Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Me too.

I can't remember whether you have said ... where in France do you and chez him reside? Paris?

Apartment in Paris, house in Burgundy, just near Beaune. (Nice wine!)

I'm actually here in England much more than I'm in France lately, I stay with my brother and his wife, they let me lodge on the cheap, so I can save up and have more hols :D

Apartment in Paris, house in Burgundy, just near Beaune. (Nice wine!)

I'm actually here in England much more than I'm in France lately, I stay with my brother and his wife, they let me lodge on the cheap, so I can save up and have more hols :D

Lucky Bunny!

Where in Paris? Where do you like eating?! You knew I'd ask .... :D

"Er indoors always insists on Bofinger and Coupole and Charlot for the crustaceans .... Carré des Feuillants for the lunch menu ....

:)

EDITED: Do you remember when the customers and waiters occupied Bofinger and Coupole when they were taken over :)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Lucky Bunny!

Where in Paris? Where do you like eating?! You knew I'd ask .... :D

"Er indoors always insists on Bofinger and Coupole and Charlot for the crustaceans .... Carré des Feuillants for the lunch menu ....

:)

EDITED: Do you remember when the customers and waiters occupied Bofinger and Coupole when they were taken over :)

I don't spend much time in Paris because the apartment really is a shoebox, just somewhere for my husband to sleep when he's working there. It's in the 7e, in the Eiffel Tower/Invalides area and the location is great because it's Parisian, ie not really touristy, good local bistros and food shops. More tourists do seem to be venturing into the area to eat in the last 4 or 5 years or so.

Foodwise we prefer somewhere very local that we can walk to. Some favourites are Le P'tit Troquet, L'Escapade (small menu but an historic confit de canard). If we're meeting friends for dinner who are tourists, we usually take them to Le Petit Bordelais, which has a great Tasting menu with matched wines. They do a fantastic lobster and pistachio terrine at this time of year, and various things with crab during the warmer months.

A longer walk, just the other side of the Luxembourg gardens we have a favourite that's a Greek restaurant, Le Mavrommatis. They have a bistrot too near Place Vendome but it's only open at lunch I think. Nice for a taste of the Med with a French twist.

For fine dining, I adore Epicure at the Le Bristol Hotel. The hotel was refurbished about 4 years ago and I'm very happy to have seen it go from strength to strength ever since. Wonderful hard working people, nothing is ever too much trouble, it's my favourite hotel in Paris, 3 Michelin star restaurant with a price tag to match. :eek: They do chicken in a pig's bladder which is a production when it's served and a great talking point if you've taken friends there :eek:.

Sorry it was an essay!

oh yes I do remember the sit in I think that was about 20 years ago now? The were right, never been the same since Flo took over....

He looks so happy, and so cool !

Yes ... he has a smart agent now. Won't talk on the telephone. Insists on bottled water in the suite rather than that carafe recycled muck. He is currently negotiating with a starring role with another line .... but it's currently under wraps ....

Last time I saw him he was dating a leggy blonde model.

I don't spend much time in Paris because the apartment really is a shoebox, just somewhere for my husband to sleep when he's working there. It's in the 7e, in the Eiffel Tower/Invalides area and the location is great because it's Parisian, ie not really touristy, good local bistros and food shops. More tourists do seem to be venturing into the area to eat in the last 4 or 5 years or so.

Foodwise we prefer somewhere very local that we can walk to. Some favourites are Le P'tit Troquet, L'Escapade (small menu but an historic confit de canard). If we're meeting friends for dinner who are tourists, we usually take them to Le Petit Bordelais, which has a great Tasting menu with matched wines. They do a fantastic lobster and pistachio terrine at this time of year, and various things with crab during the warmer months.

A longer walk, just the other side of the Luxembourg gardens we have a favourite that's a Greek restaurant, Le Mavrommatis. They have a bistrot too near Place Vendome but it's only open at lunch I think. Nice for a taste of the Med with a French twist.

