Are we bringing up a bunch of lazy rugrats?

Roy&Adrian

In the US and Canada, minors are not allowed to be in a bar area. It doesn't matter if they're just getting a glass of water. So, how were they supposed to get a drink without approaching the bar or talking to a waiter???

Kids can be in a bar area....depending what kind of bar area you are speaking of. On a cruise ship bars are the only place to get drinks for the most part. I've seen kids approach a bar and order sodas/water/ specialty drinks with a group of friends.... On land they have bars inside restaurants where they would be supervised by an adult who maybe waiting for a table and getting a drink.

Sorry folks,

It was meant to be a little tongue in cheek and not to be taken too seriously.

But if I was a kid on a cruise (with free drinks, ice cream, cookies etc - I had my first cruise when I was 43) I wouldn't be waiting for the staff to bring me stuff, I'd go and get it my self.

And being British, I still tend to go to the bar to get a drink rather than wait at a table to be served. On this occassion, the sun was beating down, the floor was hot and I'm bald.

Thanks for your thoughts, though

Roy

Thanks for responding and clarifying. BTW - in the US at least - most Celebrity / RCI ships sail full.

In the US and Canada, minors are not allowed to be in a bar area. It doesn't matter if they're just getting a glass of water. So, how were they supposed to get a drink without approaching the bar or talking to a waiter???

It is not the same on a ship

Kids can be in a bar area....depending what kind of bar area you are speaking of. On a cruise ship bars are the only place to get drinks for the most part. I've seen kids approach a bar and order sodas/water/ specialty drinks with a group of friends.... On land they have bars inside restaurants where they would be supervised by an adult who maybe waiting for a table and getting a drink.

Kids definitely can go to the bars to get non-alcoholic drinks while on cruise ships. Some of the kids get virgin pina coladas and the like.

Sorry folks,

It was meant to be a little tongue in cheek and not to be taken too seriously.

But if I was a kid on a cruise (with free drinks, ice cream, cookies etc - I had my first cruise when I was 43) I wouldn't be waiting for the staff to bring me stuff, I'd go and get it my self.

And being British, I still tend to go to the bar to get a drink rather than wait at a table to be served. On this occassion, the sun was beating down, the floor was hot and I'm bald.

Thanks for your thoughts, though

Roy

Kids love signing for their drinks. It makes them feel grown-up. Kind of cute if you ask me.:)

I can't see where kid's signing for their drinks is cute, just like when people give money to their kids to pay the pizza delivery guy/girl. It's not cute, they have work to do and are on a time limit. Having said that I don't see a problem with kids ordering drinks from a server just as if they were an adult and the drinks are getting paid for by the parents card. I am sure lots of kids think/know that is how they are supposed to get a drink.

I can't see where kid's signing for their drinks is cute, just like when people give money to their kids to pay the pizza delivery guy/girl. It's not cute, they have work to do and are on a time limit. Having said that I don't see a problem with kids ordering drinks from a server just as if they were an adult and the drinks are getting paid for by the parents card. I am sure lots of kids think/know that is how they are supposed to get a drink.

Teaching a kid that pizza needs to paid for and doesn't just show up because it's Friday, ya what are those parents thinking!:rolleyes:

Does it take that much longer for a kid to sign a receipt than an adult?

Just curious why you post all your past & future cruise in the message???

Most people put them in their signature box

it appears many people use this forum as a pissing contest so they can tell the world how many cruises they have done..........

.. ...... others also use the forum as a pissing contest that involves how much above and beyond the auto tip they have handed to waiters.......

it appears many people use this forum as a pissing contest so they can tell the world how many cruises they have done..........

.. ...... others also use the forum as a pissing contest that involves how much above and beyond the auto tip they have handed to waiters.......

Most of us who list our cruises do so, not as a pissing contest, but so when we answer a question the newbies and others who don't turn off signatures know that we speak from experience.

Most of us who list our cruises do so, not as a pissing contest, but so when we answer a question the newbies and others who don't turn off signatures know that we speak from experience.

Fair play but there are still plenty who appear to use the forum as a pissing contest just my observation.

