Our Splendid Splendor cruise (with pics) 8/13/13

Jamman54

Is the Splendour only gonna go to Canada New England out of NYC?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, in 2014 and 2015 the Splendor will be doing 6 different itineraries.

8 day - Pt. Canaveral, Nassau, Freeport

8 day - Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau

8 Day - San Juan, St. Thomas, Grand Turk

4 Day Canada - Saint John

5 Day Canada - Saint John, Halifax

7 Day Canada / New England - Boston, Portland, Saint John, Halifax

Edited by Jamman54

You pay your bill at Margaritaville with cash or credit card. They hold on to your Sail & Sign card to ensure that you don't skip out on the bill.

Oh ok thank you!!.....is HMC the same way? OR can any drink purchases go on your Sail & Sign card because its their private island? Thank you so much for responding. I guess I'm just overly excited:D

Oh ok thank you!!.....is HMC the same way? OR can any drink purchases go on your Sail & Sign card because its their private island? Thank you so much for responding. I guess I'm just overly excited:D

On HMC, ALL of your drink purchases will go on your Sail & Sign card.

• 2 weeks later...
Just discovered your review! Lovely pics! I'm not going on the Splendor until November, but definitely got me in the cruising frame of mind again!

Thanks for reading. You will have a GREAT time on the Splendor!!

Welcome back Jenny!! Can't wait to hear what you thought of the Splendor and your cabanas!!

Thank you! Oh my, the cabanas are a little slice of heaven! We loved them. Perfect weather but it was nice to have the shade too. We ended up with cabana 10 in Margaritaville, right in between the beach & pool. On HMC we got cabana 14, which we loved because it was nice & quiet at that end of the beach. The yummy treats were a bonus too. I would definitely rent the cabanas again. And thanks to you we knew to pick which one we wanted at HMC as soon as we got onboard. We also followed your advice to hang out by the bar and take the last tender over to the ship. Worked out great!

I liked the Splendor and overall she's a great ship. The crew was friendly and you always saw someone cleaning something. They kept her spotless. Aft wrap balcony was amazing - loved all that space and the layout of the room. Pinnacle Steakhouse was delicious. Wok was yummy too! Only gripes were smoking in Red's and the sports bar. I'm a big NY Rangers fan and considering she's a NY ship & it's playoff season I couldn't believe they didn't receive the channels for the games. We were in there watching the sports ticker on ESPN lol. And the one day the game was on NBC we asked for it to be put on one more tv (for some reason it was on one side of the bar only) and they refused! No biggie, not going to wreck my cruise! We still had an awesome time!

Thanks again!

Edited by jenny105

No, in 2014 and 2015 the Splendor will be doing 6 different itineraries.

8 day - Pt. Canaveral, Nassau, Freeport

8 day - Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau

8 Day - San Juan, St. Thomas, Grand Turk

4 Day Canada - Saint John

5 Day Canada - Saint John, Halifax

7 Day Canada / New England - Boston, Portland, Saint John, Halifax

Add 7 Day - Miami, Nassau, San Juan, St. Thomas, Grand Turk to the list in 2015

Add 7 Day - Miami, Nassau, San Juan, St. Thomas, Grand Turk to the list in 2015

You are right. I should have clarified that the above itineraries were sailings from NYC in 2014 & 2015.

Thank you! Oh my, the cabanas are a little slice of heaven! We loved them. Perfect weather but it was nice to have the shade too. We ended up with cabana 10 in Margaritaville, right in between the beach & pool. On HMC we got cabana 14, which we loved because it was nice & quiet at that end of the beach. The yummy treats were a bonus too. I would definitely rent the cabanas again. And thanks to you we knew to pick which one we wanted at HMC as soon as we got onboard. We also followed your advice to hang out by the bar and take the last tender over to the ship. Worked out great!

