hyatt house - el segundo

theduck57

Since I'm a local I've never stayed there. Map websites like Google Maps are a wealth of info: http://maps.google.com You can see what shops/restaurants are nearby, use Street View to see if the area is good or sketchy, etc. (Hyatt El Segundo is good on both, since you don't have a car).

It's 16 miles to the cruise docks...in LA, we think in terms of time and not distance. If there's no traffic it's 20 minutes, probably 45 minutes at rush hour. A guess on my part- cab fare should be $50-$70. You could use Super Shuttle or Prime Time if you don't mind a shared van service. If you're really on a budget and Hyatt has a free airport shuttle, you could take it back to LAX...then grab SS or PT from there. The flat rate from LAX to the cruise port is about $17 per person excluding tip.

You are likely not going to find many people who have stayed at that hotel as most people stay in say Beverly Hills, Long Beach and San Pedro among other places. I am actually familiar with El Segundo has we have relatives there but have not stayed at that property.

You may want to read reviews on TripAdvisor.

It would not have been my location with respect to the town to stay but I figured you've done the research based on what you have planned.

Keith

has anyone stayed there. how far to san pedro port ? how much for taxi for 2 or shuttle from hotel ?

The Duck

As others have said, not a good location to stay at for ANYTHING.

Best bet might be to take a cab to Marina Del Rey, stay at the Marriott, use that as a tour base, and then cab down to San Pedro or cab back to LAX and shuttle down to San Pedro with Super Shuttle or Primetime.

A person in our group is doing just that (almost! They are touring one day(tour bus), then renting a car and driving around and dropping the car at the Long Beach airport and taking a cab to a San Pedro hotel.

It would certainly not be my choice. El Segundo is best known for its oil refinery and oil tank storage farms, and as the beach that LAX airplane take off over (very noisily). What is it that you plan to do in LA on this pre-cruise trip?? Are you already set up with tours or are you planning to rent a car?? If you must stay on the coast near to LAX, I would opt instead for Santa Monica, or even Redondo or Manhattan Beach rather than El Segundo. This location is getting into a sketchy part of town as well (next to Hawthorne) and has nothing to offer in that area other than perhaps cheap lodging.

Have to both agree and disagree with other posts.

Other locales around LA are closer to tourist attractions and in neighborhoods with more "character". Your hotel is cookie-cutter LA strip malls, streets, and office parks (which the hotel is located to support). I wouldn't recommend anything in the general area called "South Bay" without a rental car. No matter where you stay it's a good idea for a 3-day stay. Otherwise you will spend your valuable vacation time aboard public transit, which is better than 10 years ago but a far cry from any other major city in the world. LA was the world's first city where the major growth was based on the car...everything is planned around the auto. You're at a major disadvantage without a car and need to locate with that in mind.

OTOH, the area the Hyatt is in is fine (parts of El Segundo are not OK). Hyatt is far from the airport congestion and noise, a shopping center with a good mix of restaurants is adjacent, and the area has offices and residential.

I'd base the decision on whether or not you will rent a car.

If you won't have a car, I would strongly recommend Santa Monica--the area near the Santa Monica Pier, Third Street Promenade and Palisades Park...This puts you within easy walking distance of LOTS to see and do and lots of restaurants and nightlife...and it gives you close access to the HOHO bus line...and most tour companies will pick up at the hotels in this area...it is a short ride to the Venice Boardwalk (and you can even take public transportation to get there and back on the Santa Monica Big Blue Bus)...you would also be a short ride from the two Getty Museums...plus, it's a beautiful part of town with great weather...

As mentioned earlier, Marina del Rey/Venice Beach is not a bad choice either, though you would be off the HOHO route, but prices a bit more reasonable...Both locations are a bit more "central to attractions" than El Segundo...

El Segundo, BTW, is not only dominated by the oil refinery, it was actually named after it...El Segundo" is Spanish for "the Second"--so named because it was Chevron Oil's second oil refinery, the first being in Richmond, in Northern California...

were staying here because It is a central location for our 2 day pre cruise touring la

My next question: where were you planning to go that El Segundo would be a "central location"? I think if you mention the locations you wish to see and how you're going to get there (are you booking a tour? are you renting a car?), the locals here can better advise you.

The Duck

As others have said, not a good location to stay at for ANYTHING.

Best bet might be to take a cab to Marina Del Rey, stay at the Marriott, use that as a tour base, and then cab down to San Pedro or cab back to LAX and shuttle down to San Pedro with Super Shuttle or Primetime.

A person in our group is doing just that (almost! They are touring one day(tour bus), then renting a car and driving around and dropping the car at the Long Beach airport and taking a cab to a San Pedro hotel.

If the OP does rent a car, I would think it's better to see about an one-way (with drop off) or get a cab to the hotel and rent a car around there. It seems like it would be a pain to have to go back to LAX for just to get a shuttle. The OP could consider staying by the port at a hotel that has a free shuttle to the port. Or if renting a car, return it close to the hotel and taking a taxi (if not staying at the Doubletree or Crowne Plaza in San Pedro) to the port, or getting the Super shuttle (which meant end up being an exclusive ride) from the hotel. They do pick ups at other locations besides the airport and port. There's also tons of other transportation companies in Southern California that will pick you up at pretty much any location and take you to another location.

