Uh Oh

texancruzer

I happened to be in Rome the day there was a big protest against the government's decision to support the US effort in Iraq. Everyone was in quite a lather and it was a little intimidating ... Americans were warned to stay out of it lest we be blamed personally. As it turned out I spent the day visiting churches and historical sites and only ran into the protest near Piazza Venezia, but that was enough. Like many things Italian, it was really, really loud. I'm used to protests and picket lines, but for the most part the ones I've seen (or been a part of) were pretty orderly and quiet.

I received an email from the Vatican today canceling my tour for the 19th stating "due to events the Sistine Chapel will close at 1500"

I wonder if this has anything to do with the strikes.

No, I don't think so. The strike is the day before. I would guess that this has something to do with the Vatican Museums Patrons group, which is having various different meetings that week, culminating with a planned visit with the Pope. The date, time, and location of that meeting have not been announced, but maybe it will be in the Sistine Chapel on Saturday afternoon/evening ...

Vatican press release on Patrons events: http://www.vis.va/vissolr/index.php?vi=all&dl=78580887-50c0-7288-95b8-5253fe95d110&dl_t=text/xml&dl_a=y&ul=1&ev=1

Patrons announcement of Papal meeting: http://www.vatican-patrons.org/the-patrons-30th-anniversary/

• 2 weeks later...

Hope someone comes back and relates their experience. We had always planned to fly out of Rome (off Regent Mariner) on the 17th. I used FF miles for Business for Rome/London and next day London/Miami. We flew BA Rome/London and got to the airport really early for our 3:20 flight. We had been told that they could NOT accommodate us with an earlier flight. When we arrived at the airport it was too early to check in but BA informed us they had leased another plane and would be doing them a favor to go earlier. We said our seats in Business? Yes please would you consider 11:30. Heck yeah! Turned out they were filling up every plane they could and leased another to get people out before the 9 p.m. strike that night (went 9 p.m. on 17th to 9 p.m. on 18th). Plane was very full.

Archived