I liked the Splendor and overall she's a great ship. The crew was friendly and you always saw someone cleaning something. They kept her spotless. Aft wrap balcony was amazing - loved all that space and the layout of the room. Pinnacle Steakhouse was delicious. Wok was yummy too! Only gripes were smoking in Red's and the sports bar. I'm a big NY Rangers fan and considering she's a NY ship & it's playoff season I couldn't believe they didn't receive the channels for the games. We were in there watching the sports ticker on ESPN lol. And the one day the game was on NBC we asked for it to be put on one more tv (for some reason it was on one side of the bar only) and they refused! No biggie, not going to wreck my cruise! We still had an awesome time!

Thanks again!

Glad you enjoyed the Splendor and your cabanas. They are so worth it!! Wasn't it fun "waiting" for the tender at HMC? :D

Edited by Jamman54

i just wanted to stop by and tell you how much I enjoyed your review before i left and read it again this evening.

jenny105 and i were on the same sailing! I did exactly as you said when I first got on the ship... I walked on and went straight to the excursion desk for myself and my mom to book the Behind the Fun tour (which jenny105 was with us too!) which was on my checklist of things I "had" to do. While we were standing there I decided to ask if there were any more cabanas available(since I had been stalking carnival website for the past 5 months while planning everything).. worst case scenario she would tell me they were sold out.. she told me that their system was down, leaned over and asked the other guy working if there were any left (he was helping someone to assign their cabana)... she pulls up the map, showed us which ones were available still and we got to pick... I COULDNT BELIEVE IT... we actually got a cabana!!! oh, we chose #10.. away from the chaos and a bathroom close by... sure enough, our cabana ticket showed up to our room later that evening... my husband is now sold on HMC and we MUST get a cabana every time we go there.. (good hubs.. thinking ahead for future cruises!).... also waiting as long as possible to head back to tender.. I told my husband and other people from our roll call that hung out at our cabana.. Jamman says "wait at the rumrunner bar".... so we started hoofin it back to entrance around 4... I kept tellin my husband (who likes structure, doesnt like to be late.. military style)... it will be ok, they are not going to leave anyone here.. we are the only ship in port and they wont leave the crew either.. lol...

I have also decided to do a review... I know I am not match for seasoned cruisers and review writers on here but I am taking a stab at it anyways..

Oh and we had a fruit tray, veggie tray along with the chips and dip...hard to see the fruit, but its in the back row, then veggie tray...

DSCN2773_zpscd3a466c.jpg

Jamman, one of the lst things I saw when I got off the ship in HMC was that bar that you had your picture taken at waiting for the last tender, and I had to smile! We spent all our time on the beach but I walked around M'Ville to see the party crowd (sure was hopping!!!) and around by the cabanas too. Such a gorgeous little piece of paradise. Can't believe I was there one week ago today. :(:( We were talking to our DS'es and DDIL'es who have also cruised to Labadee (we went there twice) and Coco Cay and everyone thought they would love to have some ships go to JUST the private islands! I have a special place in my heart for Nassau, but noone else can be bothered with it and Port Canaveral is right above a visit to the dentist! :eek: Jenny and cruisinbabs, we really lucked out with the weather. It was so absolutely perfect except for Nassau.

Thank you so much for your review, I've made several notes from it. My soon to be husband and I will be on Splendor in an aft wrap for our honeymoon in June, and I can't wait!!!!

Can you tell me more about how the slot tourneys work, this is the first I am hearing about them!!

Also, is the steakhouse really worth the extra money? If so, do you suggest a port or sea day?

Thank You!!

Thank you so much for your review' date=' I've made several notes from it. My soon to be husband and I will be on Splendor in an aft wrap for our honeymoon in June, and I can't wait!!!!

Can you tell me more about how the slot tourneys work, this is the first I am hearing about them!!

Also, is the steakhouse really worth the extra money? If so, do you suggest a port or sea day?

Thank You!![/quote']

You will love that Aft Wrap!!!

