HAL's BEER CONFISCATION

blignop

I have no doubt that Bruce Muzz is correct in his comments about why alcohol is confiscated.

Not sure what the big issue is. The policy is clear. The choice belongs to the customer. If you do not like a policy on a particular cruise line then simply go somewhere else or select an alternate type of vacation. It is really not that difficult to vote with your feet and with your wallet. But, I am somewhat biased because we do not drink enough beer or hard liquor to make it worthwhile to bring it onboard. I would not take it into my local restaurant as I might do with a bottle of wine and pay the corkage fee.

I always find Bruce Muzz explanations very enlightening!! I never would have guessed it was a legal issue, as one doesn't think of HAL as a party line. But, if people are bringing on cases of wine, it could happen. I certainly wouldn't want to be kept up all night by partiers!! I'm always glad when we have older people as our neighbors.

HAL is getting ready for the new policy. On Prinsendam, we were checked each time we boarded, and had our wine unwrapped. They are just doing their job.

I'm with you on this one. Seems very petty and cheapens the experience.

I enjoyed being able to bring a beer or two in my backpack on the Ryndam last year in Europe. They were very fair about it and I never brought back more than a couple.

This isn't about smuggling on some lousy cheap beer, but trying new brews from various ports not sold on the ship.

Something the wine lovers are also upset about!

Not the same thing. Wine lovers are upset because the policy has been changed. The beer and spirits prohibition has been in existence for years. Not always enforced, but nonetheless in existence. To complain that HAL is being unfair for enforcing its policy is ridiculous. It's like blaming the IRS when it finally catches on to someone's erroneous deductions.

I always find Bruce Muzz explanations very enlightening!! I never would have guessed it was a legal issue, as one doesn't think of HAL as a party line. But, if people are bringing on cases of wine, it could happen. I certainly wouldn't want to be kept up all night by partiers!! I'm always glad when we have older people as our neighbors.

HAL is getting ready for the new policy. On Prinsendam, we were checked each time we boarded, and had our wine unwrapped. They are just doing their job.

As long as they didn't uncork it!;)

I assume it is similar to going through security at the airport only instead of looking for explosives or weapons, they are looking for alcohol? :D
Exactly. Empty your pockets of metal and put your carry-ons through the scanner. Bottles will be seen and "called out" to a steward sitting at a table who will take it for storage until disembarkation day. Until Jan 31 they are looking for just beer and hard liquor, and after that date it will be for wine too.

BTW, HAL is looking for explosives and weapons too! :D

Edited by catl331

Exactly. Empty your pockets of metal and put your carry-ons through the scanner. Bottles will be seen and "called out" to a steward sitting at a table who will take it for storage until disembarkation day. Until Jan 31 they are looking for just beer and hard liquor, and after that date it will be for wine too.

BTW, HAL is looking for explosives and weapons too! :D

Ah, so if DH finds a specialty beer he wants to take home, they will confiscate it and let him have it back when we disembark? Good to know.

Ah, so if DH finds a specialty beer he wants to take home, they will confiscate it and let him have it back when we disembark? Good to know.
Yes, and you can also buy as much hard liquor as you like to take home too. Here's a tip: if you buy liquor at the last port before the end of the cruise it will often not be taken and held. We've done that for tequila in Mexico, rum in the Caribbean, and limoncello in Naples. ;)

At least that's the way it used to be, but now that they seem to be "cracking down" a bit, who knows.

Edited by catl331

WIne is acceptable - through Jan 31, 2014 only!

On the beer issue - while I agree that one beer is not a big deal, not enough to worry about, you have to consider that the problem arises when they let you take one on, the next person in line sees that and brings on two, the next a 6 pack, etc - where do you draw the line. Having run retail stores for a living, the best approach is just to follow the rules, otherwise things can get out of control.