Major changes to RCCL Visa program

bobinfl

Trying to understand these new rules. I have a cruise on FOS in January. I currently have a $150 crown and anchor savings certificate and a $100 onboard credit from next cruise certificate applied to my cruise. Will I be able to use my 25,000 boa points for a $250 on board credit. Geesh I am so confused by these changes.

Trying to understand these new rules. I have a cruise on FOS in January. I currently have a $150 crown and anchor savings certificate and a $100 onboard credit from next cruise certificate applied to my cruise. Will I be able to use my 25,000 boa points for a $250 on board credit. Geesh I am so confused by these changes.

Yes, you should be able to use all 3 of those together. The Visa points restriction is when you are using the Visa points for dollars off the cruise, not for OBC. At least that's the way it is now. Another few months and they will probably restrict that.

Taken from this morning's email:

"6. Air transportation, shore excursion packages, pre/post hotel accommodations, government or quasigovernmental taxes, fees or surcharges and other items of a personal nature that are not normally included in the cruise vacation fare, including but not limited to, certain beverages, dining in onboard specialty restaurants, telephone calls, internet usage, photographs, gratuities and medical services, etc., are not included in any cruise vacation packages provided by Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises or Azamara and are not eligible for offset with the use of any Reward Redemption. "

Does this mean OBC Reward will not apply to Specialty Restaurant charges?

How quickly do they apply the redemption to your balance? I redeemed 125,000 points for the Allure next April (a week ago), but it has not been applied. I have a confirmation # but no email, so slightly concerned. When I called the redemption center to let them know I did not receive an email, they said they couldn't regenerate one (seems odd) but I shouldn't worry.

Moakes - when I redeemed my 125,000 points on Monday for Allure of the Seas, the agent told me that they had until 3 months out from your cruise to apply the redemption. Seemed kind of odd to me since the last time I did this, the points went pretty much immediately to the booking. So.....I guess I'll hang onto my redemption email/confirmation number and just wait until next year closer to sailing if it's not applied by then. My freebie is not until Oct. 14.

macy

Glad to hear you just got this morning. I just checked, and still nothing. No, my email hasn't changed and I still get OTHER emails from BoA at that email address. I'll wait and see...

The email about the new credit card was sent out by RCI Marketing Department, not BofA.

I received 2 emails this morning from RCI Marketing. One explaining the new Visa Signature and the other explaining that my Visa Platinum Plus can now be used on Celebrity and Azamara.

Edited by cruisenfever

I think redemption is probably kind of busy. :rolleyes: With program changes or poorly written possibilities of program changes....I'm sure they were probably overwhelmed with point redemption requests.

You can probably check your booking confirmation closer to sailing, to make sure the points were applied.

I noticed in the new e-mail that you must be within 6 months of sailing to redeem your points.

How quickly do they apply the redemption to your balance? I redeemed 125,000 points for the Allure next April (a week ago), but it has not been applied. I have a confirmation # but no email, so slightly concerned. When I called the redemption center to let them know I did not receive an email, they said they couldn't regenerate one (seems odd) but I shouldn't worry.

Thanks to all for posting the old program rules. I guess there's not much I can do with 1,700 points, other than charge some more to get $50 OBC.

Shortly after I redeemed my 125,000 points for the Allure, I got a generic e-mail which indicated my points were applied to my booking. I have yet to receive anything from Royal Caribbean or BofA. My C&A still shows an outstanding balance.

When they do post my redemption, what happens to my $500 deposit? Is it refunded to me or do I get OBC? The representative who helped me said my 125,000 point redemption was capped at the lowest priced OV (Category I) which is priced at $2298 double occupancy right now. My booking is for a Category X (guaranteed oceanview balcony). I have to pay $1 towards the cruise which will enable me to earn C&A credits.

With all the uncertainty going on with the redemption program, I decided to apply my 75,000 points (free companion fare) to my Allure April 2014 cruise. My reservation is through my TA so she set up a conference call with the Redemption Dept. this past Monday. My points were applied & I received an e-mail confirmation almost immediately.

I originally intended to wait until Jan., 2014 to cash in my points...but that was before the program changed.

Will have to start praying that all will go well between now & the last week of April, 2014. If I have to cancel, I will lose my points. So far, I have never had to cancel a cruise. Keeping fingers & toes crossed here!:rolleyes:

Thanks to all for posting the old program rules. I guess there's not much I can do with 1,700 points, other than charge some more to get $50 OBC.

