Passenger Demographics on the Royal Princess.

Goldenfox

Can anyone who's been on the Royal shed some light on the demographics of the passengers who cruise her? What were your observations re: age, nationality, or anything else you can think of?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

While you are awaiting replies from those who have sailed in Royal Princess, keep in mind that her demographics for a 12-night Grand Mediterranean cruise may be completely different than that of her 18-night Transatlantic, a 7-night Eastern Caribbean, an 11-night Scandinavian and Russia cruise, or even a Holiday Cruise. Even for a Med cruise it may differ from early in the season to peak season to late season. Since Royal Princess will not be returning to the Med in 2014, I'm guessing you are either already booked on Royal Princess or Regal Princess, or looking at some of those same itineraries for next year? It might help to know which you are looking at to narrow down the expected demographics.

Thanks, I do realize that. I would like to hear people's observations. I'm booked on the Royal for Dec 8, Eastern Caribbean

Well, that is embarrassing since now I recognize your screen name from our Roll Call. :o However, I certainly wouldn't expect the demographic for our cruise to be anywhere close to the same as a Med cruise. Last year on Ruby Princess there were hardly any kids at all (unlike a Med cruise that has had reports of over 800 kids), a good number of passengers came locally from Florida i.e. 'The Villages' and the Gulf Coast of Florida, as well as the US southeast (most saying this summer's Med cruises were heavy on Europeans and lots of families), and it will probably be a lot quieter in the evening compared to a Med cruise even though they are more port intensive.

We have just returned from med cruise, which as pointed out earlier may be totally different on a Caribbean cruise. However, the mix aboard was extremely eclectic. As Brits we were in the minority with a great many Americans, Canadians, other Europeans - German, Spanish, Dutch, Italian etc etc. also many from Japan, China, etc etc as well as Australians and just about every other country you could name- in other words there was no dominating nationality just a really good mix. Similar observations regarding age too really, a good mix. In my experience every cruise is different and it would be very difficult to state 'typical' unless it was a themed cruise.:)

Thanks, I do realize that. I would like to hear people's observations. I'm booked on the Royal for Dec 8, Eastern Caribbean.

We are on that same sailing!!!! It's getting close!!!!

Well, that is embarrassing since now I recognize your screen name from our Roll Call. :o However, I certainly wouldn't expect the demographic for our cruise to be anywhere close to the same as a Med cruise. Last year on Ruby Princess there were hardly any kids at all (unlike a Med cruise that has had reports of over 800 kids), a good number of passengers came locally from Florida i.e. 'The Villages' and the Gulf Coast of Florida, as well as the US southeast (most saying this summer's Med cruises were heavy on Europeans and lots of families), and it will probably be a lot quieter in the evening compared to a Med cruise even though they are more port intensive.

Lol, np, realized that too ;)

Did you find on the Ruby that the passengers were an older crowd or a good mix of ages? (Esp as it it's around the holidays?)

I was on Royal Caribbean last December, HAL in June and Carnival in September. (I'm sampling to find my favorite). There were such variations in demographics! Carnival and Royal seem to have many similarities, except in food, where Carnival wins. For ambience, service and stateroom size, I prefer HAL, for age/ethnic mix and activities i liked RCI, and for food i liked Carnival. I'm so curious to see if Princess will give me the best all around experience.

We have just returned from med cruise, which as pointed out earlier may be totally different on a Caribbean cruise. However, the mix aboard was extremely eclectic. As Brits we were in the minority with a great many Americans, Canadians, other Europeans - German, Spanish, Dutch, Italian etc etc. also many from Japan, China, etc etc as well as Australians and just about every other country you could name- in other words there was no dominating nationality just a really good mix. Similar observations regarding age too really, a good mix. In my experience every cruise is different and it would be very difficult to state 'typical' unless it was a themed cruise.:)

Thank you! That's great to hear! I hope it carries over into the Caribbean, but I do realize Americans will probably be in the majority. Last year on RCI I was surprised to find significant Chinese and Australian delegations on a Caribbean cruise.

Lol, np, realized that too ;)

Did you find on the Ruby that the passengers were an older crowd or a good mix of ages? (Esp as it it's around the holidays?)

I was on Royal Caribbean last December, HAL in June and Carnival in September. (I'm sampling to find my favorite). There were such variations in demographics! Carnival and Royal seem to have many similarities, except in food, where Carnival wins. For ambience, service and stateroom size, I prefer HAL, for age/ethnic mix and activities i liked RCI, and for food i liked Carnival. I'm so curious to see if Princess will give me the best all around experience.

I was on Ruby Princess at the exact same time last year as our cruise on Royal Princess is this year. Here's a quick video I shot, I think it must have been on formal night, but it gives a pretty good representation of the ages on board.

Being smack dab in the middle between the end of the Thanksgiving holiday and beginning of the Christmas break meant that there were just a lot less families and teens. I did go up to the Trident Grill that night for dinner and there were a few young adults in the hot tubs, so they were aboard, just not as many as you might see a week or two later when schools are out.

Edited by dmwnc1959

I think this is a really great question!

I have sailed on the new ship, and she is beautiful with some great innovations (and some things I personally do not like) but i was left a little confused with some design choices.

For example, The kids facilities and sports deck are superb - much expanded compared to other ships, yet there is only one general pool (plus the adults pool), limited space around the pool and as we know, no real promenade deck for the runners or walkers (you can get dizzy on the running track if you like).

Not wishing to offend anyone...Is it for families or those with teens/sporty types?

Then we have the most fabulous Spa and Sanctuary - is this where the majority of parents will spend their time whilst their small ones are in the kids club? some i guess but not the majority.

Is it for the well healed or older crowd who will spend their days in the amazing Thermal Suite??

