Not impressed with Ocean Blue Menu

BrPanthers99

So do I understand this correctly? This particular specialty restaurant only allows you to order one entree? You can't try an additional? I know on previous sailings with different cruise lines, their specialty dining venues allowed you to try several appetizers, entrees and even desserts if you wanted to. Just curious....

;)

So do I understand this correctly? This particular specialty restaurant only allows you to order one entree? You can't try an additional? I know on previous sailings with different cruise lines' date=' their specialty dining venues allowed you to try several appetizers, entrees and even desserts if you wanted to. Just curious....

;)[/quote']

It is my understanding that this particular chef set the rules. I have been to his land-based restaurant. It's nothing to write home about ....

Does ncl run the resturant or is it by someone else?

That is a good question...

I believe that all restaurants on all ship's, are ran and staffed by the cruiselines own employees. Even on 'famous name restaurants', such as 'Todd English' on Cunard, 'Johnnie Rocket's' on RCI, and Geoffrey Zakarian's 'Ocean Blue' on NCL....the cruise line pays a licensing fee to use the name and design and signature menu's etc. The chain probably has varying input on the menu and operation...it seems that Zakarian has a more direct input perhaps than the others mentioned, but sometimes that will change over time. Cunard now seems to be replacing Todd English on the Queen Victoria with their own in house Verandah Grill.

I don't believe any cruise ship restaurants are actually operated by anyone other than the ship's own employees.....

So do I understand this correctly? This particular specialty restaurant only allows you to order one entree? You can't try an additional? I know on previous sailings with different cruise lines' date=' their specialty dining venues allowed you to try several appetizers, entrees and even desserts if you wanted to. Just curious....

;)[/quote']

I don't think you can get any extra entrees at the NCL specialty restaurants, just appetizers and desserts. We have eaten at several, and portions are pretty large.

We ate there on the innaugural cruise. The food was excellent (especially the soup) and the chef explained how she had to audition to get the job. I will mention that the cost of the restaurant went up after our cruise so we did enjoy it at a lower cost than it is today.

We are sailing on the Breakaway again in April and do not plan on going back to Ocean Blu unless one of the friends sailing with us is interested. We enjoy the MDR and other restaurants as well.

It is certainly worth trying if you want a new experience on NCL.

I just got off the Breakaway last week, and while I did not eat at Ocean Blue, the menu was not impressive to say the least. I do not see it being worth $49.

You can get Scallops or Fish, thats it.

No lobster, shrimp, clams, mussels.....

Really limited menu, you better like fish and not just "seafood" before you book to go there.

The Ocean Blue Menu has Mussels (2nd) and Prawns (3rd) in the First Course (which I assume means Appetizers), but none of those in the Main Course (which I assume means Entrees). Here is the actual Ocean Blue Menu from micm_ Flickr:

Flickr micm_ NCL Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Ocean Blue Menu *4/2013

:):):):)

Edited by cruiseclues

Just got off the Breakaway Jan 17th. We got the dining package and we think it was worth it. I asked for a second main course in Cagneys and they told me it was extra 10.00. But when we got the dining package they told me we could eat at any of them as many times we wanted, even the same night. So why the 10.00?

Service was the best at Cagneys, the others not so good.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who has eaten at Ocean Blue and has left severely disappointed. I am no stranger to fine dining, and I entered the small nook off Ocean Place with reduced expectations. I understood that we provision in New York for the entire week, and that I should not have expected the same sort of freshness in high end restaurants ashore. Nonetheless, I have had good meals on the variety of NCL ships I have sailed on and expected something of at least equal, or even better, quality than other, cheaper specialty restaurants.

The bread they brought to the table was probably the best thing I ate that entire evening. It was soft, warm, and tasted fine. Unlike other posters here, the servers complied with my request for another loaf. The Calamari was served hot, but the squid inside had been terribly overcooked. It was like eating a warm, soggy tire. The Curry Bisque seemed to be the only dish served with at least some attention to presentation, but it was merely good, not great.

I thought I could not go wrong with the Dover Sole, seeing that it was prepared with the classic, if uncreative and cliché, combination of meuniére sauce and capers. For the $50 price, I even hoped that perhaps they'd filet the fish at my table as is traditional. Of course, I ended up feeling foolish for expecting such service. Although it was cooked acceptably well, the fish was served absolutely drenched. Dover is a fish with a delicate, mild taste. A little goes a long way. I've had it prepared in this way many times before at other restaurants, and it has always been lightly coated. Here, I was presented with a Dover Sole swimming in a creamy, white, buttery mess, covered with an unreasonable quantity of capers. The balance between the meuniére and capers with the Dover Sole's natural sweetness was completely destroyed, and I was extremely unhappy.

