Kota Kinabalu

Aussieflyer

I will be calling at KK on QM2 in March 2014. The ship's shore excursions are very poor. I had thought about visiting the Orangutan sanctuary at Rasa Ria and spending some time at the hotel there using a private tour or taxi. I can find one tour (Tours by Locals) that does the sanctuary.

What have others done at this port? There is very little on the board. I have looked at Tripadvisor but most of the posts are for people on land holidays.

Any suggestions welcomed :)

• 2 weeks later...

The best thing we did when in Kota Kinabalu was the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Center. However, it is far and expensive to get to (but can be done on an 8 hour excursion).

Here is a link to some tours from Kota Kinabulu http://www.viator.com/Kota-Kinabalu-tours/Day-Trips-and-Excursions/d4171-g5

Edited by Travelcat2

I will be calling at KK on QM2 in March 2014. The ship's shore excursions are very poor. I had thought about visiting the Orangutan sanctuary at Rasa Ria and spending some time at the hotel there using a private tour or taxi. I can find one tour (Tours by Locals) that does the sanctuary.

What have others done at this port? There is very little on the board. I have looked at Tripadvisor but most of the posts are for people on land holidays.

Any suggestions welcomed :)

Is this near Kangaroo Island?

• 2 weeks later...

The orangutan sanctuary at Rasa Ria is a great experience , its about an hours drive from KK there are orphaned young there , you can get up very close to them for photos .

The sepilock sanctuary involves a flight in a small plane and as the Orangutan are in a more natural environment there is a chance that you may not even see them .

As you are only there for one day you could do the Rasa Ria and also check out the local market in KK we can recommend the Jesselton hotel for a great lunch at a reasonable price .

Enjoy

Keenmolly

• 1 year later...

hi there we are joining qm2 in hk on 21 February and sailing to Sydney. We are interested in snorkelling in Kota Kinabalu. has anyone organised any excursions as there is not much being offered by the ship.

Also is it possible to join the cruise critic group on the ship?

Waterrose:)

hi there we are joining qm2 in hk on 21 February and sailing to Sydney. We are interested in snorkelling in Kota Kinabalu. has anyone organised any excursions as there is not much being offered by the ship.

Also is it possible to join the cruise critic group on the ship?

Waterrose:)

Hi Waterrose,

There is a roll call for this cruise (I think this is what you mean by the cruise critic group). Go to the Roll Calls segment, choose Cunard, then QM2 and you will see the Hong Kong to Sydney roll call. Just join up (you need to be logged in to CC in order to post).

I don't recall any mention of any excursions being organised though.

Thank you Keenmolly this is the one thing i have come see the Orang utangs you have confirmed that it takes an hour to get there.

Is anybody on the Celebrity cruise Centry ship leaving Singapore on the 8th March, docking at Kota Kinabalu on the 19th March intrested in sharing a taxi to Rasa Ria this would have to be a morning visit starting at 8.30am from the ship as the morning visit starts at 10.00am the afternoon visit starts at 2.00pm and the ship leaves at 3.00pm.

If anyone is intrested i can give them more information later.

OP, we were in KK in December aboard the Azamara Quest. None of the ship's excursions enticed us so we looked at local outfitters for additional choices. We ended up taking a day tour with Amazing Borneo, which offers a wide variety of day trips, from snorkeling to white water rafting to hiking. We considered spending the day at Reef World (a pontoon/boat similar to some in the Great Barrier Reef with snorkeling, diving, water sports and lunch), but ended up taking a mountain tour (rafflesia centre, waterfall park, butterfly farm). It was a beautiful day, and the guide and driver could not have been more knowledgeable or nicer. Very professional company, quick replies to all of our emails. Would recommend it.