Miracle, Pride, Allure of the Seas and never regretted extra expense , even though we are paying full price for them as 1st and 2nd passenger.

Can't say for those specific cabins. Some older ships require the partitions to be dismantled to join balconies. I believe the Allure has sliding partitions that you need to have the room steward open and lock open for you. Some balcony partitions cannot be opened if the cabins span two adjacent vertical fire zones. This was the problem on the Princess ship that had a balcony fire a few years back, so fire zones were extended out onto balconies. However, if the two cabins are adjoining (door between cabins), they cannot be spanning two fire zones, so the dividers should be openable. The Captain reserves the right to deny opening dividers, but this is fairly rare.

Have you looked to see if the interior/balcony connecting rooms are available? At the very front of the ship there is one on each side of the ship on decks 5, 6, and 7 I think.

When we were travelling with our kids on the miracle- this was our first choice as it gave them their own room and is a balcony. A little more affordable then 2X balcony room.

Book the cheapest inside upper lower room on the ship for one adult and one child. Book desired room (the room with desired balcony) for one adult and one child. Link rooms for dining. Move luggage to and sleep in desired room. Use other room for storage, aggressive bowel movements or possible adult sneak aways. Not the best option, but it gets you in the room you desire. Book earlier next time. Enjoy.

Just realize that even though you and your husband are being quite on the balcony so that the twins can sleep, sometimes the people in the hallways can be very loud at all hours of the night. Slamming doors, knocking on doors because they think its funny, carrying on.

We cruised last fall with our almost 3 year old and our 17 month old. The room steward put the mattress for one of the bunks on the floor at the foot of the big bed. Sure, there wasn't any room to walk around the bed to get to the balcony door but it wasn't hard to crawl across the bed to get to it. We didn't move it off the floor during the day since we needed to use it for nap times. Carnival provided a crib for the 17 month old - it was smaller than a regular crib and the average pack n okay but my DD slept well in it. We were on the Fascination so the room was pretty small but since we spent very little time in there it really wasn't a big deal. My advice is to not stress about the room size or how cluttered it will be. You really won't spend much time in there. I thought I'd use the balcony at nap time but I really didn't, maybe once. It's pretty noisy when you open the door!

Golfing Dan - GREAT tip! What does "link rooms for dining" mean?

Re: kids on cruises, what can I say - ? We have the cutest two-year olds in the world! (No lie! We used to feel that we needed to out them in the stroller and take them on long walks because almost everyone smiled when they saw them. -- We were lifting the serotonin level of our neighborhood! If you do not see kids to smile at them - ? - no harm, no foul.)

For those who don't understand why it took me a couple of days to write back . . . Sorry about that, but remember the bit about two two year-old twins! :-)

By the time they were two, my twins had something like 50,000 miles in the air and we never paid for them as full passengers. And all safely regulations were followed. And we were on red-eyes with sleeping cherubs - in fact BritAir has little cots that are attached to the bulkheads. Take note cruise lines who wish to cater to families. The AIRCRAFT designers are ahead of you. What does that say?

But I am beginning to understand that the cruise ships are different in the way they charge/define passengers.

There is one other cabin that DOES have four beds (even though we will only be using two of them #still bitter, haha), but it is currently booked. I wonder if we could get on a waiting list for that cabin. Maybe I could get the type of room that I want after all. Call me, bullheaded or diligent, either way I will keep after things until I get them.

An "AIRCRAFT" is not serving you food, desalinating water, cleaning your toilet, providing you a shower, emptying your trash, etc. for days and days at a time, and your children are sitting on your lap if they are not paying for seats.

You can keep after this issue all you want, you are not going to get your children on board for free.

This just in! My mother-in-law and father-in-law are going to join us!

Alas none of the adjoining rooms that are left accommodate six!

Any recommendations o wise ones!?

One balcony room and one inside across the hall. That's how we're traveling with the in-laws. Saves money and still gives the inside people access to a balcony.

This just in! My mother-in-law and father-in-law are going to join us!

Alas none of the adjoining rooms that are left accommodate six!

Any recommendations o wise ones!?

i still think that the MIL and FIL should book that cabin 6232 for 4 people and you take the one next to it.

the 6232 sleeps 4 the one next to it sleeps 2. open the divider for one very big balcony

Archived