Teaching a kid that pizza needs to paid for and doesn't just show up because it's Friday, ya what are those parents thinking!:rolleyes:

Yes because showing them that you have to pay or telling them isn't enough :rolleyes:. Ask any delivery person if they appreciate people letting their kids pay when they are on a time schedule. It's one of their biggest complaints...check it out. This is not a teaching time and it's not cute.

How do you know the real reason why "most" ccer's who list there cruises do that? I can think of a few other reasons including remembering past cruises and dates, bragging and letting others know your previous experiences. My number one reason personally would be to remember the ships, date and destinations because I am finding that they begin to run together.

I'll bet most 'CC'ers' probably do list all their cruises to show off, not to qualify their contributions...if it was really as a memory jogger you'd do it in a journal or diary or better yet, an atlas with all the points of call marked.

We always allowed our children to order from waiters and staff - done correctly and politely there is no issue, I have however, seen both adults and children order in a rude and discourteous manner for which there is absolutely no excuse.

I also have seen people(adult and child) who should have got off their humongous behinds and fetched their own drinks (preferably from bars two or three decks away - for the exercise! ).....all the waiters are in their case are feeders...

Listing cruises proves nothing. I can easily list dozens of cruises I have never taken if I wanted to give the impression I was an "expert". I've had the signatures turned off for a long time, and no longer have to endure lengthy pages because of posts containing them. I have never felt a need to look over someone's "resume" to determine if I can trust their comment or not. These signatures are too easily exaggerated with imaginary cruises. Before I turned them off, when I saw a lengthy list of past and future cruises I would instantly question the poster's credibility for appearing to be a showoff.

A huge waste of space mostly used for the purpose of boasting.

Listing cruises proves nothing. I can easily list dozens of cruises I have never taken if I wanted to give the impression I was an "expert". I've had the signatures turned off for a long time, and no longer have to endure lengthy pages because of posts containing them. I have never felt a need to look over someone's "resume" to determine if I can trust their comment or not. These signatures are too easily exaggerated with imaginary cruises. Before I turned them off, when I saw a lengthy list of past and future cruises I would instantly question the poster's credibility for appearing to be a showoff.

A huge waste of space mostly used for the purpose of boasting.

I agree with NMLady. I don't post my cruises to boast nor to help me remember. I do it so that if someone asks a question that I answer, they can look to see what experience I have with that ship or port. I look at others to see what lines, ships and ports they have been to so I can tell how much experience they have. Someone who has been to the Med 5 times probably knows more then the guy that was there only once.

Sure, some people lie. But that is their character. Two distinct posters come to mind. One poster was giving advice to people about the ship and ports and insinuating her vast knowledge (while discrediting others) and yet she had never been on a ship. The other that comes to mind was one where we were talking about Rome In Limo and the poster said "ya, I just love jumping in the back of that stretch limo".... umm stretch limo in Rome. They are sedans and vans. Clearly the guy had never used their service or been to Rome.

Yes because showing them that you have to pay or telling them isn't enough :rolleyes:. Ask any delivery person if they appreciate people letting their kids pay when they are on a time schedule. It's one of their biggest complaints...check it out. This is not a teaching time and it's not cute.

It took way less of the delivery persons time when I went to my purse counted out the money with my child, left it on the table in the foyer, them eagerly running for the door when the doorbell rang, me opening the door and my child gathering the money and giving it to the delivery person then the times when I was single and would open the door, grab my purse and get out the money or have to pay with my credit card and sign.

It is teaching time and it is cute and it doesn't take more time. Any time can be teaching time and although it may take more effort on the part of the parent in the long run it is worth it.

I really hope that I am being duped by you.:eek:

I agree with NMLady. I don't post my cruises to boast nor to help me remember. I do it so that if someone asks a question that I answer, they can look to see what experience I have with that ship or port. I look at others to see what lines, ships and ports they have been to so I can tell how much experience they have. Someone who has been to the Med 5 times probably knows more then the guy that was there only once.

