Which location in ft. Lauderdale.

Stellenbosch

We are in a dilemma as to which location we should be staying for 3 nights with a rental car before our cruise. We have been offered accommodation (timeshare) in the area between E Sunrise Boulevard a block or 2 away from the beach, however on doing research and reading this forum the area around E Las Olas Boulevard seems to come up a lot as well as SE 17th Street. I have also realised that SE 17 th street is best situated and closest to Port Everglades which is convenient, but as we would have a car which area should we be in (a) Between E. Sunrise and E Las Olas Boulevard or (b) SE 17th Street ? Any comments and advise would be most welcome, thanks.

We are in a dilemma as to which location we should be staying for 3 nights with a rental car before our cruise. We have been offered accommodation (timeshare) in the area between E Sunrise Boulevard a block or 2 away from the beach, however on doing research and reading this forum the area around E Las Olas Boulevard seems to come up a lot as well as SE 17th Street. I have also realised that SE 17 th street is best situated and closest to Port Everglades which is convenient, but as we would have a car which area should we be in (a) Between E. Sunrise and E Las Olas Boulevard or (b) SE 17th Street ? Any comments and advise would be most welcome, thanks.

Depending on what you want to do , I would also take a look at the Sawgrass Mills area . It is about 30 min from the beach area and probably about 20% cheaper.

I'm confused as to whether you have one option in a timeshare or two. Can you be more specific? What are the names of these properties?

We have 2 timeshare options and they are both in the E Sunrise Boulevard area. We want to be in Ft Lauderdale and in an area that is close to restaurants, shops, water taxi, people watch, beach and I do not know whether E Sunrise Boulevard is the place to be. Our experience with timeshare has not always been good.....never in the hub of things and so not sure whether we should take up our timeshare options or just rather book a hotel for the 3 days we will be there. What are these areas like: E Sunrise, E. Las Olas and S E 17th street? Thanks.

We have 2 timeshare options and they are both in the E Sunrise Boulevard area. We want to be in Ft Lauderdale and in an area that is close to restaurants, shops, water taxi, people watch, beach and I do not know whether E Sunrise Boulevard is the place to be. Our experience with timeshare has not always been good.....never in the hub of things and so not sure whether we should take up our timeshare options or just rather book a hotel for the 3 days we will be there. What are these areas like: E Sunrise, E. Las Olas and S E 17th street? Thanks.

Again I ask...Can you be more specific and give us the name of the timeshares or even a building address?

East Sunrise Boulevard (over 6 km from Interstate 95 to the beach) is a very vague term which could be a very bad area in the 'Hood or it could be a great location close to the Galleria Mall. It varies from block to block to block.

17th Street is fine for one night pre-cruise, but I wouldn't want to be there for three nights. It's away from the beach and it's not what I would call the hub of Ft Lauderdale.

Las Olas is Downtown Ft Lauderdale, a very trendy area with pricey shops and restaurants, but it's not that close to the beach.

Personally, with 3 days and a rental car I would rather be in Lauderdale By the Sea.

Depending on what you want to do , I would also take a look at the Sawgrass Mills area . It is about 30 min from the beach area and probably about 20% cheaper.

I agree on the do over. This makes no sense.

I would go with Las Olas but I'm a big fan of Las Olas and spend a lot of time there.

It depends on what you want to do.

Beach? Agree with LBTS.

With your criteria only, the E.Sunrise/Las Olas location.

I agree on the do over. This makes no sense.

I would go with Las Olas but I'm a big fan of Las Olas and spend a lot of time there.

It depends on what you want to do.

Beach? Agree with LBTS.

With your criteria only, the E.Sunrise/Las Olas location.

I'm trying to determine what locations they are being offered. "A couple of blocks from the beach" is sometime closer to a mile (1.6 km), but I'm hoping for their sake they're being offered the Gallery One. If that's the case they really don't need a rental car.

I'm trying to determine what locations they are being offered. "A couple of blocks from the beach" is sometime closer to a mile (1.6 km), but I'm hoping for their sake they're being offered the Gallery One. If that's the case they really don't need a rental car.

Thanks for all your response. The timeshare addresses are as follows:

Coconut Bay Resort @ 919 N Birch Rd Ft Laudedale

Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort @ 909 Breakers Avenue

The reviews on these 2 resorts are so confusing that we feel that if they are not situated in a good/desirable area, then we will rather scrap the idea of using our timeshare and rather book a hotel in an area which is more central and in the hub of things maybe Las Olas. We are hiring a car as we thought we would like to see a bit more than just Ft Lauderdale and maybe take in a bit more sightseeing.....

