Teenagers cruising with Cunard

cruiser101101

Many people hate having teens on board a ships whilst they are cruising.

Well I am completely against this. There is nothing wrong with teens on board, everyone was once a teenager and acted exactly like they do.

Teens are also more vibrant and active than most adults on board Cunard Liner's or any other ship, they don't spend most of their time in a bar drinking whisky.

Ships like QM2/QE/QV has earned the title God's waiting room, and they really need to get rid of that!

For the purposes of this discussion I am defining teens as people who aged between 12 and 17.

It all depends on whether or not the parents are going to go on vacation from their parenting responsibilities. Young people run amok tends to be more of a problem on Carnival and RCI.

I recently came off QM2 where there were about 130 12-17 years olds on board - an unusually high number for a Cunard ship. I noticed no problems with late night loud wanderings about the ship. But maybe others had a different experience.

Many people hate having teens on board a ships whilst they are cruising.

Well I am completely against this. There is nothing wrong with teens on board, everyone was once a teenager and acted exactly like they do.

Teens are also more vibrant and active than most adults on board Cunard Liner's or any other ship, they don't spend most of their time in a bar drinking whisky.

Ships like QM2/QE/QV has earned the title God's waiting room, and they really need to get rid of that!

For the purposes of this discussion I am defining teens as people who aged between 12 and 17.

They are soooooooo vibrant and active. I for one, look forward to dance-offs in the newly "vibrant & active" Queens Room.

i-v987KLX-L.gif

I spent a week aboard an MSC ship (chosen by friends) in the school holidays. I didn't notice teens but I can say that the parents of small children left them to run amok. I twice say one tiny child (4 at the most) knocking on the stateroom door begging to be let in, or at least to be told where she was meant to go: 'Just tell me the floor number - 9, 10, 12? Just tell me!' The only time I bothered to put out a 'Do not disturb notice', it was gone in the morning so the steward knocked anyway. He told me that was quite a common problem on the ship. Kids ran up and down the corridor and through the public spaces playing 'tag'.

I love kids, but their parents do need to remain responsible. The ship is not a child-minder.

As for teenagers, I assume they would find their own spaces, as they would not necessarily choose to be in the same area as we older people. I have never known them to be a problem.

There is nothing wrong with teens on board, everyone was once a teenager and acted exactly like they do.
Hi cruiser101101,

Do all teens act exactly the same way as each other then? :confused:

And behave exactly as I did when I was a teenager (shortly before the last Ice-Age)?

Best wishes,

And behave exactly as I did when I was a teenager (shortly before the last Ice-Age)?

Best wishes,

So that was you who left the drawings on the cave walls! Since the camera wasn't invented yet for you to take pictures.

Don

They are soooooooo vibrant and active. I for one, look forward to dance-offs in the newly "vibrant & active" Queens Room.

i-v987KLX-L.gif

I think you meant to post this on the "Stars at Sea" thread. Nothing beats a quick shuffle to the beat of Maffay's well-known hit "My teensy, tiny knockwurst".

So that was you who left the drawings on the cave walls! Since the camera wasn't invented yet for you to take pictures. Don
Hi Don,

:) Yes, that was me :o . My early work was near the cave entrance, but once someone invented fire, I could see to work further back in the cave.

I well remember saying to a Druid at the newly completed Stonehenge "of course, if we don't get the next Olympics you've wasted your time with that stadium".

Best wishes,

I think you meant to post this on the "Stars at Sea" thread. Nothing beats a quick shuffle to the beat of Maffay's well-known hit "My teensy, tiny knockwurst".

Maybe Cunard is going to expand their "Stars at Sea" promotion and ban all passengers over 17? It certainly seems like the OP has the 'latest goss'.

As "vibrant & active" as teens apparently are, their presence in large numbers will alter some aspect of the Cunard experience. For example, the dinning rooms will be very quite as the teens will be tweeting & texting each other instead of talking. :cool:

On a more positive aspect, Vibez will have to go (hurrah) to make way for a more "vibrant & active" entertainment line up.

I'm looking forward to watching One Direction, Taylor Swift & Selena Gomez (pictured below with the Bieb) on my next Cunard voyage. How many current Cunarders are 'Beliebers' I wonder?

i-567jwqJ-L.jpgi-vNCbT8q-L.jpgi-VcX4MdB-L.jpg

Maybe Cunard is going to expand their "Stars at Sea" promotion and ban all passengers over 17? It certainly seems like the OP has the 'latest goss'.

I think I would prefer to go back to the 1980s when I really was 17 and when a boyfriend really would look at you or have a dance rather than bury themselves in their phones.

I don't find today's teenagers particularly vibrant or active. I think that it is telling that in the 1980s there were no obese teenagers (or even really overweight teenagers) at my school.

