Premium beverage package; does it include the Molecular Bar

Eurosalt

We looked at some posted menus and noticed the Molecular Bar drink price was 13.75 a drink and the drink package max is 12.00. Does this mean the premium package no longer includes the Molecular Bar? Please say it isn't so.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We looked at some posted menus and noticed the Molecular Bar drink price was 13.75 a drink and the drink package max is 12.00. Does this mean the premium package no longer includes the Molecular Bar? Please say it isn't so.

With the Premium Beverage Package, any drink over $12 you pay the difference only.

Classic BP - anything over $8 - you pay the full amount of the drink.

Just about every drink is covered by the premium package.

The drinks in your cabin from the mini bar aren't, and that includes that big bottle of water.

The drinks that aren't covered are those high priced wines, wine dispenser, drink seminars, martini flights, and real high priced spirits such as Louie XIII

Almost anything on any drink menu is included. If in doubt just ask the server or BT.

.:)

Eurosalt,

The posted menu you saw may have been for a cruise departing from Great Britain. On these cruises the price includes the 15% gratuity. The beverage packages also include these costs. A $12 drink on these cruises is actually listed as $13.75 (it would be listed as $12 + 1.80 gratuity on other cruises). Both would be 100% covered under the premium alcoholic drink package. I think this is done because some Brits objected to the required 15% gratuity.

Eurosalt,

The posted menu you saw may have been for a cruise departing from Great Britain. On these cruises the price includes the 15% gratuity. The beverage packages also include these costs. A $12 drink on these cruises is actually listed as $13.75 (it would be listed as $12 + 1.80 gratuity on other cruises). Both would be 100% covered under the premium alcoholic drink package. I think this is done because some Brits objected to the required 15% gratuity.

The price differential on European cruises is to account for the required VAT not to add in gratuity.

The price differential on European cruises is to account for the required VAT not to add in gratuity.

Is this a new law or a change in enforcement?

We've never seen this on any of our cruises in Europe, the most recent of which was late last year. The only time I've seen this was on a sailing from Barcelona a few years ago and that was just on embarkation day before we left the dock (or was it before we left Spanish waters). And in that case the menu prices were not adjusted but the tax was added when drinks were rung up.

But I have heard that the Eclipse sailings from Southampton have the 15% gratuity built into the menu prices instead of being stated separately. I've also heard that the package price limits were also adjusted accordingly.

Is this a new law or a change in enforcement?

We've never seen this on any of our cruises in Europe, the most recent of which was late last year. The only time I've seen this was on a sailing from Barcelona a few years ago and that was just on embarkation day before we left the dock (or was it before we left Spanish waters). And in that case the menu prices were not adjusted but the tax was added when drinks were rung up.

But I have heard that the Eclipse sailings from Southampton have the 15% gratuity built into the menu prices instead of being stated separately. I've also heard that the package price limits were also adjusted accordingly.

I was in Southampton when I heard this after a TA. They said it was VAT added to the bills and thus the drink qualified under the scheme. I think the UK vat is 15% nowadays - I though it was changed in the last couple years. So coincidence Gratuity rate and VAT both are 15% and can leave it to speculation.

You'd know if you noticed the gratuity amount printed on the sales chit....for accounting they would have to keep the unit cost separate from gratuity amount. If its all in, then that receipt lends itself to the amount being VAT related, as prices are shown VAT inclusive. Also I think the statement of account would also break out the gratuity to the gratuity column if it was a gratuity....otherwise many would be tempted to double tip not really knowing right?

Lsimon is correct, the 15% gratuity is included in the total price on sailings out of the UK. The VAT rate in the UK at present is 20%. All drinks in the Molelular Bar are included in the Premium Beverage Package.

Thank you all for the info. The menu I was referring to was from the Eclipse out of Southhampton, so yours and our fellow cc'ers info was spot on. You have made my husband very happy as the Molecular bar is still available with the premium package.

Thank you all for the info. The menu I was referring to was from the Eclipse out of Southhampton, so yours and our fellow cc'ers info was spot on. You have made my husband very happy as the Molecular bar is still available with the premium package.

We actually got off the Eclipse last Sunday and my Husband sampled most of the cocktails on the Molecular Bar menu on his Premium Package!!!

Archived