Private Island

mickey-mouse

How is Norwegian's Private Island? I have been on Disney's Castaway Cay and RCCL's private island-Labadee and really liked the visit to the private islands, but was wondering about NCL's?

Fine :D What can you say about a private island. It's pretty, clean, has plenty of beach area, plenty of shade area. Can't speak of the activities as DH and I just walk around, explore, have lunch and go back to the boat.

I've never been on Labadee but have been on Castaway Cay. Castaway Cay is nicer than Great Stirrup Cay, in my opinion. First of all, you dock at CC and tender to GSC. If I remember (it's been a while) CC had a nicer beach area, an adult only beach, more activities and nicer washrooms. Having said that, I still love GSC. NCL has made many improvements and is continuing to update the island.

We went to GSC this summer and loved it! We had only been to CC before this and were worried it wouldn't hold up in comparison. It did. The snorkeling was as good here as CC and we loved the island. Yes you had to tender but it wasn't a big deal. The biggest negative is the shopping area. Blah. After CC and all the island exclusive merchandise, GSC was a huge disappointment.

They are making lots and lots of improvements on the island and when they are done it will be one of the best private islands out there.

Just back from GSC

Island is beautiful

No shade--only by picnic area--best deal is to rent a clam shell for $29-(and you get priority tendering)

Beach very very rocky all sizes from small to big boulders. Many people did not go into the water due to this. Very hard to walk

Snorkeling good but must wear life vest-so if you bring your own equipment you will still need to rent vest for $15-

Food-OK

We had a great enjoyable day there

Safe sailing

I just thought I would post some pictures.

The area is very beautiful and so is the water:

IMG_7427-M.jpg

There's not very much as far as shopping. There's a few huts here and there. I did manage to find a tee shirt that said "Bahamas, Great Stirrup Cay" on it that was embroidered and I found my daughter a cute sun dress with palm trees on it.

IMG_0985-M.jpg

As someone mentioned about the rocks and boulders everywhere that people couldn't even swim. We didn't find it to be that bad. They had the dozers out scooping up the bigger rocks over by the hippo slide and they were working really hard on the place when we were there. They also had employees out there with rakes to rake up rocks as you can see in this picture in the distance. Also above, you can tell that we didn't find the rocks to be a problem and things were pretty smooth.

IMG_0988-M.jpg

As for the shade, they do have palm trees everywhere, but they are "young" trees and do not provide a lot of shade as you can tell in this picture.

IMG_0987-M.jpg

A view of the beach from behind the chairs. We found it to be sandy and easy to walk on.

IMG_0989-M.jpg

Another view of the beach leading down to the water

IMG_0990-M.jpg

This is the "shady" area by the food where you can sit and eat:

IMG_7506-M.jpg

Otherwise you will be out in the sun eating:

IMG_7503-M.jpg

My daughter playing in the sand by the water

IMG_7507-M.jpg

Going out in the water

IMG_7511-M.jpg

An area that shows some of the rocks along the beach. It wasn't anything major and looked like they had been washed up along the shore maybe? (Since they were in a row)

IMG_7518-M.jpg

It's like a bbq buffet for the meal. Of course it's NCL's private island, so they are making the food.

(I don't know what the stuff was down by my pickle but it was so good I had to go back for more)

IMG_7501-M.jpg

The snorkeling was ok. You could find plenty of sea life with tons of fish:

IMG_7488-M.jpg

You will find sea anemones

IMG_1008-M.jpg

IMG_1022-M.jpg

Watch your feet for the sea urchins too

IMG_1012-M.jpg

You can go pretty far out and it's still not too deep. There are huge rocks out that way to stand on with your head above the water. Just make sure that you take the time to peek underneath them. You'll find critters and fish hiding.

IMG_7455-M.jpg

You will also find coral

IMG_7492-M.jpg

I found this big guy hiding under the rocks so beware

IMG_1045-M.jpg

We did not snorkel all the way out to the huge rocks that stick out of the water. Everyone said the snorkeling out there was amazing and there was a lot out there including barracudas (which I have seen plenty enough times and wouldn't really care if I ever seen one again because they are scary and unpredictable).

I also have to say that we snorkeled without vest. I'm not sure if it's now a requirement since someone else mentioned it. Or, maybe this is if you do their "snorkeling tour" around the area that they require you to have on a vest.

This is the entrance coming in while tendering

IMG_0984-M.jpg

IMG_0979-M.jpg

They did play games and had competitions while we were there. We did not participate, but my oldest daughter and her boyfriend did one or two of them (tug of war type, volleyball, balloon toss and so on).

This is about all I can think of at the moment. I hope you enjoy your day there. :)

Life vest new rule wasn't in effect on our last trip, but very enforced now. Also rocks were not a problem last time either.

Recently LOTS more rocks cuz of the work to accommodate the BA. They are doing a lot of work to hold the extra people causing the increased rocks. Hopefully at the end they will try to remove them.

Safe sailing

Life vest new rule wasn't in effect on our last trip, but very enforced now. Also rocks were not a problem last time either.

Recently LOTS more rocks cuz of the work to accommodate the BA. They are doing a lot of work to hold the extra people causing the increased rocks. Hopefully at the end they will try to remove them.

Safe sailing

Thanks for the update on the life jackets. Good to know in case we go back. Glad we have our own.

Ok, what's the "BA"?

Hi Mitsugirly,

Thanks for posting the amazing photos! Your daughter is adorable! I think the stuff by your pickle was cous cous ( Mediterranean bulgar wheat salad).

You're very welcome for the pictures.

Cous cous, hmmm, I do know that this is not what they had listed as the name (although I did google it and that looks like it's what it is). Mediterranean something or other might have been what NCL was calling it. That kinda sounds familiar, but I think it might have had a different ending. I know it didn't have the word "wheat" in it. But it was yummy! :D

Oh gotcha. Why is Breakaway going there when it's a Bermuda ship? Or will they be going there on their few trips in the winter from NY?

The Breakaway switches to its seven-day Bahamas itinerary in October; visiting Port Canaveral, Nassau, and Great Stirrup Cay. If you're on Facebook GSC has a FB page that they update quite often...great photos.

My niece and I had an awesome time at Great Stirrup Cay last December. I paid the $29 for the snorkel kit and thought it was worth every penny. I got a free t-shirt with it, too. There's a trail to follow with lots of "treasures" to find. Keeps it interesting. Yes, there was some exposed corral due to Hurricane Sandy, but the lifeguards were directing folks to the easiest places to get in the water.

Best value on the island: Sex on the Beach served in a giant GSC souvenir cup. It didn't cost that much and I definitely "felt it."

The outdoor buffet/grill is right next to the beach with the loungers, and it's amazing how grilled meat is the perfect compliment to sun, sand, and salt water. A reggae band played in the afternoon. GSC was the perfect beach day. I hope you have a great time. :)

The Breakaway switches to its seven-day Bahamas itinerary in October; visiting Port Canaveral, Nassau, and Great Stirrup Cay. If you're on Facebook GSC has a FB page that they update quite often...great photos.

Oh that's right. I have zero interest in sailing from the cold in the winter to just the Bahamas. I guess that's why I had forgotten about it (because it's nothing I would want to do). :( I wish they would just go south for the winter (to board) and do eastern itineraries. I can't fit the extended cruise into my work and school schedule any time soon, so I guess I'll have to wait.

Yea, I'm friends with the GSC fb page. I have posted there many times. :)

Archived