Taking two year-old twins on the Pride

For those who don't understand why it took me a couple of days to write back . . . Sorry about that, but remember the bit about two two year-old twins! :-)

By the time they were two, my twins had something like 50,000 miles in the air and we never paid for them as full passengers. And all safely regulations were followed. And we were on red-eyes with sleeping cherubs - in fact BritAir has little cots that are attached to the bulkheads. Take note cruise lines who wish to cater to families. The AIRCRAFT designers are ahead of you. What does that say?

But I am beginning to understand that the cruise ships are different in the way they charge/define passengers.

There is one other cabin that DOES have four beds (even though we will only be using two of them #still bitter, haha), but it is currently booked. I wonder if we could get on a waiting list for that cabin. Maybe I could get the type of room that I want after all. Call me, bullheaded or diligent, either way I will keep after things until I get them.

Also pretty sure you will be charged daily service charge X 4...when we've had our grandkids with us everyone in the cabin is charged....

It is just a fact of life that the cruise industry, as regulated by the IMO, has different regulations regarding passenger capacity and berths (bed count) than the FAA and other countries' aviation regulations. While aviation allows for "infant in arms" over and above the number of seats on a plane, the IMO does not. Maximum capacity of a cruise ship is based on the number of lifeboat seats there are, and then there can be no more beds than that capacity. So a ship may be sailing below maximum capacity, but with all cabins sold, if the 3rd and 4th beds in some cabins are not being used. Conversely, the lines cannot sell a ticket without a bed, as the beds are the count towards capacity, and if they could sell tickets for people to sleep without a fixed bed (or fixed room capacity), then they could get into having overcapacity numbers of adults, not just children (to maximize profits), and you're back to not having enough lifeboat space.

The way it sounds she was a specific room...like maybe the scenic ocean view? I know there are only like 4 of those on a ship and I think 2 are quads and 2 are for 2 people...So maybe it's a specific type of room?? who knows as the response is vague....I would love to sail in an aft wrap...but they dont make those for 4 people so we will survive til our kids are older!

The difference here is that a cruise ship is not an airplane and has different regulations. No cruiseline is allowed to book 4 people in a cabin with 2 beds. They don't care who sleeps where. They just aren't allowed to book it that way.

Rules are rules, it doesn't matter what age. Have you considered leaving the little ones with grandparents while the two of you go? It is a viable option if either set of grandparents live in the same city/town and are capable of caring for the twins.

You can also call Carnival and IF the people booked in the quad only have two people, I think they'll move them and give you the cabin. Just an option. Sucks for them, but it's the chance you take if you book a cabin for four with less people than that.

Of course, that's only if they don't have a full four themselves.

We have cruised with our twins several times and always had a cabin allowing four or five depending on if our older son cruised. One time we had a suite and both twins slept in their pack n plays while our eldest had the double sofa -I believe that room could accommodate a rollaway if we had needed it for the fifth. We paid a lower rate for the three kids. Keep looking for a quad; 3rd and 4th person rates will be lower and hopefully your tents will fit and you won't be denied.

There are also some rooms with trundles where the twins could sleep on the floor between two twins...ask a TA if you are interested in that, but you would still need a cabin with a quad, or quintet, capacity (that room may have one or two upper bunks, probably two).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

We have cruised with our twins several times and always had a cabin allowing four or five depending on if our older son cruised. One time we had a suite and both twins slept in their pack n plays while our eldest had the double sofa -I believe that room could accommodate a rollaway if we had needed it for the fifth. We paid a lower rate for the three kids. Keep looking for a quad; 3rd and 4th person rates will be lower and hopefully your tents will fit and you won't be denied.

There are also some rooms with trundles where the twins could sleep on the floor between two twins...ask a TA if you are interested in that, but you would still need a cabin with a quad, or quintet, capacity (that room may have one or two upper bunks, probably two).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

Bottom line is they will not allow 4 people in a room that does not have occupancy for 4, whether the OP thinks they will fit or not.

Pretty simple here, either you choose the room with only 2 adults, 2 life jackets, 2 seats on the lifeboat or choose the room for 4 people, 4 life jackets 4 seats on the lifeboat. Your childrens safety is number one not the room.;)

For those who don't understand why it took me a couple of days to write back . . . Sorry about that, but remember the bit about two two year-old twins! :-)

By the time they were two, my twins had something like 50,000 miles in the air and we never paid for them as full passengers. And all safely regulations were followed. And we were on red-eyes with sleeping cherubs - in fact BritAir has little cots that are attached to the bulkheads. Take note cruise lines who wish to cater to families. The AIRCRAFT designers are ahead of you. What does that say?

But I am beginning to understand that the cruise ships are different in the way they charge/define passengers.

