Are we bringing up a bunch of lazy rugrats?

Roy&Adrian

This kind of talk drives me nuts. A newbie cc'er may be planning their first cruise but just spent 3 weeks touring the Greek Islands. I will gladly take their advice. Just cause you cruised there doesn't mean you know it.

I don't disagree that someone that spent 3 weeks in a location knows more then a person one day on a cruise, but the person I was referring to hadn't been to the places she was giving recommendations for. It got discovered later when others started questioning her.

I agree with NMLady. I don't post my cruises to boast nor to help me remember. I do it so that if someone asks a question that I answer, they can look to see what experience I have with that ship or port. I look at others to see what lines, ships and ports they have been to so I can tell how much experience they have. Someone who has been to the Med 5 times probably knows more then the guy that was there only once.

Sure, some people lie. But that is their character. Two distinct posters come to mind. One poster was giving advice to people about the ship and ports and insinuating her vast knowledge (while discrediting others) and yet she had never been on a ship. The other that comes to mind was one where we were talking about Rome In Limo and the poster said "ya, I just love jumping in the back of that stretch limo".... umm stretch limo in Rome. They are sedans and vans. Clearly the guy had never used their service or been to Rome.

I was referring to your first paragraph mostly and I disagree because there are many people who are well traveled but new to cruising so the number of cruises just doesn't equal the most experienced to this cc'er.

Just curious why you post all your past & future cruise in the message???

Same reason others do, except I use # 1 font, :rolleyes: not # 2 or # 3, :eek: like some, :mad: and I don't post it on all posts. What do you do, forget where you've been, or don't care where you're going!!!!

Cato :)

The pizza delivery person is being paid and I would expect them to be professional and polite whether the money is coming from me directly or through my children. As a small business owner I can tell you that word does get back to owners when employees are not representing the company well.

I don't see anywhere anything was said about the delivery person not being professional or kind to the kids. But I can tell you that delivery people are paid by tips and the faster they can deliver the more they can make, and they work hard, use their own vehicles, most don't have insurance and taking their time with having children give them money was a complaint I read they had. I'll bet most Papa Johns know this is a common complaint amongst delivery drivers.

But I know if I needed money and I was working hard and mostly nights and I went to homes where people didn't have their money ready and when they did they handed each bill to their 2 year old and directed them to hand each bill to me (while I stood there in the cold in a hurry) one at a time, and then I was expected to hand the change back to the 2 year old, all the while smiling, I would believe that the adult could care less about being considerate to me as a delivery person working hard and that I have other customers waiting. (Run on sentence but oh well). I just hope those that take up extra time give a nice big fat tip, since it seems to be a common occurrence they lose money.

I don't see anywhere anything was said about the delivery person not being professional or kind to the kids. But I can tell you that delivery people are paid by tips and the faster they can deliver the more they can make, and they work hard, use their own vehicles, most don't have insurance and taking their time with having children give them money was a complaint I read they had. I'll bet most Papa Johns know this is a common complaint amongst delivery drivers.

But I know if I needed money and I was working hard and mostly nights and I went to homes where people didn't have their money ready and when they did they handed each bill to their 2 year old and directed them to hand each bill to me (while I stood there in the cold in a hurry) one at a time, and then I was expected to hand the change back to the 2 year old, all the while smiling, I would believe that the adult could care less about being considerate to me as a delivery person working hard and that I have other customers waiting. (Run on sentence but oh well). I just hope those that take up extra time give a nice big fat tip, since it seems to be a common occurrence they lose money.

Ok now back to cruising.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise. I hope it's not at a time when the kiddies are out of school.:eek:

Same reason others do' date=' except I use # 1 font, :rolleyes: not # 2 or # 3, :eek: like some, :mad: and I don't post it on all posts. What do you do, forget where you've been, or don't care where you're going!!!!

Cato :)[/quote']

Other's put them in their signature, not in the body of a post. You seem to be the exception to that practice. If you need to remember where you have been, a personal log might be more appropriate than cluttering up your posts with reminders to yourself.