For fine dining, I adore Epicure at the Le Bristol Hotel. The hotel was refurbished about 4 years ago and I'm very happy to have seen it go from strength to strength ever since. Wonderful hard working people, nothing is ever too much trouble, it's my favourite hotel in Paris, 3 Michelin star restaurant with a price tag to match. :eek: They do chicken in a pig's bladder which is a production when it's served and a great talking point if you've taken friends there :eek:.

Sorry it was an essay!

oh yes I do remember the sit in I think that was about 20 years ago now? The were right, never been the same since Flo took over....

Your life in Paris sounds wonderful ... and so envious of your pied a terre. I miss my Saturday nights working in Paris .... and being taken around by "The Girlfriend" - I meant to ask ... had your hubby heard of her or is he too young?

Do they still have the wooden shed cafes in Luxembourg? So unexpected.

I rembember going there on one particular rainy day for some shelter and being somewhat suprised to see two dinner suited waiters in what was a shed. My welcome was a sniff of utter disadain. All the other gnarled incumbents grimaced and glared. I said to Jean "I'll win them over" ;) I was asked what I wanted. This was breakfast time. "deux espresso at deux Ricard s'il vous plait". A smile "bien sur monsieur". We all ended up chatting. I think they thought that for a few minutes in the rain I was one of them at heart. :)

Lady who lunch @ Coupole ... couldn't resist taking a piccy ...

03150004_zps2788fd7b.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Your life in Paris sounds wonderful ... and so envious of your pied a terre. I miss my Saturday nights working in Paris .... and being taken around by "The Girlfriend" - I meant to ask ... had your hubby heard of her or is he too young?

Do they still have the wooden shed cafes in Luxembourg? So unexpected.

I rembember going there on one particular rainy day for some shelter and being somewhat suprised to see two dinner suited waiters in what was a shed. My welcome was a sniff of utter disadain. All the other gnarled incumbents grimaced and glared. I said to Jean "I'll win them over" ;) I was asked what I wanted. This was breakfast time. "deux espresso at deux Ricard s'il vous plait". A smile "bien sur monsieur". We all ended up chatting. I think they thought that for a few minutes in the rain I was one of them at heart. :)

Lady who lunch @ Coupole ... couldn't resist taking a piccy ...

03150004_zps2788fd7b.jpg

Ricard at breakfast.... Funnily enough some waiters in Paris are more sniffy with me because I go in with a Frenchie and still can't speak their language properly. It visibly riles them.

I did ask him about your lady friend when we talked about it, that was a few months ago now wasn't it ? He's too young to remember, only in his mid 40's I like 'em still dribbling milk ;)

Don't be too envious, I spend 80% of my time in Lancashire during the winter. :D Burgundy is my favourite place and to me does feel like God's own country, but that may be because of my predeliction for fine wines!

Speaking of Lancashire, Mr Lux's Famous 5 are all now here and ready to discuss final plans for our Hong Kong to Singapore cruise. I'm doing Yorkshire pudding tomorrow (very apt in Lancs), any tips Jeff? I usually do Delia's version. You may remember that my name on here is Nigella, based on an ironic twist that I shared her surname before I was married, and that I'm hopeless in the kitchen.:eek:

Ricard at breakfast.... Funnily enough some waiters in Paris are more sniffy with me because I go in with a Frenchie and still can't speak their language properly. It visibly riles them.

I did ask him about your lady friend when we talked about it, that was a few months ago now wasn't it ? He's too young to remember, only in his mid 40's I like 'em still dribbling milk ;)

Don't be too envious, I spend 80% of my time in Lancashire during the winter. :D Burgundy is my favourite place and to me does feel like God's own country, but that may be because of my predeliction for fine wines!