So my conclusion is that you will find all types and all ages on the ship, as on all ships, depending on the length of cruise and destination. Otherwise, as I said, I cant work it out! LOL.

However, given that single pool, I would avoid the hotter cruises myself.

So thats my two pence worth on the subject. Great question though. :)

We were on the Royal in July and it was a mix with quite a lot of families and over 800 children. Very few older passengers other than those with multi-.generational groups, and even less mobility challenged as it Was a port intensive cruise and the travel to and from Europe is rigorous and expensive. A very international makeup too with Americans, Aussies, Brits, Chinese, Canadians, Brazilians, Mexicans. The CD announced the various top nationalities on board, so this was fact not my observations.

However, for a caribbean sailing in an off time between two major holidays I would expect a mature crowd with few children and mostly Americans (many from Florida) and Canadians.

Enjoy!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Then we have the most fabulous Spa and Sanctuary -

Is it for the well healed or older crowd who will spend their days in the amazing Thermal Suite??

I got a chuckle out of this. If they are "well-healed", then perhaps they don't need the Spa!! ;)

Keep in mind that early Dec., before Christmas that is, is about the least expensive time of the year to cruise in the Caribbean. This makes it a good time for many Floridians to take a getaway.

In Dec. 2011 when I did my B2B on Celebrity Millennium I discovered during that first evenings conversation at dinner in the MDR that everyone else at the table was indeed from Florida, half of them from The Villages, and I was the 'baby' at 51 years of age! lol ;)

I think this is a really great question!

I have sailed on the new ship, and she is beautiful with some great innovations (and some things I personally do not like) but i was left a little confused with some design choices.

For example, The kids facilities and sports deck are superb - much expanded compared to other ships, yet there is only one general pool (plus the adults pool), limited space around the pool and as we know, no real promenade deck for the runners or walkers (you can get dizzy on the running track if you like).

Not wishing to offend anyone...Is it for families or those with teens/sporty types?

Then we have the most fabulous Spa and Sanctuary - is this where the majority of parents will spend their time whilst their small ones are in the kids club? some i guess but not the majority.

So my conclusion is that you will find all types and all ages on the ship, as on all ships, depending on the length of cruise and destination. Otherwise, as I said, I cant work it out! LOL.

However, given that single pool, I would avoid the hotter cruises myself.

So thats my two pence worth on the subject. Great question though. :)

Thanks! I don't typically care for pool use, so a lounger anywhere quiet works for me. I've yet to be bothered by kids on my vacations, because I vacation when they're in school, and then they're in the minority.

I guess the only thing to do is to see when I go on her, if she's the fit I'm looking for. I like being around a mix of ethnicities and age groups. Makes for a lot easier and more interesting conversation, being an introvert myself.

Keep in mind that early Dec., before Christmas that is, is about the least expensive time of the year to cruise in the Caribbean. This makes it a good time for many Floridians to take a getaway.

And I thought I was escaping Florida when I left Orlando to move to Dallas! ;)

We were on the Royal in July and it was a mix with quite a lot of families and over 800 children. Very few older passengers other than those with multi-.generational groups, and even less mobility challenged as it Was a port intensive cruise and the travel to and from Europe is rigorous and expensive. A very international makeup too with Americans, Aussies, Brits, Chinese, Canadians, Brazilians, Mexicans. The CD announced the various top nationalities on board, so this was fact not my observations.

However, for a caribbean sailing in an off time between two major holidays I would expect a mature crowd with few children and mostly Americans (many from Florida) and Canadians.

Enjoy!

I really enjoyed your Live From! Thank you for doing that! Well i'm hoping that there will continue to be a lot of diversity, even if the majority are Floridians and Canadians. :)

I really enjoyed your Live From! Thank you for doing that! Well i'm hoping that there will continue to be a lot of diversity, even if the majority are Floridians and Canadians. :)

Thank you, I Enjoyed doing it and now I am enjoying Pia's thread!

I haven't been on Royal yet but I will be sailing her Nov 3rd, Eastern Caribbean. Just to give you an idea, we are 1 family that has booked. I'm 46, hubby, 52, daughter 12, & son 5. We live in South Florida and I'm pulling them from school for the week. I'm a new ship junkie so I can't wait to board her!

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't been on Royal yet but I will be sailing her Nov 3rd, Eastern Caribbean. Just to give you an idea, we are 1 family that has booked. I'm 46, hubby, 52, daughter 12, & son 5. We live in South Florida and I'm pulling them from school for the week. I'm a new ship junkie so I can't wait to board her!

Let me know how your kids like the ship and kiddie activities. I'm thinking of doing a family cruise next year and was leaning towards Royal Caribbean.

Let me know how your kids like the ship and kiddie activities. I'm thinking of doing a family cruise next year and was leaning towards Royal Caribbean.

We did a family cruise this year on the Royal in the Mediterranean..myself, DH his daughter, son in law and their two girls ages 9 and almost 5. Their only other cruises had been on Royal Caribbean. Everyone loved the ship and the kids absolutely loved the children's program. Great service in the dining room...the waiters really catered to the kids. There were a lot of families and extended families on our cruise, but was told the summer sailings in the Med.attract families.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Great! Thanks for the info. Did the kids tell you what kind of activities they did? Also, do they take the kids to the pool and stuff, or do they leave this for the parents to do? I have no kids, hence my lack of knowledge regarding anything kid related. I see my nephews and nieces about once a year lol.

The kids did a lot of arts and crafts, tee shirt decorating, watched movies, played. They did not take them to the pool.. There was a "birthday bash" one evening where all if the kids were celebrated with cake, ice cream, balloons, etc. the girls preferred to attend this rather than eat dinner with us in the dining room that evening. The counselors in the children's program were excellent.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal