Mini Cruise - P&O or Cruise Maritime for 30 somethings

missmuse

Hi All

I would love your opinion!

Im looking to booking a second mini cruise for my birthday. The choice is between P&O or Cruise Maritime

I have already cruised on P&O and had an amazing time - Just wondering if Cruise Maritime is equally good or better?

Whats everyone's opinion?

miss muse:)

I haven't been on Cruise & Maritime, but the ships of theirs that I've seen don't look anything special. I have friends who took their first cruise on Cruise & Maritime last year and loved it, but at that point they had no other cruise line to compare it with. They took their second cruise a few months later on P&O and now say that they will only cruise with P&O in future

I would recommend you stick with P&O cruises as these are all streamlined and modern vessels with loads of nice lounges and planned events.

Martime & Voyages on the other hand features three older and smaller ships which unless you are fan of older liners you might not enjoy as much. Their Marco Polo was built in 1965, The Astor in 1987 and the MV Voyager not able to find anything on this ship.

Smaller ships are very nice, but, these older ones will have very small cabins as well. As a new cruiser try another P&O ship instead.

Jonathan

I would recommend you stick with P&O cruises as these are all streamlined and modern vessels with loads of nice lounges and planned events.

Martime & Voyages on the other hand features three older and smaller ships which unless you are fan of older liners you might not enjoy as much. Their Marco Polo was built in 1965, The Astor in 1987 and the MV Voyager not able to find anything on this ship.

Smaller ships are very nice, but, these older ones will have very small cabins as well. As a new cruiser try another P&O ship instead.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Voyager is in the hands of Voyages of Discovery.

Cruise & Maritime took over mv Discovery when Voyages of Discovery replaced it with Voyager.

Cruise & Maritime and Voyages of Discovery are similar small cruise lines, yes their ships are old & small.

But they're cheap, they're friendly, & they go places that big ships can't.

We've sailed Discovery a couple of times with Voyages of Discovery, despite enjoying the destinations & the atmosphere on the ship (and food was pretty good too) the old lady is just so tired & limited that we swore we wouldn't sail her again.

Then up popped an interesting & cheap Black Sea cruise with only one sea day. So we booked. Off in a couple of weeks time. We know the ship & she's just about acceptable for a 10 day cruise with 9 ports, but we've never sailed Cruise & Maritime so that's suck-it-and-see.

But it's all an acquired taste.

So probably mismuse is best to stick with P&O. We've sailed P&O and enjoyed them too.

JB :)

Hi Jonathan,

Voyager is in the hands of Voyages of Discovery.

Cruise & Maritime took over mv Discovery when Voyages of Discovery replaced it with Voyager.

Cruise & Maritime and Voyages of Discovery are similar small cruise lines, yes their ships are old & small.

But they're cheap, they're friendly, & they go places that big ships can't.

We've sailed Discovery a couple of times with Voyages of Discovery, despite enjoying the destinations & the atmosphere on the ship (and food was pretty good too) the old lady is just so tired & limited that we swore we wouldn't sail her again.

Then up popped an interesting & cheap Black Sea cruise with only one sea day. So we booked. Off in a couple of weeks time. We know the ship & she's just about acceptable for a 10 day cruise with 9 ports, but we've never sailed Cruise & Maritime so that's suck-it-and-see.

But it's all an acquired taste.

So probably mismuse is best to stick with P&O. We've sailed P&O and enjoyed them too.

Thanks for the heads up on Voyage John Bull. I frankly rather enjoy the older ships if they are well-maintained and well priced. I just figured for Missmuse a newer ship with all of the bells and whistles would be more to her liking.

That 10-day voyage of yours sounds nice on Discovery, would love to see some pictures of the ship if you post them anywhere. Have a great cruise.

Jonathan

Thanks for the heads up on Voyage John Bull. I frankly rather enjoy the older ships if they are well-maintained and well priced. I just figured for Missmuse a newer ship with all of the bells and whistles would be more to her liking.

That 10-day voyage of yours sounds nice on Discovery, would love to see some pictures of the ship if you post them anywhere. Have a great cruise.

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan,

Yes, well past their prime but they're proper cruise ships, unlike the modern floating apartment blocks. And the atmosphere of a village rather than a city.

That said, P&O's ships - other than Ventura & Azura - are a very manageable size & vaguely the right shape with tiered stern decks. Aurora is a favourite of mine.

One day I'll learn how to up-load photos :rolleyes:, in the meantime you'll have to get by with stuff like this on Google Images.

506_CRU_MV_Discovery_DORADO.JPG

mv Discovery

Thanks Jonathan,

Yes, well past their prime but they're proper cruise ships, unlike the modern floating apartment blocks. And the atmosphere of a village rather than a city.

That said, P&O's ships - other than Ventura & Azura - are a very manageable size & vaguely the right shape with tiered stern decks. Aurora is a favourite of mine.

One day I'll learn how to up-load photos :rolleyes:, in the meantime you'll have to get by with stuff like this on Google Images.

506_CRU_MV_Discovery_DORADO.JPG

mv Discovery

Agree with you 100% John Bull. The few pictures I saw of the Marco Polo and the Discovery reminded me of the old world feel of QE2 particularly the tiered aft section and some of cabin designs.

As a nod to the Passport photo reference in your Signature phrase. I saw a comedian in Los Vegas years ago who said "You know you're getting old when you look at your driver's license and say 'I look really good here'".

Jonathan

Archived