Why Ban e-Cigarettes?

Paul65

That seems like an unlikely statement (both in it's truth and in the fact that I doubt you have research every documented case of an e-cig battery exploding). But you're right that people should be careful about using the correct charger.

In some cases it's not that obvious, though. For instance, many rechargeable electronics these days use a USB cord, and the sole purpose in having that USB connection for charging is the versatility to plug it into a computer or other USB connection. So, if it is only meant to be plugged into the accompanying electrical plug, that's a poor design to use a standard, universal cord like that.

I will admit it is an overstatement. After using all types of e-cigs with numerous types of batteries and chargers. I belong to and read several e-cig forums and articles. I guess I would have been more accurate in stating that in all the cases that have made the news, reported in forums, etc. it has been reported that the batteries were being improperly charged or had been damaged previously.

I will admit it is an overstatement. After using all types of e-cigs with numerous types of batteries and chargers. I belong to and read several e-cig forums and articles. I guess I would have been more accurate in stating that in all the cases that have made the news, reported in forums, etc. it has been reported that the batteries were being improperly charged or had been damaged previously.

Actually, the one that was brought up in this thread claimed that the person was using the correct charger, but others decided that they know better and that it couldn't have been the correct charger.

Actually, the one that was brought up in this thread claimed that the person was using the correct charger, but others decided that they know better and that it couldn't have been the correct charger.

If it was the one where the child got burned, the mother admitted to using the wrong charger in a news article.

Not quite correct. While the charger itself was the one supplied with the pv, it was plugged into a power supply that output 2-4x the amperage than the charger was designed to handle. Excess amperage = excess heat. Not a good idea with a sealed battery.

Not quite correct. While the charger itself was the one supplied with the pv, it was plugged into a power supply that output 2-4x the amperage than the charger was designed to handle. Excess amperage = excess heat. Not a good idea with a sealed battery.

My bad, the article I read quoted her as saying it was another charger she got somewhere else but she assumed it would work just fine.:)

I didn't see that in the news article. I read where someone assumed that this must have been the case, though. But that was part of my point above on the design using a USB connection. If a charger is not able to handle most standard USB power sources, why design in the versatility of a standard USB cord? Doesn't make sense to me.

My bad, the article I read quoted her as saying it was another charger she got somewhere else but she assumed it would work just fine.:)

Really, the article posted here quoted both her and the investigating officer as saying it was the correct charger that came with the device.

I didn't see that in the news article. I read where someone assumed that this must have been the case, though. But that was part of my point above on the design using a USB connection. If a charger is not able to handle most standard USB power sources, why design in the versatility of a standard USB cord? Doesn't make sense to me.

The problem comes when you couple that design with the reluctance of some people to read and follow the instructions that come with the device.

The problem comes when you couple that design with the reluctance of some people to read and follow the instructions that come with the device.

Maybe. I still think, if that is really the case (that plugging a USB-based charger into a USB port could be potentially hazardous), then it is a design flaw of the device. I struggle to think of a similar example of something that has a standard plug, but you have to be careful not to plug it into the wrong, matching receptacle.

And, though I have not read the instruction that come with a White Rhino e-cig, if it says to only plug it into the included AC converter, then why have a USB plug at all? Why not just have it all in one cord, so your only option is to plug it into an AC outlet?

In a way, I hate that I keep coming off as being against e-cigarettes, but it's hard not to argue with some people who seem so anxious to whitewash any and all concerns.

STAYED AWAY FROM THIS ONE..until now!

Two camps dug in...no change in opinions...

But the post of the year......and the winner is:

E-cigs and global warming!

Really?

Talk amoungst yourselves on that one!

I decided to just ignore that one. :D

If you can plug an e-cig into a USB port it's too bad you can't download data onto it and have the data fed to you well using the e-cig by some sort of osmosis. Now that would be a reason so smoke.

Tom

Maybe. I still think, if that is really the case (that plugging a USB-based charger into a USB port could be potentially hazardous), then it is a design flaw of the device. I struggle to think of a similar example of something that has a standard plug, but you have to be careful not to plug it into the wrong, matching receptacle.

And, though I have not read the instruction that come with a White Rhino e-cig, if it says to only plug it into the included AC converter, then why have a USB plug at all? Why not just have it all in one cord, so your only option is to plug it into an AC outlet?

In a way, I hate that I keep coming off as being against e-cigarettes, but it's hard not to argue with some people who seem so anxious to whitewash any and all concerns.

Archived