Originally Posted by cruiser101101 viewpost.gif

...Ships like QM2/QE/QV has earned the title God's waiting room,

Why?! Personally, I can't think of a nicer place to wait.

J

Amen to that, J. !!!! :D What a way to go.

( I do believe that I read someplace that Holland America has the oldest clientele on average? So if Cunard is God's waiting room, I guess Holland America would have to be referred to as The Walking dead? :eek:)

As "vibrant & active" as teens apparently are, their presence in large numbers will alter some aspect of the Cunard experience. For example, the dinning rooms will be very quite as the teens will be tweeting & texting each other instead of talking.

Whitemarsh:

So true! A point of contention between this grandmother and her older teen grandchildren. Their phones are now a permanent appendage on the end of their arms. 'Conversation' to them is in written form only. Nothing like those heartfelt short unreadable texts to warm a grandmother's heart! :rolleyes:

Hi Don,

:) Yes, that was me . My early work was near the cave entrance, but once someone invented fire, I could see to work further back in the cave.

Yes, I hear tell that George Eastman invented his camera in 1888 so that thousands of more people could enjoy your fantastic pictures and not have to trudge through all those damp dark caves. ;)

Wishing she had a ticket 'God's Waiting Room' in her very near future,

seasidegal

We have always encountered smaller groups of teens on board which is probably worse than having tons of them. They usually look bored...end up trying to impress each other, and always seem to use KC as their evening hang out...which may explain why they are bored. Never like to see them at the buffet using it as their personal finger food trough. The 8 teens that walked thru KC at lunch time SCREAMING "Merry Christmas" over and over were indeed vibrant.

There are so many lines that cater to younger people....why not leave Cunard to those that choose Cunard because they don't want to be surrounded by the very young.

Gods waiting room and people spending most of their time in bars drinking whiskey don't really belong in the same sentence.

I find it amazing that people have the need to always "change" things instead of choosing the Line that suits them best.

It seems to me that there are quite a few who see all teenagers as rowdy children. Well I beg to differ :D, honestly, I act like an old person even though I'm only 17. (see how I fall within that range of 12-17?)

I don't like loud noise, I do everything slowly (ie. eat, walk, bathroom), I have pretty good manners (never in my life had I had a complaint about me on a ship), my phone is not an extension of my arm (though I can't say the same about my friends ^^") and I'm a really relaxed and generally happy person who enjoys doing nothing, so I don't ever get bored on board. :)

My sister and I will be travelling on the QE in the near future (we're 15 & 17 at the time of sailing) and I can assure you, we are not like the typical teenagers you see today. (no squealing about One Direction, Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift here).

So please don't lump us in with the noisy idiots that go to my school. :)

It seems to me that there are quite a few who see all teenagers as rowdy children. Well I beg to differ ... So please don't lump us in with the noisy idiots that go to my school. :)
Hi lovely_serenity,

Well said :) .

As I suggested in post #6 above, not all teenagers act/behave in the same way. It is silly to suggest they do.

Best wishes to you and Bon Voyage! :)

Hi lovely_serenity,

Well said :) .

As I suggested in post #6 above, not all teenagers act/behave in the same way. It is silly to suggest they do.

Best wishes to you and Bon Voyage! :)

I was just going to say that, in my cruises to date I have yet to encounter a rude or unruly teenager. But then it would be very nearly true to say that I've never encountered a teenager of any variety. :D

J

W.C. Fields Children Hour

1. Children should neither be seen nor heard from -- ever again.

2. I never met a kid I liked.

3. I like children. If they're properly cooked.

4. Madam, there's no such thing as a tough child -- if you parboil them first for seven hours, they always come out tender.

5. They are also very good with mustard.

6. Anyone who hates children and animals can't be all bad.

:rolleyes:

Ours were 15 and 18 on our first crossing. So one didn't fit the OP's criteria for teenager. We got the usual number of compliments on their behaviour.

I've seen a variety of performances from all age groups. Cranky curmudgeons aren't much fun neither. And have made up the majority of line crashers I've encountered on board. I've also met some very nice old withered crocks.

I don't know why it is OK to single out teens when some other groups are off limits.

Ours were 15 and 18 on our first crossing. So one didn't fit the OP's criteria for teenager. We got the usual number of compliments on their behaviour.

I've seen a variety of performances from all age groups. Cranky curmudgeons aren't much fun neither. And have made up the majority of line crashers I've encountered on board. I've also met some very nice old withered crocks.

I don't know why it is OK to single out teens when some other groups are off limits.

I agree with you Ryan, it takes all sorts! Even ashore l sometimes find the younger folk are much better behaved than their elders!

Best, Judy

[quote

I don't know why it is OK to single out teens when some other groups are off limits.[/

Think about it......if you often get compliments on your teens behavior...that would indicate that they are the exception rather than the rule. Just my opinion. :)

Archived