Speaking of Lancashire, Mr Lux's Famous 5 are all now here and ready to discuss final plans for our Hong Kong to Singapore cruise. I'm doing Yorkshire pudding tomorrow (very apt in Lancs), any tips Jeff? I usually do Delia's version. You may remember that my name on here is Nigella, based on an ironic twist that I shared her surname before I was married, and that I'm hopeless in the kitchen.:eek:

It is really debilitating that so many Parisian waiting staff can still be so rude to foreigners. They tried thatmayor initiated charm offensive for a few years ... but basically they just became more offensive. What is even worst is that I always advise friends to just try a few words of French however bad because the French will normally always be really nice to people that simply try French. But in Paris as you say this can still often just generate abuse.

I have had the odd few words with rude waiters. The worst was when one assumed I couldn't understand the comments he was making to his colleague. So I waited until he delivered the meal (I was seething) and said (in French) "So I am a sh*&ty foreigner am I - who could p*%s off back home? Well ... I will do as you request and you can pay for the meal" ... and we got up and left.

:D

The yorkjshire pud thing in my view is 50/50 water milk and a loose mix, a very hot oven, but put the pan on a hob to get it smoking when you put the batter in.

40's .....that is young! :D

She was terribly French

From (in the '60's ...)

Nicole+Croisille.jpg

to ....... (she has aged well ....)

256969.jpg

40's .....that is young! :D

She was terribly French

From (in the '60's ...)

Nicole+Croisille.jpg

to ....... (she has aged well ....)

256969.jpg

Gorgeous, and very French looking. Can you imagine the uproar now if a record was released with the cover showing the artiste smoking? :D

I meant to ask you about the Jardin du Luxembourg, did you know about the duck house they have? I wondered if a Tory MP had placed it there ;)

There's a large bee hive thing also, can't remember the proper name for it.

There's still a very large cafe that serves food, and when I was last there maybe two years ago there were the small ones that just serve drinks.

Unfortunately the Jardin is like a zoo now most of the time, especially when the Sorbonne is in session. Even I can remember back when it wasn't really on the usual tourist trail, but it is now. If I'm in need of green space I prefer to go to Place des Vosges, still relatively unknown. I blame t'internet for all the bloody tourists !

Gorgeous, and very French looking. Can you imagine the uproar now if a record was released with the cover showing the artiste smoking? :D

I meant to ask you about the Jardin du Luxembourg, did you know about the duck house they have? I wondered if a Tory MP had placed it there ;)

There's a large bee hive thing also, can't remember the proper name for it.

There's still a very large cafe that serves food, and when I was last there maybe two years ago there were the small ones that just serve drinks.

Unfortunately the Jardin is like a zoo now most of the time, especially when the Sorbonne is in session. Even I can remember back when it wasn't really on the usual tourist trail, but it is now. If I'm in need of green space I prefer to go to Place des Vosges, still relatively unknown. I blame t'internet for all the bloody tourists !

I know it is funny how those things changed. That was the one all over the record shops on my first visit. It was strange in London she was completely unknown just the "DJ's French Bird" and in Paris it was " The Singer's English Bloke". She actually got me one of my Saturday night jobs ... which came about solely because a French guy introduced The Animals as being a famous Liverpool band and Eric Burden was so incensed he refused to "go on". So they decided a Brit might know a bit more ..... and then on for an all nighter at a place I think was called the Locomotive to play some records. Two jobs in one night for a few months. Some people are lucky in life to have failed at several careers rather than just the one ......;)

On our last visit I took Jean to Le Caveau des Oubliettes and we plonked ourselves down at the table next to "the blade". She said, "this guillotine looks really real ..... weren't they clever ......." I said "It is real ...." you should have seen her face!:D

Also on the French/English front ... we were at Bofinger on that visit under the cupola ... and the English guy on the next table started to get very agitated with the waiter who was clearly confused ..... complaining about a hair in his salad .... and I had to explain to him he was actually saying to the waiter in French that he had a big black horse in his salad.:D

Franglais works for me.

How do you upload pics to CC? I did it once but it was tiny...

The easiest thing is to use something like Photobucket we use if for our security cameras which uploads anything that moves all day.

eg doormat cam ...

