coffee makers in room?

MalibooNewYork

On the Viking Skadi, one of the new longships, we did NOT have any coffee makers in the room...barely room for what you need ;-)

However, there were two excellent coffee machines in the hallway to the Lounge with multiple options that were always available (along with delicious cookies or pastries.)

An etiquette question then about sneaking out and bringing coffee back to the room...Do you have to be fully dressed or is a quick trip in robe and slippers to grab coffee acceptable? I've never cruised before and don't want to make my first faux pas on the first morning.

I was on the Viking Romantic Danube cruise this summer and didn't see anyone in a robe in a public area. However, I am not a morning person and barely made it in time for a quick breakfast before the tours, so I would not have seen someone slipping out for coffee early in the morning. :)

Don't worry. You don't have to sneak. It is perfectly acceptable to walk down the hall in a robe, shorts, etc. to grab a quick cup of coffee or cappuccino for you and your spouse and bring it back to the room. I have been doing this for years. The only people you're likely to run into are a staff member on their way somewhere or another passenger also in a robe doing the same thing! The whole thing takes 5 minutes so it is not likely you're going to run into anybody especially if it's early. And it's not just the morning. You have access to that machine all day long. Another example of robes being worn is when you go from your room to the massage therapy room even if you walk all the way down the corridor and down to another level. Very relaxed atmosphere on board.....

We have been on cruises with Viking and Avalon. I'm a very early riser. I pull on robe, grab a book and head to the coffee station so he can sleep a little longer. By Day Three, there were several of us having coffee before getting it together for breakfast. Delightfully different conversations at 5:00am! There were always people coming in for coffee to take back to their rooms before they dressed for the day. No problem.

This has been such a refreshing post--a great question and great responses. Hope the OP has a wonderful trip with the necessary early am caffeine. This is also the type of thread that will keep keep the good questions coming. Be careful, river cruisingncan be addicting. We have numbers 18 and 19 coming up early next year. Pat

There has been some adverse comment about Scenic Tours river cruises but all you have to do for your early morning caffeine fix is to ask your butler and request a time and it will be delivered, mind you I suppose you will have to get out of bed to open the door but as robes are provided you don't have to take your own and will also save packing space.

Archived