Doctor's Cave Beach

mexicobob

We were recently on The Carnival Conquest on a visit to Montego Bay. We had a very good time there with no problems or hassles. Enjoyed the day. I was apprehensive as some posts painted this to be a not pleasant experience.

We took a taxi-van with a very friendly and informative driver to Doctor's Cave Beach. Think it cost $5 per person and took about ten minutes. We paid to get in and for chairs and an umbrella. Very nice beach that was not crowded the day we were there, but we were the only ship in port. Nice water with better than expected snorkeling. There was also a large water trampoline way out in the water that was a good spot to rest before the swim back to shore.

There were many waiters on the beach to take orders for food or drink. Also a sit down restaurant that we chose to eat lunch at. Very good and I thought very reasonable prices.

We enjoyed our stay there and recommend the place. Looking back wish we had stayed there longer.

We left Doctor's Cave an hour or so after lunch and walked up to Margaritaville. We left after a drink and then went walking/ shopping on the Hipp Strip. Not a whole lot to see or buy so after purchasing a few souvenirs, including coffee, we headed back to Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. Nice view with excellent margarita's. Enjoyed the visit.

We took a taxi back to the port and was offered marijuana by the driver, as it seemed to be every body's part time job. They claimed it to be high grade. Did not try it though.

Red Stripe Bold is an excellent beer that I have never seen elsewhere. Worth going to Jamaica to taste.

We enjoyed our stay at Doctor's Cave beach and in Montego Bay. There were people around that may have been pushy trying to sell their wares but we have traveled extensively and completely ignore them. No worse than in Cozumel or other ports of call.

Curious, is ganja legal in Jamaica?

Sent from my XT897 using Forums mobile app

If you mean marijuana, no, it is not legal and they can put you in jail. And they do put people in jail, although hard to put half the island in jail. Not hard to put rich tourists in jail though.

We did enjoy the Dr. Beach as well, well maintained with an entrance gate, so we felt safe and taken care of. Margaritaville was a bit disappointing. We felt it was more of a tourist trap with exaggerated prices. Red Stripe? Yes, definitely the one Jamaican beer not to miss. The Hip Strip was nothing special, more a bit of the same Jamaican souvenirs you can find everywhere. By the way, our driver said that Marijuana is actually illegal, but not enforced on consumers....did not try it either ;):D

Where do you get the taxi's from. Is there people holding signs on where to go? Sounds like a nice area to go to. Thank you.

Walk through the reception center to the street and there will be a person or two who will assign you a cab depending on where you want to go.

When ready to return walk out to the street downtown in MB and look for a cab. Make sure you have small bills because the drivers will say they don't have change. They try to scam you for a larger tip.

Just wondering: the helpful taxi fare sign shows a $10 fare to the beach at Montego Bay, leading me to believe its fairly close by. How long does it take to get from the Falmouth port to Montego Bay?

Just noticed my question was basically answered in a another thread - 30 to 40 minutes.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone remember the name of the restaurant on Dr.'s Cave Beach?

I am specifically looking for a place called Lobster Shack or Dave's Lobster Shack or something like that.

Also, how much is the beach chair and umbrella rental there? Does the restaurant serve drinks out on the beach?