Miami - Public transit or a taxi?

iheartmarshall

DH and I are cruising from POM in May 2014 and are flying down the day before. We've narrowed down our hotel options to a budget-friendly place near the airport for the convenience of a free airport shuttle and low cost shuttle service to POM.

However, our flight arrives at 1:00pm which allows for a free evening of sight-seeing. We're Miami newbies but thought about heading downtown (probably near Bayside) or checking out South Beach. Question is, would it be cheaper to get a taxi to and from or try to navigate public transit? Or, after all is said and done, should we look into staying downtown and walking where we want? I guess depending on the cost of the taxi or transit, it might be the same amount of money to stay downtown.

Thoughts?

I really enjoy staying downtown.

So, if it was me, I would not stay by the airport. Rather, I would stay downtown and then enjoy the afternoon and evening in Miami and if you like to walk it is so very easy to get around by foot.

Take a look at the Hampton Inn. Nearby are lots of restaurants and it's fun to walk around that area. It includes Breakfast.

Keith

I really enjoy staying downtown.

So, if it was me, I would not stay by the airport. Rather, I would stay downtown and then enjoy the afternoon and evening in Miami and if you like to walk it is so very easy to get around by foot.

Take a look at the Hampton Inn. Nearby are lots of restaurants and it's fun to walk around that area. It includes Breakfast.

Keith

Free breakfast is a MUST! Thanks for the recommendation, I will check it out.

I like John's idea if you are game. If you have never been to the Miami area, you will appreciate Miami Beach/South Beach as the "Miami" you see on tv, movies and in pictures. Downtown Miami, altho okay to see and stay once, really has little more than being a big city, lots of condos on the water etc. And you'll catch a glimpse of it on the way to your ship too.

Compare pricing of hotels downtown to where you have booked. Then make your decision. SoBe would be a fun time.

Archived