IPC001049227-2014-0222-1211-46_zps29c71e14.jpg

gardencam ....

IPC002035199-2014-0222-1215-55_zps92489a88.jpg

... front door cam

IPC001054083-2014-0128-1255-58_zps645a663d.jpg

Loads of cameras (20 in all I think ) means we're ok when away ... We log in and have a look to see that alls well. I also use it to back up pictures

You can get a free account. You then either upload pics or upload from an ipad via an app. You then just hit a "direct link" on the piccy and paste it into the picture link in CC. I don't bother with the tappawallah thingy anymore.

If you want any more info let me know. Happy to help.

Nigella .... just trying tapatalk with piccies to see if that might work for you .... this evenings pizza ...

If the piccy posts then this might be your solution if you use an ipad or iphone ..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393098831.171292.jpg.940f3f983560f0437ccd7e593d55e34d.jpg

EDITED: Pictures seem small but I think they can be clicked on .... prefer to use the pc for posting I think :)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

I know it is funny how those things changed. That was the one all over the record shops on my first visit. It was strange in London she was completely unknown just the "DJ's French Bird" and in Paris it was " The Singer's English Bloke". She actually got me one of my Saturday night jobs ... which came about solely because a French guy introduced The Animals as being a famous Liverpool band and Eric Burden was so incensed he refused to "go on". So they decided a Brit might know a bit more ..... and then on for an all nighter at a place I think was called the Locomotive to play some records. Two jobs in one night for a few months. Some people are lucky in life to have failed at several careers rather than just the one ......;)

On our last visit I took Jean to Le Caveau des Oubliettes and we plonked ourselves down at the table next to "the blade". She said, "this guillotine looks really real ..... weren't they clever ......." I said "It is real ...." you should have seen her face!:D

Also on the French/English front ... we were at Bofinger on that visit under the cupola ... and the English guy on the next table started to get very agitated with the waiter who was clearly confused ..... complaining about a hair in his salad .... and I had to explain to him he was actually saying to the waiter in French that he had a big black horse in his salad.:D

Franglais works for me.

At the time I imagine Liverpool was the only other city in Britain that most French people had heard of. Pity they missed a live rendition of House of the Rising Sun though ;)

Funny you mentioned the guillotine, I was seated next to one in a restaurant elsewhere. Can't recall now where it was, Lyon perhaps. Horrible feeling being sat next to it, put me right off my food.

And really, whats the difference between cheval/chevaux and cheveux between friends. :D

I forgot to comment on Ted's insistence on bottled water. I don't blame him at all, I fink they're right cheeky blighters 'andin out them carafes wot they use instead now. ;)

I use ipad/iphone for pics these days, so will investigate those options you've posted for getting pics on here.

Onwards and upwards, I've got a yorkshire pudding to make !

G'morning.

Remember the egg! Just a loose flour mix, in the fridge for a while and straight to hot fat. Good luck.

Forgot to reply about Luxembourg. Not seen it for some time I'm afraid ... I use to walk Jean all the way from Montparnasse to Place du Tetre ... a lovely long walk.

Ipad and the tapatalk app I think will be the easiest option and although the piccies may be small, I think ease is better than size for you and it means that you might actually post some pics if it were less hassle. Basically from the tapatalk app you just upload from your picture roll. Have a play on this thread before you need to use it in earnest. Download tappawallah today, take a piccy of your YP and upload .....:) Just realised I have a link upthread to the secuirty piccies which I delete every day ....:rolleyes: What an idiot I am.

The thread is attracting a few lurkers ... I do so hope they join in and make some new friends here ...

Hi Jeff.

I was slightly traumatised as I thought Watercooler had been removed as it's not a sticky,and which meant I had no way to thank you for all your help with our trip to Vienna.

Wow, Vienna was captivating. we had an amazing time, and not long enough!