Ok now back to cruising.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise. I hope it's not at a time when the kiddies are out of school.:eek:

It's not :) . Oh yeah I forgot for a moment that this is the entitled generation. Don't think of anyone else because it's all about "me". My mistake.

Other's put them in their signature, not in the body of a post. You seem to be the exception to that practice. If you need to remember where you have been, a personal log might be more appropriate than cluttering up your posts with reminders to yourself.

Those listing cruises never bother me. I don't get why it bothers others? Isn't it a trivial thing?

It's not :) . Oh yeah I forgot for a moment that this is the entitled generation. Don't think of anyone else because it's all about "me". My mistake.

Wow! Has it occurred to you that you are the one going over board. And NO ONE said anything about a toddler handing money to a delivery person, well except you. Common sense alone you would expect the child to actually know what money was before expecting them to understand how money works. Really? A two year old. Get over your example and move on - back to the cruise ship and a kid/teenager ordering a drink. NOT a toddler. Let it go.

Those listing cruises never bother me. I don't get why it bothers others? Isn't it a trivial thing?

Some of us read CC to gain knowledge or to share knowledge with others and not to read endless vanity lists. These lists clutter the pages and makes it more tedious to read the usable content of messages posted there. I have signatures turned off to avoid these lists, so go ahead and post them in your signature all you want - I won't have to wade past them if they are where they belong. But when someone includes their list in the body of their posts, what exactly are they trying to prove? Is bragging to everybody what cruises they have been on and will be taking in the future so important to them that they must circumvent the purpose of turning signatures off by placing their vanity list inside their posts so we are forced to see them?

Fortunately, there is the IGNORE feature for these people.

Some of us read CC to gain knowledge or to share knowledge with others and not to read endless vanity lists. These lists clutter the pages and makes it more tedious to read the usable content of messages posted there. I have signatures turned off to avoid these lists, so go ahead and post them in your signature all you want - I won't have to wade past them if they are where they belong. But when someone includes their list in the body of their posts, what exactly are they trying to prove? Is bragging to everybody what cruises they have been on and will be taking in the future so important to them that they must circumvent the purpose of turning signatures off by placing their vanity list inside their posts so we are forced to see them?

Fortunately, there is the IGNORE feature for these people.

...which is your option and offered by CC for just that reason. I think the number of people who place their signature inside their post is quite small - in fact in my experience that has only been once. The option you've chosen is your avenue to avoid them which should be 100% effective otherwise.

The choice you also mention to just scroll past those posts with signatures in them and ignoring them is the other.

Given these options I just wouldn't let it bother me....:)

...which is your option and offered by CC for just that reason. I think the number of people who place their signature inside their post is quite small - in fact in my experience that has only been once. The option you've chosen is your avenue to avoid them which should be 100% effective otherwise.

The choice you also mention to just scroll past those posts with signatures in them and ignoring them is the other.

Given these options I just wouldn't let it bother me....:)

You are exactly right. CC provides very effective options. I thank the designers for that.

Still, this is just another of a growing list of things we are forced to "put up with" by people who subscribe to the Facebook mentality of thinking that everyone in the world needs to be informed about every little detail of one's life. For example, my own brother posts photos of his meals when he dines out, as if he thinks the world is waiting with bated breath to discover his latest gastronomical adventure. :( Other people post every cruise they have been on, and every future cruise they have planned. It's a form of narcissism.

I guess for some people their life is not complete unless they are certain the maximum number of people are aware of it. :D

You are exactly right. CC provides very effective options. I thank the designers for that.

Still, this is just another of a growing list of things we are forced to "put up with" by people who subscribe to the Facebook mentality of thinking that everyone in the world needs to be informed about every little detail of one's life. For example, my own brother posts photos of his meals when he dines out, as if he thinks the world is waiting with bated breath to discover his latest gastronomical adventure. :( Other people post every cruise they have been on, and every future cruise they have planned. It's a form of narcissism.

