What can we do just walking off the ship in each port on the Canada / New Eng Cruise?

Olwyn

Hi All,

I will have a tour group with me and would like to let them know in advance what is directly around each port of call on the Caribbean Princess, Canada and New England Cruise.

What is within walking distance when you disembark off the ship?

Any suggestions would be great!

We go on October 5, 2013....soon!

Thanks so much!

Olwyn

toms ports guides,just google it.

Lots of info.

We re doing same next mo. and I also googled tourism in ea.port and got guides sent to me,or can download.

Ended up doing ship s tours in a few places,better deal for places I wanted.Also,HOHO buses in some.Even checked out library guide books for more info.Had more info and lots to read and research.:)

Thanks everyone.

The ports of call are;

New York, Boston, Bar Harbor, Maine, St. John's New Brunswick and Halifax, Nova Scotia.

I will take a look at those websites as well!:)

Olwyn

Thanks everyone.

The ports of call are;

New York, Boston, Bar Harbor, Maine, St. John's New Brunswick and Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Olwyn

Halifax there is lots to do right near the dock Maritime Museum, Pier 21, etc...

Look at the tourism websites

BTW it is Saint John N.B.

You can also look at "Tom's port guides" lots of thing of interest if you do not have the time to research

Bar Harbour..Ollies trolley is a good option

I agree with the above ideas for Bar Harbor etc these are great. In Saint John you can walk to the reversing falls from the ship. I would say maybe look at a tour to Peggy's Cove in Halifax, it can be pretty reasonable in a taxi van with a group of up to 6 people. For Boston there wasn't much close to the dock, we had to take the shuttle (or walk to transit) to get to downtown, but once there you have plenty of things to see in walking distance. We walked the freedom trail and had lunch at Quincy Market.

Are you just looking for walking options that are near the ship when you dock, or are you looking not to do a ship's excursion and try a a local tour once you get off?

In most of the ports it will be fairly easy to get a van or taxi to take you where ever you want to go and save a bundle off of any ship's excursion.

As was said, in Bar Harbor, Ollie's Trolleys are wonderful way to see this city.

If you are just looking to wander around on your own, Bar Harbor is a small town and very easy to walk around in it. There are many wonderful shops, along with a sea side walk. Easy to spend a day just roaming around. If you get there at low tide, you can walk on the ocean floor to Bar Island and see some amazing things that are covered by water when the tide comes back in.

In Halifax, it is also very easy to spend the day just wandering about along the boardwalks that are around the harbor. You won't see much of what this city and surrounding area, has to offer, but it will be an enjoyable day.

Saint Johns, I can't say, we booked a van tour and were out of the city in no time flat.

Cheers

Len

In Boston, take the Silverline to the South Station on the Redline and go to Park Street. There you can start following the Freedom Trail (about 2.5 mile walk); or walk or transfer to the Green line-in one direction towards Copley and shop around the Newbury Street/Boylston Street area. The opposite direction on the Greenline towards to government Center. There you walk by the ugly city hall to the Famous Fanuel Hall. There is also the Aquarium closeby and North End (our version of Little Italy). By the Aquarium you could probably walk back via the water to the boat (but very long). You can also get on of the Hop On/Hop Off trolleys or even book a duck tour!

Thanks everyone.

The ports of call are;

Olwyn

For Saint John, NB you can check my other thread for a list of suggested places you can visit. Some are walking distance from the port, others you could take a cab which should be less than $10 each way.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1653563

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...
Hi All,

I will have a tour group with me and would like to let them know in advance what is directly around each port of call on the Caribbean Princess, Canada and New England Cruise.

What is within walking distance when you disembark off the ship?

Any suggestions would be great!

We go on October 5, 2013....soon!

Thanks so much!

Olwyn

There is a free bus into Acadia National Park that leaves from the village square in Bar Harbor. This works like a hop-on/ hop-off concept. There are several interchangeable route that run on schedules. The Village Sq. is straight up the street once you exit the tender pier. Along the street to the Village square you will pass a Tourist Office on the right side...good for city info. Along side the Village Sq. there is a Nat. Park Service office...info on bus schedules and route maps (also available on line). You will need to pay park admission before boarding the free bus....TIP: If anyone has a US National Parks Pass, tell them to bring it....park admission will be free. They also sell a variety of Nat. Park passes there. If anyone is a senior, the senior pass is good for your lifetime and entitles you to bring up to three guests with you.

There is a "bus" tour that is a National Park Service concession and can be reserved in advance through Acadia Nat. Park web site (reservation is a must if you expect to get on the tour)....excellent tour and bus is more comfortable than trolley....pay for and pick up tickets at Tessa's, on right side walking up the hill from tender pier. The tour is basically the same as the free bus, but includes narration by a guide and goes to the top of Cadillac Mountain for the view.

Archived