Thank you everyone for the info> i think you talked me out of staying here.i was going to rent a car and drive to the beaches one day, then tour hollywood, beverly hills, etc the next day,then drive down to long beach and turn the car in.is there anywhere to rent a car near the port ? .i am thinking about crowne plaza, but isnt it from the places i want to see ?

Thank you everyone for the info> i think you talked me out of staying here.i was going to rent a car and drive to the beaches one day, then tour hollywood, beverly hills, etc the next day,then drive down to long beach and turn the car in.is there anywhere to rent a car near the port ? .i am thinking about crowne plaza, but isnt it from the places i want to see ?

With, what, two nights? Or three?

Yes, San Pedro IS a bit far from Hollywood and Beverly Hills...but El Segundo isn't that close either...

You really need to figure out exactly how much time you have to tour...That makes a big difference in where to stay and what to do...

Figure that, depending on when your flight arrives (I am assuming this is a pre-cruise, correct?), you may not have much time to do much that first day...and the day your cruise embarks, you may not want to cram in much before heading down to the ship...

If you do rent a car, you obviously have a bit more freedom...I believe Enterprise has a car rental office at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro...but, beware, their hours are a bit inconvenient...For other car rental companies, you need to rent at LAX, Torrance or Long Beach...and then need transportation to the pier...

Say you have three nights, then you'll have at least two full days to tour--and for that, I would not stay in San Pedro. If Santa Monica or Beverly Hills is pricey for you, then there are some cheaper alternatives closer and better situated than El Segundo...North of the Airport, there is a group of reasonable hotels in Culver City--notably, the Doubletree, Four Points, Courtyard and Extended Stay America which are in a pleasant location with some restaurants, shopping, movies nearby...and, with a car, a fairly easy ride on the 90 Freeway to Marina Del Rey/Venice Beach...you can cut over to La Cienega and take it straight up to West Hollywood/Sunset Strip...

Also, with a car, you might consider someplace like the Crowne Plaza Beverly Hills on Pico (not as expensive as it implies) or the Luxe or Angeleno (off the 405 right near the Getty Center)...which puts you very close to Beverly Hills and Hollywood ...

we have 2 nights on a pre-cruise. arrive lax at 11 am. we were looking at the comfort inn and Travelodge in santa monica. both have reasonable senior rates of $116 night, travelogue is rated high on trip advisor, are you familiar with either?

we have 2 nights on a pre-cruise. arrive lax at 11 am. we were looking at the comfort inn and Travelodge in santa monica. both have reasonable senior rates of $116 night, travelogue is rated high on trip advisor, are you familiar with either?

The Comfort Inn is all the way up at Santa Moinica Blvd and Harvard/Yale...not the tourist area of Santa Monica...It's sort of there to service the hospitals and nearby industrial area...the area is okay, but not very attractive...but, with a rental car and only using it as a "base", it's okay...Santa Monica Blvd. is a rather busy commercial thoroughfare...Most of the nicer restaurants and shops in that part of Santa Monica are a couple of blocks up on Wilshire...Overall, the neighborhood is fairly safe though not exactly scenic or beautiful...

The TraveLodge is in an even lesser location--on Pico, just below where it goes under the 10 freeway...I probably wouldn't even consider that one...

Both of these hotels put you 25-40 blocks from the prime part of Santa Monica...The really attractive part of Santa Monica, for a tourist, is the area near the beach/Ocean Avenue/Palisades Park/Santa Monica Pier/Third Street Promenade...Of course, the hotels there tend to be a bit pricey (second weekend of November, I'll be staying at Le Merigot--one of the prime hotels at the beach...Le Merigot, Loews, Shutters on the Beach, Casa Del Mar and Fairmont Miramar are what I consider prime Santa Monica Hotels--for the quality of the hotel...and for the location--very scenic, peaceful and ideally situated within walking distance of the attractions. I was in the Santa Monica Suite (Room 801) at Loews once, for example, and that room has what may be the most fascinating view of any hotel room I've ever been in--top floor corner facing the pier--lit up at night!)...

Thereare a few other hotels along Ocean Avenue, some okay, some not so nice...and a few hotels also in the area with a drawback or two--The Wyndham has a GREAT location, except it is right on the freeway...but perfect if you can get a room on the side of the hotel away from the freeway... The Doubletree and the Sheraton Delfina are both a few blocks away from perfect--but not bad, especially with a car...

For something a little south of Santa Monica, check out the MArina Del Ray MArriott or the Inn at Venice Beach...

Just FYI, some out-of-town visitors stayed at the Hermosa Beach Hampton Inn, which is close to the Hyatt. They really liked it and commented it was one of the best Hampton properties they had experienced. That said, it was inconvenient to downtown, and they spent 2 hours experiencing LA traffic to get to a Dodger's game on a Friday night...a 30 minute drive normally.

Depending on what part of LA your points of interest are at, you're probably better off in Santa Monica, etc. If the hotel is just a place to stay and not a destination in itself, there are many good hotels that don't have the resort element and the costs. Hotels in business areas or near hospitals often have good rates.

If you would say what you would like to see around the LA area we could help you better.

Archived