Shortly after I redeemed my 125,000 points for the Allure, I got a generic e-mail which indicated my points were applied to my booking. I have yet to receive anything from Royal Caribbean or BofA. My C&A still shows an outstanding balance.

When they do post my redemption, what happens to my $500 deposit? Is it refunded to me or do I get OBC? The representative who helped me said my 125,000 point redemption was capped at the lowest priced OV (Category I) which is priced at $2298 double occupancy right now. My booking is for a Category X (guaranteed oceanview balcony). I have to pay $1 towards the cruise which will enable me to earn C&A credits.

You will get any overpayment credited back to your credit card. You still have to pay the taxes.

Edited by molly361

Just booked the Allure of the Seas today by redeeming 125,000 B of A points. Was told by the agent that August 30 was the date of the new rules. Thanks to this thread for alerting me to this change. Surely would have been upset if I had not been able to use them on the more expensive ship.

macy

I was just told by an agent at the redemption center that they do not have a definite date that the old rules will be discontinued, that prior to that date we will be grandfathered in under the old rules. I want to use my points on Oasis or Allure, but don't have a definite cruise date yet due to some health issues. Can anyone confirm that for me, or do I have to act by tomorrow? If I choose a date and we cannot go, we will lose our points.

I was just told by an agent at the redemption center that they do not have a definite date that the old rules will be discontinued, that prior to that date we will be grandfathered in under the old rules. I want to use my points on Oasis or Allure, but don't have a definite cruise date yet due to some health issues. Can anyone confirm that for me, or do I have to act by tomorrow? If I choose a date and we cannot go, we will lose our points.

If you apply points to a cruise, and you cancel the cruise, you will lose the points. However, if instead of cancelling you simply change the booking to a different cruise/date, the points will stay with the booking.

Edited by clarea

"6. Air transportation, shore excursion packages, pre/post hotel accommodations, government or quasigovernmental taxes, fees or surcharges and other items of a personal nature that are not normally included in the cruise vacation fare, including but not limited to, certain beverages, dining in onboard specialty restaurants, telephone calls, internet usage, photographs, gratuities and medical services, etc., are not included in any cruise vacation packages provided by Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises or Azamara and are not eligible for offset with the use of any Reward Redemption. "

I would like to see more on this also

I interpret this to mean that you can use your OBC for "certain beverages, dining in onboard specialty restaurants, telephone calls, internet usage, photographs, gratuities and medical services, etc." because they are not included in your cruise fare and are extra add on charges.

Edited by cruisenfever

If you apply points to a cruise, and you cancel the cruise, you will lose the points. However, if instead of cancelling you simply change the booking to a different cruise/date, the points will stay with the booking.

The agent said she couldn't guarantee this, it will be handled on a case to case basis. She said the rules prevent you from transferring to another cruise, however in some cases they have allowed people to do that. No guarantees.... If I knew for sure I could change the date, I would just choose one and hope for the best. I really don't know what to do.........

I interpret this to mean that you can use your OBC for "certain beverages, dining in onboard specialty restaurants, telephone calls, internet usage, photographs, gratuities and medical services, etc." because they are not included in your cruise fare and are extra add on charges.

This makes sense, otherwise the points for OBC would not be very useful.

The agent said she couldn't guarantee this, it will be handled on a case to case basis. She said the rules prevent you from transferring to another cruise, however in some cases they have allowed people to do that. No guarantees.... If I knew for sure I could change the date, I would just choose one and hope for the best. I really don't know what to do.........

That's strange unless they have changed the rules. Anytime you keep the same booking number but transfer to another ship/sailing date everything attached to that "booking number" is transferred.

Makes perfect sense. But, the word package which is used a couple times seems fuzzy to me. For example does it mean if you buy a soda pkg. After boarding can you use the obc or just for individual cokes, same for a SR pkg, and also if you buy a photo pkg after boarding. And also the internet pkg.

So my question is if you get the pkg for these after boarding can the obc be used or just if you buy them a la cart

I was told the same thing. I was also told that if you used your points and booked something using your balcony discount and then changed it to a different cruise you would be grandfathered in and could use your balcony discount again.

If that were true anyone wanting to book Oasis/Allure could just pick a date far in the future and change it when you know when you really want to go.

That said I still would not take that as the truth:)

Edited by molly361

Makes perfect sense. But, the word package which is used a couple times seems fuzzy to me. For example does it mean if you buy a soda pkg. After boarding can you use the obc or just for individual cokes, same for a SR pkg, and also if you buy a photo pkg after boarding. And also the internet pkg.