The Dark Chocolate Soufflé was forgettable. It was of the same caliber of food that I had come to expect from the ship's complimentary main dining room. The one positive thing I can say about Ocean Blue is that the service there is very good, while still not as elaborate as what I expect shoreside. Obviously a considerably smaller room with few tables helps to ensure glasses remain full. Unfortunately, that does not make the incredibly poor food any more palatable. Perhaps one day I will be able to give Ocean Blue another chance, but I think I will spring for Chef's Table on my upcoming Getaway cruise instead.

• 1 month later...
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who has eaten at Ocean Blue and has left severely disappointed.

You aren't alone. I suspect people who sail on NCL have much lower expectations and would see this as upscale dining, while those that know better would leave disappointed.

Of all the place on the boat, they limited you to what you could order and the menu was really not that great. Nothing about this said it was done by a major chef. If I were Zakarian I would't be putting my name on it. Then again maybe its a hint of an overrated chef? Tough to say when you start talking about Food network or Bravo TV stars... often I think they got famous by cooking well, then their fame ruins them.

Our last NCL voyage. Even the chef's table, which we had to fight to get into, was sub-par.

Fortunately there were water slides to help us forget about the nickel and dining, especially at places like Ocean Blue.

Skip it and spend your money elsewhere... hit a place like Scarpetta in Miami the night before instead. Their tasting menu was worth the $.

Edited by gopherhockey

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who has eaten at Ocean Blue and has left severely disappointed. I am no stranger to fine dining, and I entered the small nook off Ocean Place with reduced expectations. I understood that we provision in New York for the entire week, and that I should not have expected the same sort of freshness in high end restaurants ashore. Nonetheless, I have had good meals on the variety of NCL ships I have sailed on and expected something of at least equal, or even better, quality than other, cheaper specialty restaurants.

The bread they brought to the table was probably the best thing I ate that entire evening. It was soft, warm, and tasted fine. Unlike other posters here, the servers complied with my request for another loaf. The Calamari was served hot, but the squid inside had been terribly overcooked. It was like eating a warm, soggy tire. The Curry Bisque seemed to be the only dish served with at least some attention to presentation, but it was merely good, not great.

I thought I could not go wrong with the Dover Sole, seeing that it was prepared with the classic, if uncreative and cliché, combination of meuniére sauce and capers. For the $50 price, I even hoped that perhaps they'd filet the fish at my table as is traditional. Of course, I ended up feeling foolish for expecting such service. Although it was cooked acceptably well, the fish was served absolutely drenched. Dover is a fish with a delicate, mild taste. A little goes a long way. I've had it prepared in this way many times before at other restaurants, and it has always been lightly coated. Here, I was presented with a Dover Sole swimming in a creamy, white, buttery mess, covered with an unreasonable quantity of capers. The balance between the meuniére and capers with the Dover Sole's natural sweetness was completely destroyed, and I was extremely unhappy.

The Dark Chocolate Soufflé was forgettable. It was of the same caliber of food that I had come to expect from the ship's complimentary main dining room. The one positive thing I can say about Ocean Blue is that the service there is very good, while still not as elaborate as what I expect shoreside. Obviously a considerably smaller room with few tables helps to ensure glasses remain full. Unfortunately, that does not make the incredibly poor food any more palatable. Perhaps one day I will be able to give Ocean Blue another chance, but I think I will spring for Chef's Table on my upcoming Getaway cruise instead.

Very well written Barnacle Boy, and I agree that the dinner we had there was awful. I was pretty upset having paid the $50pp for the three of us.

I wasn't all that thrilled with the last Chef's Table...except the veal chop was excellent. Everything else was meh, and the wines were pretty bad. So, not planning to go there on the next sailing. I still think that Le Bistro is the best out of them all, except for that first Breakaway sailing we took. Being Platinum and getting it free isn't bad either. Also thinking about trying the take out version of Ocean Blue. Heard that the lobster roll and sushi were pretty good. On the other hand, on our the last cruise, others were raving about the sushi on that ship and I thought it was mediocre. And forget about Teppanyaki. NCL needs to hire a food consultant that knows Japanese food. However, so many passengers seem to really love what NCL tries to pass off as Japanese cuisine, so don't think it's ever going to change. At least, the rice wasn't Jasmine rice anymore and closer to the real thing the last time we ate there--and I liked how Green Tea ice cream was now an offering. Been disappointed too many times with certain NCL's specialty restaurants, especially when I can get better meals in the MDRs and Haven. Quality control also seems to be an issue since it's been inconsistent sometimes in the same type of specialty restaurant and sometimes the same ship. Hope they have it together by the time we board the Getaway. But my family shouldn't expect to go to too many of them for our next sailing. Been disappointed too many times with certain NCL's specialty restaurants, and I can get better meals in the MDRs and Haven.