Can't wait to return. Thanks to you we found our way around easily. The day at Schonnbrunn was wonderful. The kids loved the Zoo, and we had blue skies and sun. We took the U Bahn to Schonnbrunn and left after seeing the new baby Panda through the Heitzing exit. this was great advice and as we made our way to the station we found a Lindt store, so my kids say thank you for the chance to have had the best Hot Chocolates ever!

We visited the Natural History Museum which was fantastic ,and also the Art History Museum which you also mentioned. Did you know there is a display of Faberge Eggs and Jewels on display until May? hopefully you will be able to see these on your next trip. We had lunch at both Demel, and Cafe Central both great and also 3 types of Wursts at Bitzinger near the Opera. I had mine with a snipe of Champagne- Great fun. Speaking of Opera, have you been? Both of my kids want to go next time as the photos advertising it look great. We couldn't go as we hadn't brought suitable clothes.

You should try Cantinetta Antinori if you can as it was wonderful and the food and service was fantastic.

Nigella, I can't recommend Vienna enough. It is a city that you can happily get lost in and still be wowed by your surroundings. There is something fabulous to see at every turn. The people are so friendly and could"t help enough when we were looking for directions with my Pigeon German. It is sooo Beautiful we hated leaving. Can't wait to return. Thanks for the inspiration Jeff!

Hi Jeff.

I was slightly traumatised as I thought Watercooler had been removed as it's not a sticky,and which meant I had no way to thank you for all your help with our trip to Vienna.

Wow, Vienna was captivating. we had an amazing time, and not long enough!

Can't wait to return. Thanks to you we found our way around easily. The day at Schonnbrunn was wonderful. The kids loved the Zoo, and we had blue skies and sun. We took the U Bahn to Schonnbrunn and left after seeing the new baby Panda through the Heitzing exit. this was great advice and as we made our way to the station we found a Lindt store, so my kids say thank you for the chance to have had the best Hot Chocolates ever!

We visited the Natural History Museum which was fantastic ,and also the Art History Museum which you also mentioned. Did you know there is a display of Faberge Eggs and Jewels on display until May? hopefully you will be able to see these on your next trip. We had lunch at both Demel, and Cafe Central both great and also 3 types of Wursts at Bitzinger near the Opera. I had mine with a snipe of Champagne- Great fun. Speaking of Opera, have you been? Both of my kids want to go next time as the photos advertising it look great. We couldn't go as we hadn't brought suitable clothes.

You should try Cantinetta Antinori if you can as it was wonderful and the food and service was fantastic.

Nigella, I can't recommend Vienna enough. It is a city that you can happily get lost in and still be wowed by your surroundings. There is something fabulous to see at every turn. The people are so friendly and could"t help enough when we were looking for directions with my Pigeon German. It is sooo Beautiful we hated leaving. Can't wait to return. Thanks for the inspiration Jeff!

Grüß Gott Sakaara .... lovely to hear you enjoyed Vienna so much.

The thing that has caused me to smile most is hearing you did have some wurst with champagne. How more cultured can it get than that?! :D

Re the opera. Our last visit left us slightly off-centre. I have some music-industry friends in Vienna and we were due to be there during the annual Jazz festival. We were offered and accepted some freeby front row tickets for Patti La Belle ie voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir . I hadn't realised how much of a gay icon she was. My wife was near enough the only female. She was not impressed with me. PlaB came on ... sweated and started to stick pieces of toilet paper from a roll all over her face. Everyone stood up and ovated. My wife and I sunk further down into our seats. We were of course right under her papered nose. She glared because we didn't ovate. We didn't stay for the second half. I don't think she would have missed us. :o

I am so pleased you have acquired Vienna on your love list.

Where next? :)

Hi Jeff, your Opera story is hilarious, what an experience!

We are thinking of returning to Vienna for a few days before Christmas, any tips on the Markets?

We Fly to Florida for Summer but haven't decided what to do yet. We have never been to Key West so perhaps a few days there and Naples also.

How about you, any trips planned ?