Price question for those who have been on a maiden voyage

This is a general question. I have Quantum in mind at this point, but it will serve me and others well with other new-builds.

I expect higher prices for the maiden voyage, and my question is threefold:

1. Is a maiden voyage worth the extra cost?

2. Surely there are kinks to be worked out. Are these easily overlooked? What are your experiences in this area?

3. If one were to book early for the maiden voyage, is it likely the prices might go DOWN as the sail date approaches? or only UP? I realize this is not a typical cruise.

Many thanks.

Kathy

This is a general question. I have Quantum in mind at this point, but it will serve me and others well with other new-builds.

I expect higher prices for the maiden voyage, and my question is threefold:

1. Is a maiden voyage worth the extra cost?

2. Surely there are kinks to be worked out. Are these easily overlooked? What are your experiences in this area?

3. If one were to book early for the maiden voyage, is it likely the prices might go DOWN as the sail date approaches? or only UP? I realize this is not a typical cruise.

Many thanks.

Kathy

By definition the Maiden Voyage is the first voyage of a ship after its acceptance by the owners from the builders. Therefore the Maiden Voyage of the Quantum is Nov 2, 2014 and that cruise is no longer available for booking. Perhaps you are referring to the Inaugural Voyage Nov 23, 2014 ?

Though the crew will have been working on the ship sometime before it leaves the shipyard and also there will be 3 cruises prior to the Inaugural Cruise 11/23/13, there are bound to still be some kinks to be worked out. Whether or not those kinks can be overlooked are yet to be determined.

Don't expect any price reductions anytime soon for the Quantum as historically new ships generally do not have any problems getting bookings. So would not book the cruise on the basis of possibly getting a price reduction further down the road.

By definition the Maiden Voyage is the first voyage of a ship after its acceptance by the owners from the builders. Therefore the Maiden Voyage of the Quantum is Nov 2, 2014 and that cruise is no longer available for booking. Perhaps you are referring to the Inaugural Voyage Nov 23, 2014 ?

Plenty of cabins still available on the November 2, 2014. While it shows n/a on the site, if you click through, you will see bookable cabins on the next page.

I agree the price will do nothing but rise on Q.

Thanks for the responses. Guess I'm still a little foggy about the difference between maiden and inaugural voyage. I'm thinking about the one that is so highly touted.

And part of my question was what special activities or perks are available? (And would this be for maiden? or inaugural?)

Thanks again. Kathy

WE booked for the 1st 7 day Oasis voyage - original booking price was $1800'ish pp (for an inside) by the sailing date we were at $1429. We booked when the non-D's were allowed.

In comparison - we booked Allure in October the following year for the 1st 7 night sailing in December for $749 for the exact same stateroom

That's the kind of price information I am looking for. Thanks, Beth.

And what was your onboard experience as far as glitches were concerned?

What kind of perks or gifts did you get for being on that cruise? Was it worth it?

Thanks.

(I paid $679 for my 7-night Allure cruise in October!)

Kathy

We did both the Oasis and Allure, Royal referred to the Oasis cruise as the inaugural and the Allure as the maiden voyage. At least that's what it says on the certificates they gave us.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

We did both the Oasis and Allure, Royal referred to the Oasis cruise as the inaugural and the Allure as the maiden voyage. At least that's what it says on the certificates they gave us.

My 12/5 Oasis & Allure certificates both say, Maiden Voyage.

My 12/5 Oasis & Allure certificates both say, Maiden Voyage.

Your right it's the refrigerator magnets that say inaugural and maiden. We were with you on Oasis, we brought a lot of school supplies for the Critters donation to Royal school. I don't think we met on the Allure but may have a the M&M.

That's the kind of price information I am looking for. Thanks, Beth.

And what was your onboard experience as far as glitches were concerned?

What kind of perks or gifts did you get for being on that cruise? Was it worth it?

Thanks.

Both were worth every penny. Since the Oasis was my first EVER cruise I really can't comment on glitches etc since I was oblivious to what it "should have been" and honestly you're in such awe that you don't even really notice.

The one drawback with a maiden voyage is that regardless of how much homework you do pre-cruise there really isn't that much information out there about the ship. (exhibit A - I didn't even step foot in Park Cafe on the Oasis maiden voyage... didn't realize it was a freebie :eek:) When we went on the Allure a year later it was much relaxed since we had a better idea of what we wanted to do and all the additional information that had been put out there by other cruisers from 51 sailings of Oasis etc.

We did get tons of goodies for the maiden voyages - every night there were presents on the beds when we'd get back to the cabin. Everything from flags, lanyards, commemorative photos to the Royal Caribbean cookbook.

Even though it was worth every penny unless the prices on the USA Q Inaugural drop I wont be on it's maiden. Why? For the itinerary they're offering I can't honestly justify the price. Having a few cruises under my belt i'm starting to get more picky in my ports of call and I really like the longer cruises so we'll probably go on Q for one of the 11-13 nighters.

Archived