Breakaway "Wicked" sailing??? What does this mean, exactly?

Weeziblu

I was just recently made aware of the fact that our sailing would be some sort of "Wicked" event.

When I google search it, I get an information page and I understand the theme, but its very unclear whether the entire cruise would be centered around Wicked, or if there are just additional Wicked events planned for whomever chooses to participate.

If anyone has any experience with this type of thing, I'd really appreciate some feedback. We booked this trip well over a year ago and had NO IDEA we were booking a themed sailing. And truthfully, it isn't very well advertised. I can't find a single mention of this on the NCL website. Seems a bit strange to me.

Specifically, I'm wondering:

1. if the Wicked "events" are open to anyone sailing that voyage (on the itinerary of activities, there are many events planned, including "Wicked Beach Olympics" at Great Stirrup Cay).

2. should we expect increased crowds because of this special theme? (we're already contending with "Jersey Week")

3. Are they actually showing Wicked on board, rather than, or in addition to Rock of Ages?

4. Will the special Wicked events cause some other activities to be cancelled?

Thanks for any help you can offer,

I am almost certain that the Wicked activities will be open only to those who booked through the organizer of The Wicked Cruise. If you didn't book through them, you won't be allowed to participate.

The way I read it, the activities do not include an actual performance of the musical. So, I don't believe any regularly scheduled show on the Breakaway would be replaced.

For anyone who wants to check out this theme cruise, use link:

http://thewickedcruise.com/home

I don't want to scare the OP but some here say that the cruises with large groups (partitial charter) are sometimes worse than having the whole cruise chartered and "normal" passengers bumped off.

We sailed on one cruise that had several hundred members of a religious group that had their own special events onboard throughout the ship and hence closing off some public spaces and venues (even the midship MDR) from other passengers at times. It wasn't unbearable but if I have a choice, I try not to sail on cruises that have large, publicly advertised special groups onboard.

I was just recently made aware of the fact that our sailing would be some sort of "Wicked" event.

When I google search it, I get an information page and I understand the theme, but its very unclear whether the entire cruise would be centered around Wicked, or if there are just additional Wicked events planned for whomever chooses to participate.

If anyone has any experience with this type of thing, I'd really appreciate some feedback. We booked this trip well over a year ago and had NO IDEA we were booking a themed sailing. And truthfully, it isn't very well advertised. I can't find a single mention of this on the NCL website.

Seems a bit strange to me. They usually don't advertise these private groups... Usually have to find out through google, etc...

Specifically, I'm wondering:

1. if the Wicked "events" are open to anyone sailing that voyage (on the itinerary of activities, there are many events planned, including "Wicked Beach Olympics" at Great Stirrup Cay). No they will only be open to those who pay the additional fees to book the cabins set aside for the group.

2. should we expect increased crowds because of this special theme? (we're already contending with "Jersey Week") Depends on how popular Wicked is to this group of people. (the ones with bands, are packed.)

3. Are they actually showing Wicked on board, rather than, or in addition to Rock of Ages? From looking at their schedule of events, there is no special performances in the evening.

4. Will the special Wicked events cause some other activities to be cancelled? Probably some in the mornings or afternoons, when they have their sessions scheduled on all sea days.

They have to hold their events at some venue on the ship.

At least all of their events appear to be scheduled in the mornings and afternoons.

On the larger event cruises, events or concerts/shows, frequently bump events from the main theaters/lounges for private concerts or shows in the evenings.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Hope that helps

Bill

The size of the private group will drive how much impact it will have on the balance of the cruisers...a positive factor is the layout of the Breakaway is more condusive to host smaller groups of this type ..looking at the schedule when most of their activities are planned are when smaller public rooms are not in general usage (most folks would be by the pool or enjoying their balcony cabins)

My daughter will be quitting her job if she cannot get time off for this.

Best part is it is during hurricane season can you imagine being on it in storm??? I am loving it. She has seen wicked about 10 times

I have been on cruises with groups, expect some rooms to be closed off for private parties. Like the smaller bars and lounges during their booking, it can be annoying as I like the small spaces and it is not posted well, been asked to leave a lounge we were enjoying one afternoon so the group could take over, moved to another and was private also. GSC had area you could not use the group only was allowed. With Breakaway and all the people I bet tenders and space on the GSC will be an issue, you may have a hard time finding an area not crowded.

Yikes. Does anyone know of a website that lists upcoming partial charters like this one? I would rather have a tooth pulled than spend a week on a ship with a group of diehard (i.e. annoying) fans of, well, anything.

There is a few, but usually none will cover all of the possible group charters...

You have the music charters, theater charters like this, sports charters, religious charters, nude group charters, gay and lesbian charters, computer nerd charters, etc, etc, etc....

No way to have a single webiste that covers the entirety of various charters..

Usually your best bet is to google your ship and sailing date and if there is a private group scheduled, it will pop up in the first few results.

Now there is nothing to say if you check well out from the sailing, that a group won't get added later.

Bill

I have been on cruises with groups, expect some rooms to be closed off for private parties. Like the smaller bars and lounges during their booking, it can be annoying as I like the small spaces and it is not posted well, been asked to leave a lounge we were enjoying one afternoon so the group could take over, moved to another and was private also. GSC had area you could not use the group only was allowed. With Breakaway and all the people I bet tenders and space on the GSC will be an issue, you may have a hard time finding an area not crowded.

I really don't mind *some* areas being reserved for special events, but my biggest worry is GSC. I tried many many many months ago to book a cabana but by the time I got home from work and had a minute... They were gone. These "Wicked Olympics" have me worried about what that means for the rest of us at GSC who weren't able to reserve a cabana.

If you're lucky they will be using the far beach after the cabana's. It is around the corner in a small cove, not much there at all. I saw Kevin Sheehan's group doing this there 2 winters ago off the sky.

Of course I did not know it was him at the time and just kept walking.

Archived