Need Advice - Antarctica

Joc123

First may I say, I know and adhere to the dress code, but I do need some advice. We are on the 1st trip to Antarctica in November and have been told there will be 3 Formal nights. DH usually wears a dark suit and I prefer a cocktail dress with open toe heels. My question is, do you think I will need something warmer, or will the inside of the ship be so warm you wouldn't know it was freezing outside? I hope someone who has done the Greenland/Iceland cruise will be able to give some advice.

I have visited these places but on another cruise ship.

You will find inside the ship to be pretty much what it normally is regardless of where you are sailing so I would no worry about that.

Outside is a different story and I highly recommend bringing lots of clothing that you can layer including hat, gloves, scarf, waterproof jacket such as North Face, fleece or sweatshirt or sweater and sometimes two of those three would be better, waterproof pants and pants underneath them, wool socks and even long johns.

Again, inside don't worry. Dress as you normally would.

Keith

My advice, based on sailing to Antarctica on Lindblad’s National Geographic Endeavor, is to spend as little time as possible in the dining room.

I am a big fan of Seabourn. Normally, the evening meal on Seabourn is one of my favorite parts of the cruise and we prefer slow service and dressy evenings. For me, Antarctica is a different opportunity. Because I thought at the time it would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity (since confirmed because my wife is clear that she will never sail across the Drake Passage again) and because it never gets very dark, I wanted to maximize my time viewing the magnificent scenery as the ship cruised all night. Some of our most exciting encounters (views of Emperor penguins) happened late in the evening and some of my best photos were at midnight or later. I went to meals only to increase my “natural insulation.” (I over-achieved on this.) I also refrained from maximizing my intake of wine as I normally do on Seabourn as it produced the strange affect of causing the spectacular scenery to look like an Impressionist painting.

For us, Antarctica was all about experiencing the place in as profound & intense a way as we could. Antarctica in the summer is a 24 hr./day experience, not just something you do during the daytime landings. I also didn’t spend much time in our suite. (I think they called it a cabin.) The downside is that I did very little sleeping.

Also, I think tuxedos should be limited to the penguins. They look much better in them than I do.

I recognize normal people may not be as extreme about the Antarctic environment as I am. I am sure you will have a great experience no matter what you wear.

My advice, based on sailing to Antarctica on Lindblad’s National Geographic Endeavor, is to spend as little time as possible in the dining room.

I am a big fan of Seabourn. Normally, the evening meal on Seabourn is one of my favorite parts of the cruise and we prefer slow service and dressy evenings. For me, Antarctica is a different opportunity. Because I thought at the time it would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity (since confirmed because my wife is clear that she will never sail across the Drake Passage again) and because it never gets very dark, I wanted to maximize my time viewing the magnificent scenery as the ship cruised all night. Some of our most exciting encounters (views of Emperor penguins) happened late in the evening and some of my best photos were at midnight or later. I went to meals only to increase my “natural insulation.” (I over-achieved on this.) I also refrained from maximizing my intake of wine as I normally do on Seabourn as it produced the strange affect of causing the spectacular scenery to look like an Impressionist painting.

For us, Antarctica was all about experiencing the place in as profound & intense a way as we could. Antarctica in the summer is a 24 hr./day experience, not just something you do during the daytime landings. I also didn’t spend much time in our suite. (I think they called it a cabin.) The downside is that I did very little sleeping.

Also, I think tuxedos should be limited to the penguins. They look much better in them than I do.

I recognize normal people may not be as extreme about the Antarctic environment as I am. I am sure you will have a great experience no matter what you wear.

Like your logic :)

Archived