Dawn delayed departing Bermuda

FIRELT5

I'm happy to see that the Dawn made it safely through the night and is on her way back, although I hope she has a safe ride home, since they are basically following this storm up the coast. :( Breakaway is not looking like she's planning on docking today, and even the bermuda webcam is still looking quite a bit unsettled. Perhaps the Breakaway is spending an extra day at sea to wait out the storm before docking. Hope everyone is safe and sound. Usually the X summit is there along with Breakaway, and neither is there as of 920 EST.

It was announced yesterday that Breakaway wouldn't arrive until about noon today.

Celebrity Summit isn't due in Bermuda today...her Bermuda cruise season is over.

No cruise ship other than Breakaway is due in Bermuda today.

The dock master Willy in Bermuda just posted this on the FB page of the Port Bermuda webcam (these are all Bermuda times)

Hello everyone, it is a little damp today haha. The Norwegian Breakaway has Pilot scheduled for 1800 today which will put her dockside at about 1915.

If they're stuck in port, things will be fine.

Two years ago, I was on the Carnival Miracle when a Tropical Storm passed by Bermuda. We were docked at King's Wharf. It was about a 12 hour stretch from before daylight until mid to late afternoon. Winds hit 50 MPH at the worst time. There were no problems being docked. The cruise staff went quickly scheduled more inside onboard activities for the day.

Most people stayed on the ship, but some hearty souls went out and did some sightseeing. The bus system operated throughout the storm. By 5:00 PM, things cleared up and we were able to walk around the Dockyard.

The locals took it in stride. I talked to some in Hamilton the day before the storm and their attitude was that "we'll get some wind and rain, but everything will be fine." They have strict construction codes because of hurricanes and the lack of evacuation routes.

Archived