Platinum Ships?

Booked our cruise and stay for the Canaries in January on the Celebration. It will be nice to get away from the cold and snow for a while during the winter.

The last time we were on this ship it was it not "Platinum". Is there really much difference and if so what are the best changes?

Booked our cruise and stay for the Canaries in January on the Celebration. It will be nice to get away from the cold and snow for a while during the winter.

The last time we were on this ship it was it not "Platinum". Is there really much difference and if so what are the best changes?

No there isn't much difference really - just a much needed refurb. Cabins have been spruced up with fresh carpets and upholstery and the ensuites have new wall tiles replacing the mosaic tiles which were very difficult to keep looking good. So that is a big improvement as it was the one aspect of the Celebration which I felt really let it down. There are also tea/coffee making facilities in the cabins too.

Public areas have been recarpeted too, Lido restaurant also newly done out but perhaps the most noticeable change will be the canopy on the Lido deck with new seating which looks very nice. Enjoy your trip.

As kruzseeka has said really it was just a much needed upgrade, and really it was over-hyped, but out of Dream and Celebration, I would say it would seem that Celebration has faired better with the upgrade, but maybe it needed a bit more work.

The link below shows some images since the ship has had its refurb:

http://www.thomson.co.uk/cruise/ships/thomson-celebration-photos.html

The Lido Restaurant and outside area definitely looks like the biggest improvement.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a lot of difference in platinum we got more last year on the celebration than we did on the dream this year , finding standards have fallen ! Like food cutbacks , more surcharges on certain drinks . still good value for money especially both years drinks AI was only £69 pp but hoping no more changes for future cruising with Thompson .:(

I think cutbacks are common to all cruise lines at the moment. Just come back from Crown Princess and had a wonderful time, but earlier I was reading reviews and people were saying the same thing about cutbacks. Also on Fred Olsen and P&O :rolleyes:

I the found food was much better on Fred O Linda and most of the drinks are slightly cheaper. Proper cocktails too.

Yes, cocktails were hit and miss on The Dream, no Mojitos which is surprising as a really common one the world over! and cocktails were watered down, the only one worth drinking I tried was a Margarita As we are talking Platinum here think it should be a bit more going for it, last year on the Celebration beef was prime rib this year at lunch it was like prime dog food dry as a bone more like a dried up piece of brisket! So really have to comment why oh why Platinum!!! I really wished Thomson had not put Platinum in front for a big time marketing because you really expect more than previous years not just a mini bar, kettle in room and a few new carpets and chairs scattered around as I say for the money still ok compared to other lines!!!!!!

I the found food was much better on Fred O Linda and most of the drinks are slightly cheaper. Proper cocktails too.

Which Thomson ship were you on? We thought the Dream was quite poor this year, but the food on the Majesty was very good.

We've got free AI on Braemar next year as we booked early, but I asked on Fred boards and was told you still have supplements on some things, e.g. Baileys :( I was looking forward to free Hot Chocolate Baileys as a nightcap, but will have to pay for the Baileys :rolleyes:

No Tequila sunrise on Dream either, LindaHarve, which is the only cocktail I really like :rolleyes:

Was on the Dream but perfered the Celebration ship, a view felt by many others we met on board ! Perfer different bars on different decks which the Dream does not , to many walkways through bars which does not give a nice intimate feel on the evening! Will look at other cruise lines if we can get the same sort of drink package .

Was on the Dream but perfered the Celebration ship, a view felt by many others we met on board ! Perfer different bars on different decks which the Dream does not , to many walkways through bars which does not give a nice intimate feel on the evening! Will look at other cruise lines if we can get the same sort of drink package .

My view also on the two ships. Don't like how Dream's bars are all on one deck, plus no Horizon's style bar on Dream. Although, Dream's show lounge is far better than Celebration.

I quite like all the bars being on one deck....agree on the lack of horizons, thats a big let down for the dream

I do like the ambience of liberties but do agree it would be too small for dream.....I have never really liked the medusa....its the relentless thru traffic and lack of seating....I am sure it could be made a little more intimate

imo all the thoms ships lack a pub like bar (ocean bar would make a good pub...thoms eh?:cool:)

I quite like all the bars being on one deck....agree on the lack of horizons, thats a big let down for the dream

I do like the ambience of liberties but do agree it would be too small for dream.....I have never really liked the medusa....its the relentless thru traffic and lack of seating....I am sure it could be made a little more intimate

imo all the thoms ships lack a pub like bar (ocean bar would make a good pub...thoms eh?:cool:)

And a proper coffee bar would be nice, with fresh cakes and pastries. :rolleyes:

And a proper coffee bar would be nice, with fresh cakes and pastries. :rolleyes:

absolutely.... (ditch the fruit sponge in custard thoms.... just ditch it...well at least not twice a day:( ) oh!....and you know what?...I was just thinkin...

i.e has all of this....a pub, cafe brazil (with proper muffins & pastries and a nice view over the wake) ....thoms....why aren't you taking this concept and running with it??:cool:

a platinum pub, a platinum cafe brazil.......now that would be something to (platinum) shout about (thumbup)

Now there's a great idea. What about in Water's Edge during the day? Such an under-used space and I can't see that it would affect it's nightclub activities at night. Every time we've drifted in the daytime it's absolutely empty!

Now there's a great idea. What about in Water's Edge during the day? Such an under-used space and I can't see that it would affect it's nightclub activities at night. Every time we've drifted in the daytime it's absolutely empty!

Oooh, cakes and pastries. That is a good idea.:cool:

Also a good place to put it K. I think I'd been on a week before I found this place:o and then only because they were doing some dancing class there.

Archived