My Birth Certificate and Driver's License Last Names are Different

derekcassese

Hi all! I have a quick question. I'm kind of freaking out at the moment because of an issue with my travel documentation.

I was adopted as an adult and had my last name switched. My driver's license reflects my old last name and my birth certificate has my new last name. Attempting to get an updated SS card or driver's license has been a nightmare (I started attempting 4 months ago but I'm being run in circles). Now my cruise is three weeks out and I still have mismatched paperwork.

I e-mailed my travel agent and she thinks that it will be no problem, but I just want to see if anyone has been through this situation before. The information I'm going to bring to the port is:

-Driver's License (old last name)

-Birth Certificate (new last name/name of booking)

-Adoption Paperwork (Links both names)

If anyone could shed some insight on their experience that would be great. Thanks!

Hi

I had problems getting my names to match before my trip, plus I was traveling with my daughter who now has a different last name. The key to making everyone happy (including Checking in at the start of the cruise) seemed to be having the documentation that links the names (in my case a Marriage License). So on that note, you should be OK. I would advise RCI anyways, just to make sure you have no issues, or at least so you don;t waste time in line trying to find out if you have issues. I think Airseagfo at rccl dot com might be your best bet.

I traveled to Europe so I had my passport as my documentation. Are you travelling somewhere where you should have a passport?

Oh nice! We're just doing a closed-circuit cruise starting and ending in Florida. From what I've read it looks like as long as I bring my adoption paperwork with everything I'll be relatively okay.

Its my first vacation in a very long time (and my company isn't the most liberal with PTO), so I'm moderately paranoid in making sure everything goes off without a hitch.

Thanks for the reply!

Mine is slightly different but may help you. Married last year, changed my name to that legally, but didnt change it on the passport. I freaked out that the passport and DL didnt match, so i was told to bring along a copy of my marriage certificate and of course i went overboard and brought other stuff too. No one ever asked to see any of the additional documents and didnt seem to care that my names didnt match up. The reservation was in the name on my DL, not my passport if that matters

Odds are you will have no problem. BUT, to be sure, do NOT rely on the advice of anybody on a forum unless they represent RCL. Call up RCL and tell them all about the problem/concern. Write down what they said and who you were talking to along with the date/time. Even better, have them send you an e-mail stating that there is no problem. Print it out and take it along with you when you check in just in case....

That should do it as long as you have the official paperwork linking the names.

This is the correct answer. They won't care if the names are different as long as you can show WHY they are different. Many people have different names on various forms of ID. As long as you can show the link, you'll be fine.

Oh nice! We're just doing a closed-circuit cruise starting and ending in Florida. From what I've read it looks like as long as I bring my adoption paperwork with everything I'll be relatively okay.

Its my first vacation in a very long time (and my company isn't the most liberal with PTO), so I'm moderately paranoid in making sure everything goes off without a hitch.

Thanks for the reply!

That is correct , you have your original birth certificate (not a copy but a state issued one), your adoption papers showing your old last name and new last name and then your drivers license. Are you sure you listed your info right? if your state issued picture id (drivers license ) doesn't have the right name on it, there could be a problem. Ok I now say call RCI and ask for a supervisor, not the person who answers the phone first time.

Good luck on getting the SS changed. That's critical. Now a days some states are demanding a SS card with your name on to get or renew your license.

Hmm - married my first husband in 1970 and never officially changed my name with SS. Married second husband in 1993 and again never told SS. Worked all those years. Started collecting last year and never had a problem (name changed with each marriage). Don't think I could find my original card (which I got when I was 15 and had my first job) if my life depended on it.

Archived