Gluten Free on Allure of the Seas

Jmeyers

I just found out I that I have an allergy to wheat and need to eat gluten free. Do I have to let me TA know? Do I let the dining room know ahead of time? Are the gluten free options good? What about deserts? D the specialty restaurants have gluten free menus?

There are several items on the menu which are gluten free if I recall correctly. However, I would still let your TA know and ensure they have contacted Royal Caribbean. When it comes to Dietary Needs, RCCL has a policy of being notified in advanced.

This is so they can better prepare for guests on board who may have dietary needs on a given sailing. Makes the work a ton easier when placing orders to restock the ship with specific items.

I just found out I that I have an allergy to wheat and need to eat gluten free. Do I have to let me TA know? Do I let the dining room know ahead of time? Are the gluten free options good? What about deserts? D the specialty restaurants have gluten free menus?

Yes speak with TA and RCI. They have a separate GF kitchen as I am GF as well. Talk to M.D. once on board the ship :)

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

Do notify the Special Needs Department ASAP. RCL ships have dedicated gluten free preparation areas to avoid any cross contamination. Menus have gluten free options. You still should always state that you have an allergy to wheat before ordering.

We cruised Liberty in April 3 months after my celiac disease was diagnosed and I started eating gluten free. Eating out can be a nightmare as even a stray bread crumb or soy in a salad dressing can lead to severe pain for days so I was very nervous about cruising.

The cruise was a fantastic dining experience! I was advised by Special Needs to go to the MDR once I was on board to also let them know. I was shown the menu for that night and advised what to order. The Head Waiter met us at our table that evening. Our waiter went above and beyond the call of duty to insure I was eating well and healthy. The desserts were great.

The Head Waiter spoke to Room Service to insure my daily breakfasts were gluten free. I avoid buffets due to risks of cross contamination so I did not experience the Windjammer. The speciality restaurants, including Johnny Rockets, were great. I can't remember the name of the Pizza Place (Sorento's?), but they prepare a great gluten free pizza with about 15 minutes advance notice. I understand the Cupcake place offers gluten free, but I did not try them. The Starbucks on board had prepackaged gluten free cookies.

I hope to have a similar experience on our Legend cruise in December and Allure next June!

Hoppy

There's a lot on GF on these boards.... and my experience of dining GF on Freedom is in my blog in my sig below.

Wherever you dine you need to give them a heads up on board. In the Main Dining Room let your server know.... as you'll have told RCCL already they should already be aware. The specific items you can choose will be noted on the menu each night. At breakfast in the MDR let your server know. You can request GF pancakes, french toast, muffins (get the muffins to go for a snack later!). On sea days lunch in the MDR is wonderful.... just be sure to point out to the servers at the Tutti Salad bar that you need GF dressing on that salad.

In the buffet ask to speak to the chef who will walk you through what you can eat. The servers will not know and whilst they will try their best are not necessarily reliable.

You can get GF cupcakes at the Cupcake store (sooooo good!!) and GF pizza at Sorrentos (mnomnmomnmomn).

If you go to a specialty restaurant give them advance warning that you are coming..... Johnny Rockets will have GF buns....

Happy to answer questions though no experience of Oasis Class.... yet....

I am Gluten Intolerant also, an I went on the Allure in May 2013. The ship has a complete sensitivity, as do all RCCL ships to this issue. Be sure to tell your head waiter, T/A, and call special needs at RCCL so that your booking reflects your food issue. The windjammer has signs posted for G.F. and all specialty restaurants can accommodate. There are G.F. hamburger and hot dog buns available on request in windjammer, dog house, as well as johnny rockets. In windjammer, you can ask any chef to assist you to assure/minimize your exposure also. BTW, it is best to ask for G.F. French fries, if you want them, as regular Ff's are possibly contaminated. The GF pizza in sorrentos is teriffic, but requires you order. There is also GF beer at the pub . MDR has GF breads and dinner rolls on request, and GF French toast/ pancakes. The head waiter will probably talk each night with you on the next nights offerings so you can establish your desires. Have a great cruise and keep in mind, when in doubt, ask.

• 6 months later...

My experience last June on the Liberty sailing in the Mediterranean was not as good as the above. I had dry brownies for 4 nights straight. The chef in the Windjammer never offered gluten free bread or buns nor took the time to tell me what was "safe".

Our TA advised RCCL and i sent an email as well to special needs. The Head Waiter was advised as well. My husband finally talked to someone on board and managed to get me a different dessert. Additionally, when ordering room service, gluten free was not an option. I am thankful I know enough what not to eat! Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband is celiac and we spent last Christmas on Allure. Since he was drooling on my roast beef (a.k.a. Kummelweck) sandwich, I asked if they can make it gluten-free. And YES they can!! :p

So enjoy your Park Café sandwiches (note: the roast beef is THE ONLY sandwich they can make gluten-free there)

My experience last June on the Liberty sailing in the Mediterranean was not as good as the above. I had dry brownies for 4 nights straight. The chef in the Windjammer never offered gluten free bread or buns nor took the time to tell me what was "safe".

Our TA advised RCCL and i sent an email as well to special needs. The Head Waiter was advised as well. My husband finally talked to someone on board and managed to get me a different dessert. Additionally, when ordering room service, gluten free was not an option. I am thankful I know enough what not to eat! Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did you approach the Head Chef in WJ for support?