Edited by kiyoko

• 3 weeks later...
Very well written Barnacle Boy, and I agree that the dinner we had there was awful. I was pretty upset having paid the $50pp for the three of us.

I wasn't all that thrilled with the last Chef's Table...except the veal chop was excellent. Everything else was meh, and the wines were pretty bad. So, not planning to go there on the next sailing. I still think that Le Bistro is the best out of them all, except for that first Breakaway sailing we took. Being Platinum and getting it free isn't bad either. Also thinking about trying the take out version of Ocean Blue. Heard that the lobster roll and sushi were pretty good. On the other hand, on our the last cruise, others were raving about the sushi on that ship and I thought it was mediocre. And forget about Teppanyaki. NCL needs to hire a food consultant that knows Japanese food. However, so many passengers seem to really love what NCL tries to pass off as Japanese cuisine, so don't think it's ever going to change. At least, the rice wasn't Jasmine rice anymore and closer to the real thing the last time we ate there--and I liked how Green Tea ice cream was now an offering. Been disappointed too many times with certain NCL's specialty restaurants, especially when I can get better meals in the MDRs and Haven. Quality control also seems to be an issue since it's been inconsistent sometimes in the same type of specialty restaurant and sometimes the same ship. Hope they have it together by the time we board the Getaway. But my family shouldn't expect to go to too many of them for our next sailing. Been disappointed too many times with certain NCL's specialty restaurants, and I can get better meals in the MDRs and Haven.

Just got off the Getaway and ended up going to Ocean Blue to give it another try and the dover sole was excellent this time around. Asked for the sauce to be served on the side. Maybe that was the answer. Anyway, would not hesitate to recommend the dover sole. Also ended up at Le Bistro (great as usual), Moderno (great), Lobster roll at Ocean Blue take out (great). I ended up running out of days to try all the restaurants and think I need two weeks to try them all. The ship as a whole was the best we ever sailed. Can't wait to get back in May.

I just read the menu and yelp reviews for his NY restaurant The Lambs Club.

He charges $59 for Dover Sole and $62 for Delmonico Steak. Sides are $9 extra. Starters and appetizers vary. Pretty good reviews, (3 1/2 stars out of 5), but most everyone thinks it's overpriced.

Does anyone know which cut of steak is used for the Delmonico? I few have mentioned filet but it is typically ribeye.

The Delmonico was great. Ribeye

I enjoyed my meal there very much and loved the Mussels - so much so that I asked for more bread to dip in the sauce! I'd go back again and plan on doing so on my upcoming Getaway cruise!

I don't know what menu you were looking at, however, I have a copy of mine from my June sailing and if I knew how to upload photos here I would, however, here is the menu:

FIRST COURSE:

Crispy Calamari/Hot Peppers/Fresno Chili Aioli

Mussels Tom Ka Gai/Chicken Confit/Romesco Sauce/Red Chili Baguette

Grilled Prawn Panzanella/Heirloom Tomatoes/Taggiasca Olive Vinaigrette

Beef Tartare/Mustard Dressing/Celery Salad/Chips

Fried Chickpea Salad/Iceberg Lettuce/Castelvetrano Olives/Cucumber

Baby Head Lettuce Salad/Apples/Endives/Tarragon Vinaigrette

Beet Salad/Smoked Trout RoE/Rock Shrimp/Blis Maple Yogurt

Carrot & Madras Curry Bisque/Gingerbread/Raisons/Coriander

MAIN COURSE:

Lightly Roasted Sea Scallops/Guanciale/Grapefruit/Caramelized Pork Belly

Wild Salmon/Buttermilk/Horseradish/Leeks/Crispy Potatoes

Risotto of Jonah Crab/Hon Shimeji Mushroom/Parm Cheese/Olive Oil

Black Sea Bass/Plancha Roasted Squash/Basil Seed Vinaigrette

Monkfish Loin/Forbidden Rice/Cauliflower/Pine Nut Yogurt

Roasted Peeking Duck/Crushed Sicilian Pistachios/Caramelized Endive

Dover Sole/Whole Roasted/Sauce Meuniere

Grilled Delmonico/Grade Prime/Roasted Shallots/Watercress

DESSERTS:

Bergamont Tea Panna Cotta

Dark Chocolate Soufflé

Apple Strudel with Cardamom

Lemon Meringue Tart

Artisanal Cheeses

Housemade Sorbet

Harriet

I have to agree with the OP. There is hardly anything on this menu worth eating and certainly NOTHING worth $49 (especially based on portion sizes mentioned in this thread)! :(

Edited by Out to sea!

I am contemplating the UDP but I do not plan on going to Ocean Blue. I think it's insulting to offer an "ULTIMATE" dining plan and not including all of the specialty restaurants within it. There is nothing on that menu listed above that would be worth an additional $50pp. Just my opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums