Uh Oh

texancruzer

FlyerTalk still has the 10/10 air traffic controllers going out on strike. That's EU-wide, which could be an issue for anyone, anywhere in/out of Europe... Last time there was a strike like that, it did ripple down to several US-Europe flights...

2 more question.

Oct 18 I have a ticket on Swiss rail, Lugano to Milan, would that train make it to Milan?

I have a second ticket Milan to Venice on Trenilia for later Oct 18 which would be cancelled if there is a strike. I would just stay in Milan the night and would things be back to normal Oct 19?

Cruise is Oct 19 out of Venice.

2 more question.

Oct 18 I have a ticket on Swiss rail, Lugano to Milan, would that train make it to Milan?

I have a second ticket Milan to Venice on Trenilia for later Oct 18 which would be cancelled if there is a strike. I would just stay in Milan the night and would things be back to normal Oct 19?

Cruise is Oct 19 out of Venice.

The train strike is scheduled to start at 21:01 on Thursday, October 17th and end at 21:00 (8 PM) on Friday, October 18th. Things will quickly be back to normal, but traffic on the trains will be heavier on the 19th. While the strike may be cancelled, if you don't mind staying over in Milan it might make sense to go ahead and rebook your Milan - Venice leg now for the 19th.

What time is your train scheduled to arrive in Milan on the 18th? If it's before 21:00 you'll be fine. It's not clear to me if foreign trains will be allowed to arrive into Milan after the start of the strike, you might do better to contact Swiss rail and ask them, they've certainly had to deal with this type of situation before.

I have a flight to Rome leaving North America on the 18th. I checked the website for slowtravel provided in the OP and it mentions an air traffic strike from !pm to 5pm. But then it also mentions air travel for 24 hours under the general stike section. I have no clue if I will be affected or not.:confused:

We are due to arrive in Rome early on the 18 th. Is it wise to go ahead and reschedule? Do airlines usually allow changes under these circumstances or do they charge high fees to change?

Is it only public ground transportation that is effected? We have a private transfer from the airport to the hotel?

Sorry for so many questions, but this is my first experience with these strikes. Not sure what to expect.

Thanks

Paula

As of today, the general strike is set for all day on the 18th (from 00:01 to 23:59) for the air sector.

If you try to change your flight in advance you will be charged; in fact, if you try to change the first leg of a flight they will cancel the entire ticket and you'd have to rebook as though there had never been a ticket in the first place. The thing to do is keep checking with your airline to see if they start offering to make the change.

Private transportation will not be impacted as they are not union employees.

As of today, the general strike is set for all day on the 18th (from 00:01 to 23:59) for the air sector.

If you try to change your flight in advance you will be charged; in fact, if you try to change the first leg of a flight they will cancel the entire ticket and you'd have to rebook as though there had never been a ticket in the first place. The thing to do is keep checking with your airline to see if they start offering to make the change.

Private transportation will not be impacted as they are not union employees.

my flight leaves on the 18th, but is due to land in Rome on the morning of the 19th, when the strike should be over. So I assume I should be OK. Or am I being naive and that the 19th will also be a problem, because of all the delayed flights from the 18th? This is the first time I have had to deal with this . thank you for any suggestions.

my flight leaves on the 18th, but is due to land in Rome on the morning of the 19th, when the strike should be over. So I assume I should be OK. Or am I being naive and that the 19th will also be a problem, because of all the delayed flights from the 18th?

You might be slightly delayed, but I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. The beauty of the Italian system of strikes is that everyone has time to prepare and have contingency plans in place.

I asked my airline and he said arrivals on the 19th should not be effected. He said the most people effected would be those with connections in Italy arrivals should be ok . My tour guide in Rome said these strikes are also cancelled all the time so just keep an eye on it and keep in contact with your airline.

I asked my airline and he said arrivals on the 19th should not be effected. He said the most people effected would be those with connections in Italy arrivals should be ok . My tour guide in Rome said these strikes are also cancelled all the time so just keep an eye on it and keep in contact with your airline.

Thank you, your reply is much appreciated.

This strike seems to be all transportation, including maritime. Does anyone know if these types of strikes prevent cruise ships from docking at Italian ports? Also would a cruise line shore excursion be impacted? Any answers would be appreciated.

I've done a little more reading about this strike and, as I'm interpreting what I read, I think that this one will happen. COBAS, a union that represents a range of workers, is planning major events in the big cities, including a show and march in Rome on the 18th, starting at 10 AM at Piazza Repubblica and going to Piazza San Giovani. http://www.cobas.it/Notizie/18-OTTOBRE-2013-SCIOPERO-GENERALE The protest is against the spending cutbacks planned by the government, rather than a contract negotiation.

This strike is being called a "grassroots" movement as it was called for initially by smaller unions, not the big ones that control most of the strikes (the ones that are often cancelled). The workers involved in these unions are not, for the most part, the "front line" folks, but their work is required to support the folks on the front line. However, it's impossible to know if other unions will respect the strike even though they did not call it. At the moment, I don't see any mention of the strike on the CGIL web site (one of the larger unions) nor is CGIL listed on the government site.

I would expect this strike to significantly impact your ability to get around on land, in the air, and possibly by sea (ferries, jet boats, etc.). I'm not familiar with the unions that run the ports so I'm afraid I can't help point you in the direction of answers regarding whether or not cruise ships will be able to get into port on that day.

Thank you for the warning of this strike. We are due to fly into Rome on the 18th Oct. Lufthansa say that we cannot change our flights and that they will notify us of any disruption, 24 to 48 hours before the flight! Most inconvenient. At least we have two nights in Rome before our cruise (maybe only one now). It is very hard to travel anywhere without some sort of problem arising. At least the insurance should cover this one. I suppose that it is a bit like the ship missing a port of call due to weather, (just as long as you do not miss the ship!!). It reminds me of why I like to arrive a day or two in advance of the start of the cruise. Shame to miss a day in Rome though.

Archived