Passenger Demographics on the Royal Princess.

Goldenfox

The kids did a lot of arts and crafts, tee shirt decorating, watched movies, played. They did not take them to the pool.. There was a "birthday bash" one evening where all if the kids were celebrated with cake, ice cream, balloons, etc. the girls preferred to attend this rather than eat dinner with us in the dining room that evening. The counselors in the children's program were excellent.

Wonderful! Thank you, it sounds like fun!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Let me know how your kids like the ship and kiddie activities. I'm thinking of doing a family cruise next year and was leaning towards Royal Caribbean.

This isn't our first Princess cruise with the kids. Each and every time they've sailed, they've loved the kids program. I love the kids zone because they really make sure the children have fun. They have done everything Sunset beach gal said her grand kids did on-board. I'll let you know how they like the Royal when we return. :)

This isn't our first Princess cruise with the kids. Each and every time they've sailed, they've loved the kids program. I love the kids zone because they really make sure the children have fun. They have done everything Sunset beach gal said her grand kids did on-board. I'll let you know how they like the Royal when we return. :)

Thank you! I'd love to hear about your kids' experiences (and yours) on the Caribbean sailing with three sea days, vs being port intensive like sunsetbeachgal's. I hope your Royal experience goes well, as well as mine in Dec. There seem to be a lot of either loved it or hated it experiences out there.

Barring some major traumatic experience, I can't imagine it ever being as bad as some are saying. Being on the ocean in the Caribbean in December, i could be in a dingy and be thrilled!

Thanks, I do realize that. I would like to hear people's observations. I'm booked on the Royal for Dec 8, Eastern Caribbean.

My guess is that the Royal Demographics are going to be like any other Princess, or Royal Caribbean demographics for a ship sailing out of South Florida in early December.

That would mean very few American Children as you are in between Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks. Possibly a higher number of International families. Probably a higher number of younger couples (without Children) who a taking time off at this period to avoid large family crowds that will hit the second half of December

I have sailed the First week of December 3 times now and there has always been a much lower number of Children than average

Edited by smoosh21

My guess is that the Royal Demographics are going to be like any other Princess, or Royal Caribbean demographics for a ship sailing out of South Florida in early December.

That would mean very few American Children as you are in between Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks. Possibly a higher number of International families. Probably a higher number of younger couples (without Children) who a taking time off at this period to avoid large family crowds that will hit the second half of December

I have sailed the First week of December 3 times now and there has always been a much lower number of Children than average

Thanks! That's how i plan my travels, when the kids are in school! I get cheaper fares, and i can cover for the parents who take time off when the kids are on vacation!

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you! I'd love to hear about your kids' experiences (and yours) on the Caribbean sailing with three sea days, vs being port intensive like sunsetbeachgal's. I hope your Royal experience goes well, as well as mine in Dec. There seem to be a lot of either loved it or hated it experiences out there.

This is what I just posted on the boards about our experience with the kids program.

I just got off the Royal on Sunday and was very disappointed with the way the kids program was run on this ship. Let me start by saying, I've been a big cheerleader when it comes to their program but not with these counselors. I have a 5 yo son and 12 yo daughter. Registered them right away so they could begin to enjoy the program at the start of the cruise. Well, my son went into the Pelicans room twice the ENTIRE cruise! I always had to sign him into Shockwaves which is for the 8-12 year old group. I immediately questioned them about this on the first night and they said to me, "when more kids come we'll transfer them into the pelicans room." Now of course there were not a lot of children onboard but enough to have each room open. I believe the only reason he actually got to play in there twice was because I continually voiced my opinion about how he belonged in that room and so did the rest of the the 3-7 year olds. It was such a great play area for them. It was like dangling an ice cream cone in front of a little kid and telling them they couldn't have it. So many fun things to do inside for younger children. They never used the outdoor play area for the littles either.

My daughter who has always loved the program, refused to go in the first 3 days because she didn't like being in the same room with her little brother. The counselors asked why she wasn't coming in and I told them straight out, "Separate the two groups!" This is the kicker, my daughter is going to be 13 in 5 weeks but they wouldn't allow her into the teen room! For some reason it was ok for the 5 year old to be with 12 year olds though?

My son still had fun but he mostly just played video games in that room which of course he loves because he's a gamer! Once my daughter finally started to go in and meet up with some of her friends she enlightened me a bit. Her perception was laziness on the counselors part. They didn't seem to do much with the kids which has not been the experience I've had over the past 8 years with their kids program.

My children still had a great cruise but this is not the way we've ever seen this program run. Hope this helps those with children.

This is what I just posted on the boards about our experience with the kids program.

I just got off the Royal on Sunday and was very disappointed with the way the kids program was run on this ship. Let me start by saying, I've been a big cheerleader when it comes to their program but not with these counselors. I have a 5 yo son and 12 yo daughter. Registered them right away so they could begin to enjoy the program at the start of the cruise. Well, my son went into the Pelicans room twice the ENTIRE cruise! I always had to sign him into Shockwaves which is for the 8-12 year old group. I immediately questioned them about this on the first night and they said to me, "when more kids come we'll transfer them into the pelicans room." Now of course there were not a lot of children onboard but enough to have each room open. I believe the only reason he actually got to play in there twice was because I continually voiced my opinion about how he belonged in that room and so did the rest of the the 3-7 year olds. It was such a great play area for them. It was like dangling an ice cream cone in front of a little kid and telling them they couldn't have it. So many fun things to do inside for younger children. They never used the outdoor play area for the littles either.

My daughter who has always loved the program, refused to go in the first 3 days because she didn't like being in the same room with her little brother. The counselors asked why she wasn't coming in and I told them straight out, "Separate the two groups!" This is the kicker, my daughter is going to be 13 in 5 weeks but they wouldn't allow her into the teen room! For some reason it was ok for the 5 year old to be with 12 year olds though?

My son still had fun but he mostly just played video games in that room which of course he loves because he's a gamer! Once my daughter finally started to go in and meet up with some of her friends she enlightened me a bit. Her perception was laziness on the counselors part. They didn't seem to do much with the kids which has not been the experience I've had over the past 8 years with their kids program.

My children still had a great cruise but this is not the way we've ever seen this program run. Hope this helps those with children.

I'm sorry to hear about this. Did you speak with a supervisor? When I went on the Disney Fantasy last year, I felt the one kid's club was too rowdy (physical) and talked with one of the supervising counselors (Disney kid clubs are nuts!!!). Anyway, the pushing and other physical stuff improved and DD (overall) had a good time. I don't like my four-year old in with older kids. Older kids can rough house, etc. and, unknowingly, hurt her (happened once). When I sail on the Royal in the next month or so, I will monitor the kid's club situation and take it up the chain of command if I feel the counselors aren't doing their jobs. Thank you for alerting us.

Oh that's quite unfortunate that your kids didn't get to have a good a time as you'd hoped! Thank you for providing your feedback. I'm sure many would find this helpful to consider if traveling with kids while school is in session.

Did you file a complaint? Cos I'd be interested to hear the response given to you. Hope your next vacation turns out to be everything you hope it to be!