Amtrak

sandradoo

As a train fancier, I always have an AMTRAK timetable with me LOL.The Silver Meteor leaves Savannah at 6:50 AM and arrives in Miami in the evening at 6:55 PM.

You would have to take it a day in advance of your cruise, and overnight in a hotel.

I thought is that it has to be a lot easier, a lot faster, and less expensive to fly.

Then I checked flight prices!

Amtrak is $77.00 per person. The cheapest flight has TWO stops and is $543!!!

OK it is 12 hours on one train, but you can get up, walk around, have dinner,fix your own drinks, etc. Plus no lines, no TSA, no plane changes.

In Switzerland last year, we took a trip that was 12 hours and involved 5 train changes, and we loved it!

As a train fancier, I always have an AMTRAK timetable with me LOL.The Silver Meteor leaves Savannah at 6:50 AM and arrives in Miami in the evening at 6:55 PM.

You would have to take it a day in advance of your cruise, and overnight in a hotel.

I thought is that it has to be a lot easier, a lot faster, and less expensive to fly.

Then I checked flight prices!

Amtrak is $77.00 per person. The cheapest flight has TWO stops and is $543!!!

OK it is 12 hours on one train, but you can get up, walk around, have dinner,fix your own drinks, etc. Plus no lines, no TSA, no plane changes.

In Switzerland last year, we took a trip that was 12 hours and involved 5 train changes, and we loved it!

Do you mean you can bring your own booze etc,?

Do you mean you can bring your own booze etc,?

Absolutely!! I always take my own cooler on the train. I don't think you realize how huge the single area seating is. You can bring your own wine or booze or buy from the dining car.

Also, the overhead is to huge, you could easily fit a queen size bed.

Amtrak rules!! It is really the bomb. Highly recommend this!

We have taken the Amtrak train, post cruise, from Miami to Tampa, FL to visit relatives. As BlueHerons said, the seating is very comfy with way more legroom than any flight you'll likely ever be on. The seats also almost recline totally back. We loved doing this over taking the short flight from Miami to Tampa. If It was cheaper to take a train than fly from Indy, we'd do this all the time.

We rode Amtrak from Chicago to New York last Feb. It was an 18 hour ride each way. This coming Aprl we will be riding Amtrak to New Orleans for our cruise. The train can be atime consuming trip, but its better than all the hassle and high prices that go with flying. I like the railroad also.

We take the train to and from all our cruises that begin in Florida, We just know how long it takes and are prepared. We always arrive at least the night before the cruise. We have taken the train from DC to LA for a cruise and can not wait to go again.

Carol

Absolutely!! I always take my own cooler on the train. I don't think you realize how huge the single area seating is. You can bring your own wine or booze or buy from the dining car.

Also, the overhead is to huge, you could easily fit a queen size bed.

Amtrak rules!! It is really the bomb. Highly recommend this!

You can bring your own on board, but you're not supposed to consume alcohol at your seat:

http://www.amtrak.com/personal-food-beverages-medication

Archived