Have you ever had to use the Princess Protection Ins?

P.A.

I travel with my mom who is very healthy at 88 but you never know. We always purchase insurance and was thinking of adding Medjet assist or ? In case she fell ill and needed to be transported home. Problem is finding a company to insure an 88 year old. I see Princess Platinum has some coverage for transport, 50,000 I think, but I suspect that would not be enough. Has anyone with Princess Ins. h@ad to be transported home? Any suggestions?

The $50,000 for emergency evacuation under the Platinum Insurance is not to transport you to your home for treatment, it's to evacuate you off the ship in case of a medical emergency while at sea. If you are close to a port they will get you to the nearest hospital and eventually home after treatment. You would need a membership in a company like MedJet Assist to get home for treatment.

Princess Insurance will cover your expenses, with limitations, up to the amount of the cruise. In our case we were taken off the ship four days into a cruise. The insurance reimbursed us for the unused portion of the cruise which only left four days worth of cruise fare to cover all of my expenses while my DH was in the hospital for 10 days. His airfare was covered but mine wasn't. Since this happened in Europe and the flight was booked at the last minute the airfare was expensive. All in all the uncovered expenses were close to $4,000. My medical insurance covered all of the medical expense except a small deductable. I continue to buy Princess Insurance on the more expensive cruises because I find it to be the most cost effective of all the plans I've looked at. If I could just buy trip cancellation and interruption insurance I would.

Edited by cactusrose

If they don't have the info from 2 of the 4 sources it sounds like a little "gentle" persuasion from you might be in order for those 2 sources. In any event, good luck getting this resolved.

Thanks for the good wishes. I made new calls to both sources last week and was told they will process the requests when they can.

• 4 weeks later...
We received a check for our claim this past Saturday. We are so happy this 3 month process is behind us. Hopefully we will not have to file any future claims, but of course we will continue to insure our trips.

Glad to hear you finally got reimbursed. Sorry you had to jump through so many hoops at a difficult time. Hope you can sail again soon!