what to do in Athens/Piraeus other than ruins...

fmar

Hi,

Just wondering if there are any suggestions on things to do in Athens/Piraeus other than visiting the historical ruins? Nothing against ruins, just looking for other options.

Thanks.

Hi,

Just wondering if there are any suggestions on things to do in Athens/Piraeus other than visiting the historical ruins? Nothing against ruins, just looking for other options.

Thanks.

Not knowing you I would suggest that you Google Athens and click on What is going on and things to do. You can then weed out the main sites and go from there.The Plaka is a lively area to chack out with decent shops and restos.I am not sure what one can do at the prt area.There is info on this board as well is you want to read through some pages.

We're just back & did the 'ruins' last year so this time took a trip to the Corinth Canal - it was really interesting & we had a lovely boat trip both ways up & down it :)

We did a tour with Corinth and also the canal cruise a few years ago. I loved it. The canal scenery was gorgeous. It was a very laid back day compared to Athens.

Thanks so much for all the replies.

Good tip to check out the ship tours for ideas. I'll do that.

Several of you mentioned the Corinthian Canal tour...was that tour arranged by your cruise ship or did you set that up on your own.

We are scheduled to be in port for 12 hours but would like to spend 5 or 6 hours ashore. Would that be enough for any island tours? Can you book those at the port?

Thanks so much for all the replies.

Good tip to check out the ship tours for ideas. I'll do that.

Several of you mentioned the Corinthian Canal tour...was that tour arranged by your cruise ship or did you set that up on your own.

We are scheduled to be in port for 12 hours but would like to spend 5 or 6 hours ashore. Would that be enough for any island tours? Can you book those at the port?

We did the Corinth Canal trip with our cruise tour :)

One option would be to grab a hydrofoil to Hydra. It's a short hop from Piraeus to a lovely small island.

Well, in the interest of full disclosure that "short hop" would be about 1 1/2 hours each way. Aegina is another island that is somewhat closer (this island is known for their wonderful pistachios)

Hank

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting this thread, as we are visiting Athens Easter weekend, pre-cruise. There will be many attractions with very limited opening hours, so we are also looking for other things to do. Staying on Syntagma Square, so have easy access to the Plaka.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Forums mobile app