Tipping...your thoughts but be nice!

msstarr22

Do for me? Or do for their employer?

And perhaps you're not aware that in the buffet you are serving yourself, and you have forgone eating in the service dining room that you have already tipped for. Tips go for THREE service meals a day.

I asked the question in another thread that vanished but if I am tipping my waitstaff in the MDR and anyone can be serving me at breakfast and lunch how do they determine who gets the tips for those two meals? (and even in a land based buffet I will leave a couple of bucks for the person that buses the table.)

I asked the question in another thread that vanished but if I am tipping my waitstaff in the MDR and anyone can be serving me at breakfast and lunch how do they determine who gets the tips for those two meals?

It's a wash. Your tip still goes to your evening server that is serving others at the other two meals. The ones serving you at the other two meals are being "tipped" by those they serve in the evening.

And if you do the buffet, you may even see your evening servers up there.

Do for me? Or do for their employer?

And perhaps you're not aware that in the buffet you are serving yourself, and you have forgone eating in the service dining room that you have already tipped for. Tips go for THREE service meals a day.

Do you really not understand how the system works?

It's a wash. Your tip still goes to your evening server that is serving others at the other two meals. The ones serving you at the other two meals are being "tipped" by those they serve in the evening.

And if you do the buffet, you may even see your evening servers up there.

So I'm tipping your server? I really don't think that's how it works, but in any event if I leave everything alone then everyone that's supposed to get it does for whatever it is they are doing for whomever they are doing it for (my English teacher just rolled over in her grave).

Not only do I think the auto tips are a scam I beginning to feel the same way for the auto 15 % added to each beverage

I'm looking to get them removed and do what I feel is appropriate

enlighten us, how are auto tips a scam? also, do you not tip the bartender when you go to a bar and get a drink?

Personally, I don't give a rat's bottom who the auto tips go to. I'm on vacation, I pre pay the tips and forget about it. Whatever I can do to make my vacation more enjoyable, I do (and obsessing about who gets what, spending time splitting hairs, and chasing staff around the ship to tip in cash or remove tips, does NOT make my vacation more enjoyable).

Exactly! Too much like work the other way and when I'm on vacation I go out of my way to avoid work :eek:

Personally, I don't give a rat's bottom who the auto tips go to. I'm on vacation, I pre pay the tips and forget about it. Whatever I can do to make my vacation more enjoyable, I do (and obsessing about who gets what, spending time splitting hairs, and chasing staff around the ship to tip in cash or remove tips, does NOT make my vacation more enjoyable).

The auto tips, or surcharge, or whatever you want to call them is just another weird and wonderful part of the cruising experience. We just pay them and sometimes add extra tips for extra special service but I don't stalk the staff just to give them some extra cash - I've got better things to do with my time. Just like Tapi and most people, I just don't care how the auto tips get split up, and frankly I don't want to know. That's the business of the cruise line and their employees, it's not any of my business. It's just like I don't care how they make the propellers spin, just as long as they make them spin.

I have always found in life, what I give, I get back, regardless of what aspect it may be.

I have decided on my upcoming cruise, I will tip MORE than I ever have before, in addition to my auto tips.

Yes, these people have chosen this job, does that make them any less hardworking or deserving? No.

I can afford to cruise and go on vacation and everything else that goes with it, I can afford an extra $30 in tips for a five night cruise. If it makes someone else smile, then heck, we all win ;)

You are right on the money (so to speak) with this. Autotips are always prepaid. I'm on vacation so if I think someone is trying to make my vacation better I try to put a smile on their face, which in turn makes me feel better. If giving a little of my money away makes me feel better about myself, it's a small price to pay for a little happiness.

I was in the military and spent a lot of time overseas (12 out of 26 years). I know how expensive calls home can be, in my mind I'm just giving them a chance to talk to someone at home a little longer next time.

I feel sorry for all the flamers on these "tip" threads that see it as a "scam" or as "undeserved" and don't see the pleasure in making another human being happy. Just my opinion.

Here's a breakdown of how our tips are distributed:

$ 3.70 USD - Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.80 USD - Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 2.00 USD - Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.

Thank you Sharon, This is exactly what I was looking for. I now know that I drastically undertip those who serve me. I tip 20% in restaurants and I do that each meal. I can see where that is not on the auto tip. I will now know that as each waiter works my meal in the dining room I will need to tip a bit more. I was just worried as I do not see the same waitstaff member each dinner as I love the YTD.

Thank you Sharon, This is exactly what I was looking for. I now know that I drastically undertip those who serve me. I tip 20% in restaurants and I do that each meal. I can see where that is not on the auto tip. I will now know that as each waiter works my meal in the dining room I will need to tip a bit more. I was just worried as I do not see the same waitstaff member each dinner as I love the YTD.

With YTD, they will take your portfolio at each meal so the tip goes to your server.

Also, be aware that the total cost of your three daily meals is less than $10 a day. That's cost.

You're very welcome!

I have always found that those that work behind the scenes are the ones that work the hardest. So if my $2 or $11.50 or whatever is going to be spread amongst workers, the unseen at night cleaning up people's vomit from the hallways, dining rooms, and/or scrubbing public toilets are getting tips from there so be it. I sure am not going to be cleaning it and appreciate those that do.

I have always found that those that work behind the scenes are the ones that work the hardest. So if my $2 or $11.50 or whatever is going to be spread amongst workers, the unseen at night cleaning up people's vomit from the hallways, dining rooms, and/or scrubbing public toilets are getting tips from there so be it. I sure am not going to be cleaning it and appreciate those that do.

Always amazes me when people complain about others making too much doing a job they would never do. I absolutely agree with you.