There is one other cabin that DOES have four beds (even though we will only be using two of them #still bitter, haha), but it is currently booked. I wonder if we could get on a waiting list for that cabin. Maybe I could get the type of room that I want after all. Call me, bullheaded or diligent, either way I will keep after things until I get them.

As an aside, airlines will start charging you for the twins once they are over 24 months.

PS I have twins too (plus another)

I really really like you guys. You are all very persistent, too.

Couple of quick answers: No, not a first time cruiser; me and the better half took a Baltic Sea cruise donkeys-years ago on Holland America to get away from the heat and humidity of Washington DC in August. It was AMAZING. Many years, ago . . . alas, and now many toddlers ago!

No, we do not have grandparents who can sit them. We intend to take our first holiday away from them next year we have to go to Tokyo for work. We think they will do better when they are three and their parents are away from them for a long time.

Yes, we have already booked a quad. When we booked originally we booked a quad and then we realized that although we thought we were getting an EXTENDED balcony, we were MERELY an 8B category.

So, this is all about bringing TWO toddlers INTO A TEENSY ROOM and then having to be silent from around 7 or 8 at night with NO ROOM TO WALK as their pop up travel tents will be on the floor.

So remember we are going to be on the balcony after the twins fall asleep, right? And we originally had a 40sq.ft. space. So that's when I turned to your amazing forum here. Due to the amazing detailed posts here, I realized that we need to be in room 6232 to maximize the value of our evenings and maybe lounge, that is chaise lounge away the evening with ocean breezes. (We were inside the back of the beyond on our Baltic Sea cruise . . . much younger days.)

So. Here's the gig: 6232 is already booked. But the SAME ROOM with the amazing deck is available on another two decks. However, 6232 is the ONLY quad. The 7258 and 8232 are doubles. And yep, you guessed it -- the double is available the quad is not. So I started by asking you seasoned old sea dogs how to get them to let four of us into a double room. I am now accepting defeat.

You have all been SUPER nice and REALLY helpful. Thank you.

By the way, Engineer, does this mean that when we were flying all over with the twins as "lap infants" there was no room in the plane's lifeboats for them?

Hey wait, here's another thing, the cruise ship couldn't issue say, let's call them "tickets," (lol) for all the travelers -- like planes do -- and then the authorities would KNOW how many people were on the ship and not overbook the lifeboats.

Just saying . . .

;-)

Couple of quick answers: No, not a first time cruiser; me and the better half took a Baltic Sea cruise donkeys-years ago on Holland America to get away from the heat and humidity of Washington DC in August. It was AMAZING. Many years, ago . . . alas, and now many toddlers ago!

No, we do not have grandparents who can sit them. We intend to take our first holiday away from them next year we have to go to Tokyo for work. We think they will do better when they are three and their parents are away from them for a long time.

Yes, we have already booked a quad. When we booked originally we booked a quad and then we realized that although we thought we were getting an EXTENDED balcony, we were MERELY an 8B category.

So, this is all about bringing TWO toddlers INTO A TEENSY ROOM and then having to be silent from around 7 or 8 at night with NO ROOM TO WALK as their pop up travel tents will be on the floor.

So remember we are going to be on the balcony after the twins fall asleep, right? And we originally had a 40sq.ft. space. So that's when I turned to your amazing forum here. Due to the amazing detailed posts here, I realized that we need to be in room 6232 to maximize the value of our evenings and maybe lounge, that is chaise lounge away the evening with ocean breezes. (We were inside the back of the beyond on our Baltic Sea cruise . . . much younger days.)

So. Here's the gig: 6232 is already booked. But the SAME ROOM with the amazing deck is available on another two decks. However, 6232 is the ONLY quad. The 7258 and 8232 are doubles. And yep, you guessed it -- the double is available the quad is not. So I started by asking you seasoned old sea dogs how to get them to let four of us into a double room. I am now accepting defeat.

By the way, Engineer, does this mean that when we were flying all over with the twins as "lap infants" there was no room in the plane's lifeboats for them?

Hey wait, here's another thing, the cruise ship couldn't issue say, let's call them "tickets," (lol) for all the travelers -- like planes do -- and then the authorities would KNOW how many people were on the ship and not overbook the lifeboats.

Just saying . . .

;-)

I know that the IACA regulates international air travel the way that the IMO does for marine commerce. I don't know what the IACA regulations are for aircraft liferaft capacity compared to aircraft capacity, but I do know the IMO rregulations. Due to the relatively small number of passengers on even the largest airliner, they may have excess raft capacity to cover infants in arms. that is not the case on large passenger vessels where the lifeboat/liferaft capacity is 100% of maximum number of people onboard. I have seen where a ship will have a problem with one lifeboat (say the engine won't start, and it needs a part that is not onboard), and the company has to bump 150 people from the next cruise because there is insufficient lifeboat capacity. It may be that given the lack of air disasters at sea, compared to maritime incidents like Titanic, Andrea Doria, and Morro Castle, that the IACA has not felt the need to tighten regulations regarding liferafts. I do know that "using your seat cushion" as floatation would not cut it with IMO.

