help with scooter and oxygen, Please

ladybiker4life

I will be traveling with my mom and husband in May of 2013 on the Norwegian Sky. My mom has trouble walking, so I would like to rent her a scooter. I also would like to have it for the trip to the port, so I dont think get one from the one (care at sea?) is an option. Any suggestions? Also she is on oxygen, so how do I handle that? Thank you!

Just so you know NCL will provide wheelchair assistance at the port both on Embarkation day and on Disembarkation. So ordering a scooter for delivery directly to your mother's cabin would still be a doable option.

NCL only allows Special Needs at Seas to deliver onto the ship. Care vacations will not deliver to an NCL ship.

I will be traveling with my mom and husband in May of 2013 on the Norwegian Sky. My mom has trouble walking, so I would like to rent her a scooter. I also would like to have it for the trip to the port, so I dont think get one from the one (care at sea?) is an option. Any suggestions? Also she is on oxygen, so how do I handle that? Thank you!

Do you mean " 2013 or 2014?????????????????:confused::confused::confused:

Cato :)

Call Special needs at sea. They can help you with both. We had them deliver the scooter to our hotel room before a few cruises. They will charge extra to deliver to the hotel. We arranged for a handicap cab about a week ahead of time for them to pick us up at the hotel and take us to the pier. The scooter is secured in the back of the cab

You could also rent at home, and take the scooter with you on the plane or drive to the port.

As for oxygen, if you are flying, you must make arrangements with the airline in advance. You can take certain brands of oxygen concentrators (can this person use that alone) with you on the plane, but if you require tank oxygen, you must obtain that from the airline (for a fee). Oxygen on the ship is much the same...bring your own concentrator (or rent from Special Needs) or obtain oxygen through the vendor that the ship authorizes.

Just so you know NCL will provide wheelchair assistance at the port both on Embarkation day and on Disembarkation. So ordering a scooter for delivery directly to your mother's cabin would still be a doable option.

NCL only allows Special Needs at Seas to deliver onto the ship. Care vacations will not deliver to an NCL ship.

Deleted because i responded to the wrong poster. Sorry about that....

Joanie

I realized you meant May 2014:)

As to Renting scooter and Oxygen supplies. Order an Oxygen Concentrator for use in the stateroom and hotels, make sure to do all of this ASAP so that your Doctor can fill out the correct forms/prescriptions on his letterhead, etc...

Both Special Needs at Sea and Care Vacations will deliver the supplies to a hotel prior to your cruising and post cruise.

I almost always have my Scooter delivered to my Hotel the day I arrive (usually 1-2 days before the cruise) and have it picked up at our Post cruise Hotel (usually the day after we get off the ship).

I now own a Portable Concentrator that is Airlines approved, so no longer have to oreder Oxygen supplies, but it is expensive and insurance will only cover 80% of it (well, I should say they DID cover 80%. I do not know if that has changed with the new Health Care crud....)

The scooter extra days I think was $16.00 each additional day.

And best of all, if the above does not get you excited, your Mom can then go off the ship and into the ports with little problems, AS LONG AS YOU make sure to let your cruise Line know that she will have a scooter and or other medical supplies.

Hope this helps:)

Joanie

Archived