I guess for some people their life is not complete unless they are certain the maximum number of people are aware of it. :D

It would be better IMHO to have to click to see someone's list rather than it popping up on every post. That way the Signatures on or off wouldn't be needed. If you want to see someone's cruise list you can just click and view it.

It would be better IMHO to have to click to see someone's list rather than it popping up on every post. That way the Signatures on or off wouldn't be needed. If you want to see someone's cruise list you can just click and view it.

That is the beauty of turning off the signatures. They no longer clutter up the page, and if a person wants to view an individual member's signature, simply click on the member's name at the top left of the posting and then click on View Public Profile.

And for those who try to circumvent the "signature off" feature by including them in the body of the posting - I have run across two of these people in just the last couple of days - there is always the "Ignore" feature to block the member and whatever they have to say, including their list.

That is the beauty of turning off the signatures. They no longer clutter up the page, and if a person wants to view an individual member's signature, simply click on the member's name at the top left of the posting and then click on View Public Profile.

And for those who try to circumvent the "signature off" feature by including them in the body of the posting - I have run across two of these people in just the last couple of days - there is always the "Ignore" feature to block the member and whatever they have to say, including their list.

So this can shorten the posts and therefore we would get more posts per page? Some people's signature are long and an eyesore and they post 5 times on the same page. Sounds good I'll give it a try. Thanks.

So this can shorten the posts and therefore we would get more posts per page? Some people's signature are long and an eyesore and they post 5 times on the same page. Sounds good I'll give it a try. Thanks.

You will still get the same number of posts on a page, only they will be shorter and you won't have to scroll down as much. There is a setting, however, where you can pick how many posts you want displayed on each page, either 10, 20, 30, 40 or 200. I have mine set at 40, while the default is 20. It is under EDIT OPTIONS on your CONTROL PANEL page. You can get to it by clicking on the "User CP" pull down menu at the top left of this page directly under the CruiseCritic logo.

As for the lists, to me they are the equivalent of being interrupted by annoying commercials while watching TV. Fortunately, I make full use of my DVR to fast forward past all the commercials and quickly get back to what I am interested in - the program I am watching. The Turn Signatures Off feature provides a similar function on these threads.

Wow I never knew there were people who were worried about "clutter" on an Internet forum. Sorry if my signature offends anyone, but I'm a narcissist and want you to know where I've sailed! :)

The lists don't offend me. They annoy me. That is a subtle, but important, difference.

And why shouldn't we "worry" about clutter on an internet forum? There is nothing beneficial to clutter, no matter where it is found. Why would you want to defend it? :confused:

The lists don't offend me. They annoy me. That is a subtle, but important, difference.

And why shouldn't we "worry" about clutter on an internet forum? There is nothing beneficial to clutter, no matter where it is found. Why would you want to defend it? :confused:

Well because I assume those who have lists in their sig. Do not see it as clutter.

You will still get the same number of posts on a page, only they will be shorter and you won't have to scroll down as much. There is a setting, however, where you can pick how many posts you want displayed on each page, either 10, 20, 30, 40 or 200. I have mine set at 40, while the default is 20. It is under EDIT OPTIONS on your CONTROL PANEL page. You can get to it by clicking on the "User CP" pull down menu at the top left of this page directly under the CruiseCritic logo.

As for the lists, to me they are the equivalent of being interrupted by annoying commercials while watching TV. Fortunately, I make full use of my DVR to fast forward past all the commercials and quickly get back to what I am interested in - the program I am watching. The Turn Signatures Off feature provides a similar function on these threads.

Thanks so much for the helpful information. I agree 100% with your last paragraph for what it's worth!

Did we get away from the original subject' date=' to discus the clutter of cruise lists??????????????? :eek:

Cato :)

No Cruise Listing :D[/quote']

Actually with more than a day without a post this thread seemed as if it had reached its inevitable end.;)

Archived