And they do issue tickets for each person onboard, the tickets are based on the beds. If a room has two beds, two tickets. Each cabin at the time the ship is built, is certified for a maximum number of people to be accommodated in that cabin. Therefore, just because a quad cabin only has two people in it, you cannot play musical chairs and put two more people (no matter how small) into another cabin.

Just saying . . .

;-)

Have you called Carnival to see if the folks in 6232 are only two and if they are, would they mind moving to one of the other cabins? And if there is a difference in cost you would pick that up?

OP, I have ready our posts and I believe that I understand your issues. Quad rooms are very limited (especially ones with extended, aft or wrap balconies. I recall cruising with children and the issues that it caused. Hopefully your children will enjoy camp carnival activities during your cruising career. Regrettably, our daughter did not. Candidly, this period of cruising was less than fully enjoyable. When she became a teen, we brought a friend and booked a second (close) room. When she went to college she went with her friends on separate cruises.

Suggestions for FUTURE cruises. Find your destination and the stateroom that totally fits your needs (strongly suggest aft extended or wrap for you) and book it about one year in advance. This way you can get the exact stateroom that fits your family needs. Book using Early Saver and watch the fares drop during the next year and apply for OBC with each drop. There even a free web service that gives you notice of every fare movement.

Really hope that your little ones likes CC. If they do, this will give you and your spouse vacation time. Btw, you may also want to order a fan from the room steward for the room to create white noise for the children and possible night time opportunities for the parents.

Just saying . . .

;-)

How about checking if any connecting rooms are available? Yes, would cost a little bit more but everyone will be comfortable and plenty of room for 4 of you. I have kids 5 & 12 now and we always get two cabins - never regretted extra expense.

Just saying . . .

;-)

I understand that you understand;). Still believe they will not bend at all on this issue. They could displace another cabin that ahs a quad cabin with less than 4 in it. Let us know how it all works out. We had 5 (and the last two are twins, so I can relate). BTW, exactly how long is donkey years?:D

That is a good tip about connecting rooms. And it would it give them extra quiet as we are moving onto and off of the balcony. We do generally stay in family suites when staying at hotels, after all they are in an unusual space and meals and naps were probably not as routine as they need them to be. Thanks.

Think of it from a business standpoint. Even though it's your vacation, it's Carnival's business.

A ship is only permitted to have a certain number of souls on board. So your twins will count as two. Your two-person cabin would then have four souls. Meaning Carnival will need to undersell a cabin with four beds to make "room" for your two on the floor.

It's easier to simply choose a four-person cabin. Our four-year-old prefers sleeping on the cabin floor and we have to book a four-bed cabin every time.

Agree!

Plus, it is more than just where they sleep.

The use towels, water, TP; they eat food, create dirty dishes to wash and occupy chairs in the MDR; they occupy space in the pool; they generate sewage and trash.

They may be 2 small people, but they are 2 people! Pay accordingly!

Using the OPs reasoning, PAX who are true little people (have dwarfism) would only pay half and large/tall PAX woudl pay double.......

have you considered moving weeks to a time when you can get 6232?

http://travelingnuts.com/2011cruise/images/DSCN0188.JPG

or have you considered booked 7258 and book another cheaper cabin somewhere else on the ship jsut for booking purposes?

you still will have your cabin it just will cost a tad more

I can't imagine bringing small ones on a cruise and sharing the same cabin unless one is so dedicated to giving up night activities, actually giving up the cabin to keep young ones on a sleep schedule.

At least with adjoining cabins, some sense of normalcy can be maintained, whether it's watching t.v., showering, even conversation. Just sitting on a balcony for hours on end doesn't sound like fun.

You all raise really good points! I wish my parents discussion boards were as helpful as this one!

But I respectfully disagree with only one sentiment - sitting, simply sitting.

Maybe Lounging. Sipping an adult beverage, perhaps. Getting to remember who my better half is besides being a parent. All with an ocean breeze? More fun than I ever would have DREAMED! :-)

You all raise really good points! I wish my parents discussion boards were as helpful as this one!

Maybe Lounging. Sipping an adult beverage, perhaps. Getting to remember who my better half is besides being a parent. All with an ocean breeze? More fun than I ever would have DREAMED! :-)

Parental advice for twin two-year olds? "Abandon hope all ye who enter"

While I see the ocean outside my office (and cabin) 180 days a year, I'll agree that sitting on a balcony with my wife and a cold one is great. However, I will also agree with Ruthless that I would be bugs*** crazy after one night if there were two little ones sleeping in the room. Adjoining cabin would be a must.

Hour after hour............night after night?

Archived