Why do we care what the crew makes? I don't get it. Do we care what the guy who changes our oil makes? Or the girl who cashes our checks at the supermarket? I can't understand worrying about this. Pay auto tips and tip extra to folks as you want and enjoy your cruise!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

hihi

I have always just went with the tips Carnival has put on my S&S account. I tip my cabin person extra if they go they extra mile and 99% of the time they do. I get YTD so I rarely have the same waitstaff. My question is who else am I tipping. Am I tipping all the bar persons I never go to? Am I tipping others I do not even see?

I am sure that other inquiring minds would love to know!;)

hi---- THE TIPS--THAT ARE ADDED ON TO YOUR BILL--ARE DIVIDED--FOR EVERYONE WHO RUNS THE SHIP----INCLUDING THE COOKS,ETC--AND ALL----SO IF YOU EVER TAKE THE TIPS OFF----NO ONE GETS ANY MONEY----NOT NICE---AND YES--WE ALWAYS TIP EXTRA---TO THE DINING STAFF---AND OF COURSE THE CABIN STAFF---WHO WORK SO HARD TO KEEP THE CABINS NEAT AND CLEAN----THIS IS FROM--IRENE AND JOHN---58 CRUISERS ON CARNIVAL--

hihi

hi---- THE TIPS--THAT ARE ADDED ON TO YOUR BILL--ARE DIVIDED--FOR EVERYONE WHO RUNS THE SHIP----INCLUDING THE COOKS,ETC--AND ALL----SO IF YOU EVER TAKE THE TIPS OFF----NO ONE GETS ANY MONEY----NOT NICE---AND YES--WE ALWAYS TIP EXTRA---TO THE DINING STAFF---AND OF COURSE THE CABIN STAFF---WHO WORK SO HARD TO KEEP THE CABINS NEAT AND CLEAN----THIS IS FROM--IRENE AND JOHN---58 CRUISERS ON CARNIVAL--

And where--does--you fare--go?

I can't understand why this discussion always turns into a bonfire.... If you want to auto-tip, do so. If you want to tip solely in cash, do so. If you want to do a combination of both, by all means, go ahead and do so. Me, I like the auto-tip.....one less thing I have to deal with. If my service expectations are "met", then the auto-tip is sufficient. If my expectations are "exceeded", then I will disburse some extra cash at the end of the cruise. I don't particularly care what other people are doing; everyone has to do what's right by their standards.

Loxley,

Sounds like your son is what we call a Medic here in Charlotte. They are wonderful, do a wonderful job, and save lots of lives. At $8 an hour, he makes $40,000 a year. I know from friends that do this job, that they work hard when called, but enjoy relaxing in between calls after they have restocked their vehicles. Some nights they have two hours sleep and other times, alot more sleep. In between their 2 48 hour shifts each week, they get to go home, play with their kids, relax with their families, and socialize with their friends. People are grateful to them whenever they are needed-they get alot of respect. You seem to think that their life is so much harder than the ship's staff that are away from their families 6-10 months each time, that work irregular hours, that have people treatment rudely or as second class citizens(sadly, we have all seen that happen), they sleep 2 to 4 in a room for the 6-10 months. If I am blessed enough to be able to afford to cruise and I am, then the $12 a day in tips is minor and it is part of the cost and I pay it happily. I am a control freak and I admit it, but I do not need to control where that $2 for misc. workers goes each day. I tip extra when I think it is deserved. I have really never met any rude staff, other than the pushy photographers. I enjoy cruising and enjoy the crew. :D

I can't understand why this discussion always turns into a bonfire.... If you want to auto-tip, do so. If you want to tip solely in cash, do so. If you want to do a combination of both, by all means, go ahead and do so. Me, I like the auto-tip.....one less thing I have to deal with. If my service expectations are "met", then the auto-tip is sufficient. If my expectations are "exceeded", then I will disburse some extra cash at the end of the cruise. I don't particularly care what other people are doing; everyone has to do what's right by their standards.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I actually got in trouble on this board a few years ago b4 my first cruise about tipping. (I had not been on a cruise b4) now I do auto tip and I also go to the bank before I go and get 5s 10s and 50 singles, I tip 5 bucks a day for cabin steward, a buck a drink, and 10 for waiter. (we only eat at main dining 2-3 times a cruise) I would give more if I could..

Does it really matter? They deserve the tips. They work very long hours with very little break time. On our last cruise, every staff person we saw was smiling and friendly whether they were directly serving us or not. Do you really begrudge crew you don't even see a measly $2 a day? Those who clean the public restrooms are serving all the passengers. Even if you're someone who runs to your own cabin to use the restroom, keeping those public places clean benefits everyone. We use the auto tips and tip our cabin steward and his/her assistant, and our wait staff extra. We had soda cards on the last cruise and tipped bar staff when they filled our Carnival tumblers with Coke Zero. We knew they weren't getting the benefit of the tips they'd be getting had we purchased the drinks individually. We're not big spenders or wealthy, although by the crew's standards we are wealthy. We just appreciate being on the cruise and having everything taken care of for us by these smiling, friendly, hard workers most of whom are from countries with worse economies than ours. Not trying to be mean here, but when you look at how those tips are broken down, you'd pay a lot more to your waiter just going to a chain restaurant at home.

And where--does--you fare--go?

Fuel. The captain and his crew. The cruise directors, entertainers, shore excursion staff, etc. Yes, those we tip also earn some kind of salary, but it's not as much as these others.

Read "Cruise Confidential" by the only American ever to work as a waiter on a Carnival ship. It will open your eyes. Also, it's a fun read.

Archived