We are disembarking from the Queen Victoria after a a long cruise (44 days) and want to spend a few days in Ft Lauderdale before embarking on the Eclipse to do transatlantic to Southampton. We will hire a car at the port and it will make it easy for us to drop off again at Port Everglades.

Many thanks again for all your help and information.

Thanks for all your response. The timeshare addresses are as follows:

Coconut Bay Resort @ 919 N Birch Rd Ft Laudedale

Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort @ 909 Breakers Avenue

The reviews on these 2 resorts are so confusing that we feel that if they are not situated in a good/desirable area, then we will rather scrap the idea of using our timeshare and rather book a hotel in an area which is more central and in the hub of things maybe Las Olas. We are hiring a car as we thought we would like to see a bit more than just Ft Lauderdale and maybe take in a bit more sightseeing.....

We are disembarking from the Queen Victoria after a a long cruise (44 days) and want to spend a few days in Ft Lauderdale before embarking on the Eclipse to do transatlantic to Southampton. We will hire a car at the port and it will make it easy for us to drop off again at Port Everglades.

Many thanks again for all your help and information.

The location of those two properties (next door to each other) is pretty good. It's close to the beach and easy walking distance (less than 1 km) to the Galleria Mall.

http://www.galleriamall-fl.com/

There's a nice Publix Grocery store across Sunrise Blvd from the mall.

Breakers is slightly closer to the beach and Coconut Bay is slightly closer to the Galleria. I've only been inside Breakers and I would not call it a resort. It's just a big, tall apartment/condo building. It's clean, but it's aging and average at best. both properties have their own parking lots, so they don't charge for parking, which is a plus if you're going to rent a car.

Coconut Bay looks nicer to me even though I have not been inside. It's on a branch of the Intracoastal Waterway and has a marina.

Just across the bridge over the Intracoastal is the Gallery One Doubletree Hotel...

http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/galleryone-a-doubletree-suites-by-hilton-hotel-FLLTSDT/index.html

Right out their back door is a Water Taxi stop. If you decide to go the hotel route this is a hotel you should consider, but they charge $25 per night for valet only parking.

In the area between the B Ocean on A1A and Breakers there are several bars, restaurants, pizza and sandwich shop like Primanti Brothers (open 24 hours) on 9th Street and A1A.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/primanti-brothers-restaurant-fort-lauderdale

After those establishments it's a bit of a hike south on A1A (There's nothing but a state park to the north) before you get to any bars or restaurants that are interesting.

Both Breakers and Coconut Bay have a laundry facility , but also on 9th Street is a coin laundry and they also have a drop off laundry service if you don't want to waste good beach time doing laundry.

I would assume there will be a cleaning charge ($75 or so) if you stay in a timeshare, so when you add that in for only 3 days you might be better off staying in a hotel.

Hi Florissouri

Many thanks for all your information. It has been a great help to us to make our decision. It is nice to know that these timeshare resorts are in a good location. You have gone to a lot of trouble highlighting all the necessary places of interest and we really appreciate this. I think we will go with the breakers as we need to use up our timeshare points, as well as hire a car. I will double check regarding the cleaning charge as if this is so, you are quite right to then go the hotel route. So glad we are well situated to go to the Galleria Mall as well as the water taxi stop to tour the intra coastal waterway. We will one day drive up to Palm Beach and do a bit of sightseeing. A few years ago we were in Miami and did all that area as well as go down to Key West.

Many thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Hi Florissouri

Many thanks for all your information. It has been a great help to us to make our decision. It is nice to know that these timeshare resorts are in a good location. You have gone to a lot of trouble highlighting all the necessary places of interest and we really appreciate this. I think we will go with the breakers as we need to use up our timeshare points, as well as hire a car. I will double check regarding the cleaning charge as if this is so, you are quite right to then go the hotel route. So glad we are well situated to go to the Galleria Mall as well as the water taxi stop to tour the intra coastal waterway. We will one day drive up to Palm Beach and do a bit of sightseeing. A few years ago we were in Miami and did all that area as well as go down to Key West.

Many thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

You're welcome...It's not the usual questions over and over so I was happy to help.

Now...If you're going to be here before December 16 here's a buy one get one free deal on the Water Taxi, but you have to pay now and use it later...

http://www.travelzoo.com/local-deals/Miami/Other/65438

I would definitely pick Coconut Bay Resort. Actually they really are across the street from one another. CBR has a much nicer pool area, is right on the Intercoastal. I wll be there in October. If you want more info on both of these you can email me at bjsniche@comcast.net. I have stayed at both.

Archived