I also have signatures turned off - thankfully! If I want to see if the person can back up a comment with a cruise that supports it - which I never have had the need to do yet - I can simply look up that individual poster's signature to get that "Oh, he lists that he has been on that ship/cruise 5 times, so he absolutely must be believed. What a relief!" feeling. :D

Sure, some people lie. But that is their character. Two distinct posters come to mind. One poster was giving advice to people about the ship and ports and insinuating her vast knowledge (while discrediting others) and yet she had never been on a ship. The other that comes to mind was one where we were talking about Rome In Limo and the poster said "ya, I just love jumping in the back of that stretch limo".... umm stretch limo in Rome. They are sedans and vans. Clearly the guy had never used their service or been to Rome.

This kind of talk drives me nuts. A newbie cc'er may be planning their first cruise but just spent 3 weeks touring the Greek Islands. I will gladly take their advice. Just cause you cruised there doesn't mean you know it.

I'll bet most 'CC'ers' probably do list all their cruises to show off, not to qualify their contributions...if it was really as a memory jogger you'd do it in a journal or diary or better yet, an atlas with all the points of call marked.

We always allowed our children to order from waiters and staff - done correctly and politely there is no issue, I have however, seen both adults and children order in a rude and discourteous manner for which there is absolutely no excuse.

I also have seen people(adult and child) who should have got off their humongous behinds and fetched their own drinks (preferably from bars two or three decks away - for the exercise! ).....all the waiters are in their case are feeders...

And I've seen and read rude people who think they are the be all that ends all and everyone should do how they say it should be done. That's far worse than a lazy fat person. A self entitled, judgmental person.

Does it take that much longer for a kid to sign a receipt than an adult?

Perhaps my last line wasn't clear, I stated I think kids think and KNOW that on a cruise that is the way to get a drink. It's the right way. One of the RIGHT ways. As long as they are polite, like every adult should be also, for me there is nothing wrong with them ordering what they'd like from a server.

Misunderstanding there I think.

It took way less of the delivery persons time when I went to my purse counted out the money with my child, left it on the table in the foyer, them eagerly running for the door when the doorbell rang, me opening the door and my child gathering the money and giving it to the delivery person then the times when I was single and would open the door, grab my purse and get out the money or have to pay with my credit card and sign.

It is teaching time and it is cute and it doesn't take more time. Any time can be teaching time and although it may take more effort on the part of the parent in the long run it is worth it.

I really hope that I am being duped by you.:eek:

In your case perhaps it's different because you actually plan for the delivery and it's quick. Evidently most people don't do it this way because I read this on a forum for pizza deliverers (when researching the service charge). It is one of their biggest pet peeves, perhaps because most don't have the money waiting as you stated you do. I understand you find it cute because it's your children. One should always think of their kids as cute because you love them but also recognize that not everyone feels the same. Heck, when I was kid my mom and myself when to a new neighbors to welcome them and the lady made it clear my mom was welcome to come back but not to bring kids, my mom never went back. Mom's are supposed to love their kids.

In your case perhaps it's different because you actually plan for the delivery and it's quick. Evidently most people don't do it this way because I read this on a forum for pizza deliverers (when researching the service charge). It is one of their biggest pet peeves, perhaps because most don't have the money waiting as you stated you do. I understand you find it cute because it's your children. One should always think of their kids as cute because you love them but also recognize that not everyone feels the same. Heck, when I was kid my mom and myself when to a new neighbors to welcome them and the lady made it clear my mom was welcome to come back but not to bring kids, my mom never went back. Mom's are supposed to love their kids.

I agree that mothers are supposed to love their children, but that doesn't mean that others also need to love them. Some homes are not set up for children.

The pizza delivery person is being paid and I would expect them to be professional and polite whether the money is coming from me directly or through my children. As a small business owner I can tell you that word does get back to owners when employees are not representing the company well.

Just curious why you post all your past & future cruise in the message???

Most people put them in their signature box

\

They put them there so you can't turn them off like you can if it's in the signature.

I don't mind past cruises unless it's one of these lengthy ones. Wish we could turn off individual signatures like we can put individuals on an ignore list.

Archived