The slot tournament is a lot of fun. They will do it twice during your cruise. They will have 10 machines in a row or bank set up for tournament play. The entry fee is $25 to enter the preliminary rounds, which run continuously for about two hours before the final round. You may enter as many times as you want. It works like this. When the host says go, you will spin as many times as you can in a five minute period. Most people just keep tapping the spin button for the entire time. Of course, the object is to get the highest dollar amount. The top 9 highest dollar amounts after the preliminary rounds are completed will compete in the final round. The 10th spot is usually given to the winner of the raffle. All who enter are given a raffle ticket for this last chance drawing. The Final begins with the highest qualifier getting the first choice of machine, then the second highest qualifier picking theirs, and so on. The Final Round is played the same way, five minutes, highest dollar total, taking the top prize, which is usually $500 in cash or chips, and a ship on a stick. All finalists get a tee-shirt and other trinkets, 2nd & 3rd place might get a little something extra.

We think the Steakhouse is worth it. We will go at least once a cruise if the ship has one. Port or Sea day doesn't make a difference to us, since in reality, you are at sea each evening of the cruise. We avoid going the first Elegant Night, which is your 2nd night of the cruise, because this is the night that the lobster is served in the MDR. If you choose to go to the Steakhouse the very first night, you will be given a free bottle of wine to go with your dinner.

Have a GREAT cruise!!!

Hi Jamman54 being that you have been on so many cruises. I would like to ask you a question,or if anyone else knows I would like all input. As you all know SPLENDOR not leaving from NY next year till end of May. All my cruises are out of NY I don't fly,but next year I am willing to drive n take my cruise out of Florida. Now I have narrowed it to two cruise the Conquest or Breeze which port would be easier for me I am partially handicapped walking very difficult. It would be Miami or Fort Lauderdale anyone please advice me. Also would FIT be useful at these ports. Thanks...

Hi Jamman54 being that you have been on so many cruises. I would like to ask you a question,or if anyone else knows I would like all input. As you all know SPLENDOR not leaving from NY next year till end of May. All my cruises are out of NY I don't fly,but next year I am willing to drive n take my cruise out of Florida. Now I have narrowed it to two cruise the Conquest or Breeze which port would be easier for me I am partially handicapped walking very difficult. It would be Miami or Fort Lauderdale anyone please advice me. Also would FIT be useful at these ports. Thanks...

Wish I could give you some input, but I can't. Believe it or not, we have never sailed from Ft. Lauderdale, and it's been nearly 8 years since we sailed from Miami. We are booked on the Breeze August of next year. You might try starting a post on the board, where you are sure to get the info you are looking for.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for all of your great reviews! Really enjoy hearing about your time on board and in port and of course enjoying all the great pictures.

Have you found the water to be particularly rough on cruises out of NYC? A friend who went on a NYC cruise said it was particularly bad but I can't say your cruise on Splendor seemed bad at all. Living in Long Island it would be so easy to cruise out of NYC but my friend's experience has me hesitant. I'm sure seas vary day to day (just like turbulence on a plane) so there probably is no way to ever predict, but am curious how you've found your sailings out of NYC. Thanks!

Thanks for all of your great reviews! Really enjoy hearing about your time on board and in port and of course enjoying all the great pictures.

Have you found the water to be particularly rough on cruises out of NYC? A friend who went on a NYC cruise said it was particularly bad but I can't say your cruise on Splendor seemed bad at all. Living in Long Island it would be so easy to cruise out of NYC but my friend's experience has me hesitant. I'm sure seas vary day to day (just like turbulence on a plane) so there probably is no way to ever predict, but am curious how you've found your sailings out of NYC. Thanks!

We have cruised from NYC over a dozen times, and knock on wood, only experienced rough seas ONE day. That was in 2001, coming back from Bermuda. We have experienced fog on a few of our Canada cruises, but that's about it. On the last sea day on the Splendor, the seas were as smooth as I have ever seen them!