First Time Cruising out of LA

cruise&travelgirl

My husband loves history so he will be all over the USS Iowa too! We've never been to Hawaii so will definitely be going to Pear Harbor too.

I didn't even realize you can fly into Long Beach so will be comparing the flights there too. :)

With so many things to do before you sail maybe you'll need more than 1 day before embarkation? ;)

We've easily used The Bus ($2.50/pp/ow) to get to Pearl Harbor. You can pre-reserve tender tickets to the USS Arizona on the US Parks Service website for $1.50. Next to the Arizona is the Missouri...bookends to the start & end of America's involvement in WWII. If you haven't gone to the CC Hawaii board there is a lot of great info there.

One thing to consider about the smaller more convenient LGB is there are fewer flight options & if a flight gets cancelled there are fewer options for another flight.

We have stayed on Queen Mary a couple times and absolutely loved it. It's not for everyone, many people don't like vintage and want modern conveniences and that brand new feeling. There are other dining venues other than Winston's, look at http://www.queenmary.com.

There are tours to take, or just strolling the ship is interesting. No need to go any further than right onboard for the night prior and the morning of a cruise.

Even if we are boarding a ship on a Sunday, we'll go to Queen Mary for Sunday Brunch. We prefer to be late boarders on cruises, avoiding the wait sitting in a terminal, or a long line waiting to check in. Usually by 1:30-2:00 you can board a ship from parking lot to gangway in 10-15 minutes.

We usually ask for a AAA (CAA) rate and it knocks off a few bucks.

Have you looked at any flights in/out of Long Beach instead of LA?

We've never stayed on the Queen Mary, we usually stay down at the Maya (their restaurant is way overpriced), but always walk down to the Queen Mary for dinner the night before the cruise and hang at their vintage bar on board, very cool!

• 3 weeks later...

I concur with those recommending either the Crowne Plaza or the Doubletree in San Pedro. Also, if you come a day early, you might want to take a sightseeing tour of L.A. and Hollywood. Sunseeker Tours picks up at both hotels as well as at the cruise terminals. A very fun and efficient way to see a lot in a little time.

I agree 100% with "slomotion." Fly in the day before and stay overnight at the port. While the actual transfer time can be 40 minutes, with the 405 and 110 (highways between LAX and San Pedro), you never know. I was on the 405 last Saturday, there was an accident (there often is) and it took me 45 minutes to go three miles. There's no such thing as "off peak" when it comes to LA traffic. Maybe at 2am. :) If you fly in embarkation day, unless your flight arrives at LAX well before noon, the stress isn't going to be worth it.

If it were me, I'd book either Super Shuttle or Prime Time Shuttle to the hotel. Unless you can book a specific shuttle time, I'd just take a taxi to the terminal. You'll be maybe five minutes away. Otherwise, you may wait in line for ages for a free shuttle.

There are inexpensive restaurants near the Crowne Plaza. There's a Mexican restaurant a block or so away and a few blocks away is Grinders, which I like. It's like IHOP but much better.

What's the name of the Mexican restaurant?

Archived