So my question is if you get the pkg for these after boarding can the obc be used or just if you buy them a la cart

Ordering any type of package before you board, be it any drink package, dining package, spa, photo package or The Barbie Experience, has to be paid for prior to boarding.

If you book these things (or any package not mentioned) once on board, then any OBC you have on your SeaPass account would be used for payment.

Edited by cruisenfever

I just redeemed 125,000 points for Allure today. The old program will expire on August 30, 2013. I'm so relieved I got in before the new program! Now I have 1,700 points left. What can I do with those remaining points? I tried to find the old program rules to no avail.

Last week we redeemed a free companion fare on the Allure for next May.....we did receive a balcony discount....do you think we will still get it since I requested the companion fare before August 30th? Also we have booked the Quantum for 2015....will we be able to use BOA points for OBC during the "inaugural" first year? These new rules stink! We have always tried to get the biggest bang for our points....seems there are a lot of other cards out there with better incentives.....I've had this card for years....I hate change! ugh!

Great, thanks, that's the way its always been

You're welcome.

It seems that RCI Marketing is really pushing for people to sign up for the new Visa Signature now. So, I've come to this conclusion. If the following benefits are important to anyone

• 10,000 Bonus Points after your first qualifying transaction* – redeemable for $100 onboard credit

• 2 for 1 airfare after making 3 or more transactions totalling at least $3,500 within 90 days of account opening (students not eligible)

• No Annual Fee

• Double points for purchases on Royal Caribbean, Azamara, and Celebrity Cruises

• Perks like Visa Signature lost luggage protection, Car Rental Insurance, Emergency cash and ticket replacement worldwide, and more

then apply for it now. You will be assigned a new cc number. Once you have activated your new Visa Signature card, you can then transfer your points from your current Visa Platinum Plus over to the Visa Signature.

If the above benefits aren't important to anyone at this time, then wait until January when your current Visa Platinum Plus will automatically be rolled over to the Visa Signature and the benefits will kick in after you've activated it.

Edit: for those that are going to stick with the Visa Platinum Plus Card, you will still be eligible for....

• Use your current card – no need to re-apply to enjoy MyCruise Rewards

• Double points for purchases on Royal Caribbean, Azamara, and Celebrity Cruises

• More rewards – choose cruises, discounts, upgrades, and onboard credit on three incredible cruise lines

Edited by cruisenfever

You're welcome.

It seems that RCI Marketing is really pushing for people to sign up for the new Visa Signature now. So, I've come to this conclusion. If the following benefits are important to anyone

• 10,000 Bonus Points after your first qualifying transaction* – redeemable for $100 onboard credit

• 2 for 1 airfare after making 3 or more transactions totalling at least $3,500 within 90 days of account opening (students not eligible)

• No Annual Fee

• Perks like Visa Signature lost luggage protection, Car Rental Insurance, Emergency cash and ticket replacement worldwide, and more

then apply for it now. You will be assigned a new cc number. Once you have activated your new Visa Signature card, you can then transfer your points from your current Visa Platinum Plus over to the Visa Signature.

If the above benefits aren't important to anyone at this time, then wait until January when your current Visa Platinum Plus will automatically be rolled over to the Visa Signature and the benefits will kick in after you've activated it.

Edit: for those that are going to stick with the Visa Platinum Plus Card, you will still be eligible for....

• Use your current card – no need to re-apply to enjoy MyCruise Rewards

• More rewards – choose cruises, discounts, upgrades, and onboard credit on three incredible cruise lines

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the info. Just catching up on this thread. So to clarify, I just received my Visa Platinum (it expired & now new expiry is 2016).

So should I call RC & ask for the new Signature card? Would it be beneficial for me to get this card now rather than wait till 2016?

Again, thanks,

Nancy Jo (NJ) :)

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the info. Just catching up on this thread. So to clarify, I just received my Visa Platinum (it expired & now new expiry is 2016).

So should I call RC & ask for the new Signature card? Would it be beneficial for me to get this card now rather than wait till 2016?

Again, thanks,

Nancy Jo (NJ) :)

Nancy Jo, since it appears that you have an established Visa Platinum Plus since you indicated it has recently been renewed, that card will automatically be rolled over to the new Visa Signature in January of 2014 and all your points will transfer and you will keep the same credit card number.

If the benefits of the new Visa Signature are important to you now, then you will have to apply, wait to get approved, get a new credit card number and then once you have activated your card, call BofA and have them transfer your points from your Platinum Plus to the new card.

Edited by cruisenfever