Seabourn Pride London to Lisbon in pictures and video

Emperor Norton

Totally off topic.I see you are from Tuscon.We are originally from the East Coast, flying from New York.What route do you take to Europe??Sorry fellow friends we are looking for help.

From Sedona, our preferred route is the direct flight from Phoenix to London. But it is not always the cheapest.

I'm guessing for most cruisers that's not possible ;), followed by a tomahawk from a 688 class SSN for the Jolly Roger.

It's possible to get a small ferry boat from Falmouth to Truro. From Falmouth it stops off at St Mawes, Trelissick, Malpas and Truro depending which one you take (some don't stop at St Mawes).

It isn't expensive and the journey is very scenic even if you don't get off !

Henry :)

Several years ago, the Pride stopped in Falmouth and through the Concierge in London (Frank Laino at the Stafford) I was referred to a local guide, Hugh Trevarthen, who was wonderful. He had arranged a lovely site for lunch, posh and fun-looking, but what I wanted was to sit in the sun by the water and eat Cornish Pasties. That, too was wonderful. He's a great guy.

http://www.britainsbestguides.org/guides/1644/hugh+trevarthen/

After stopping to pick up some Cornish beer and cider as well as Welsh cider it was time to return to the ship (early sail away). While the Pride was close to town it was also right next to the local recycling dump.

DSC_3046-XL.jpg

This was the Cornish lager, I wouldn't recommend it, IMO there was something disagreeable in the hops.

DSC_3048-XL.jpg

Our "neighbor" was even closer to town and farther from the dump

DSC_3050-XL.jpg

Sailaway started

DSC_3052-XL.jpg

Initially the bar was empty

DSC_3056-XL.jpg

But that quickly changed

DSC_3057-XL.jpg

Falmouth is a working port. what you saw on the dock wasn't the local dump but bulk materials waiting to be shipped for recycling. Falmouth handles large quantities of scrap metal and glass amongst other things.

The large building with the tower is the National Maritime Museum. An interesting place to spend a few hours and it has the most incredible maritime library with books and magazines covering all aspects of shipping from around the world. There are publications in several languages, not just English.

You can access the top of the tower, make sure you take your camera ! Exhibits include British Olympic sailor Sir Ben Ainslie's winning dinghy

10ainslie_zps666be3f9.jpg

In fact they have one of his earlier Laser dinghies as well.

This is a view from the top of tower.

10Falmouthharbour_zpsc343aee2.jpg

Henry :)

Some additional pictures/different views of a place are always nice. Hopefully this means there will be a pictorial trip review when you get back from your trip, especially if we get to see the goat in the card room ;).

I think an interesting trip review would be if a number of people got together and shot the trip from their perspective and then posted it in a coherent single thread. I'm sure that'd take the skills of an expert cat-herder to bring together but the results should be fun.

Cork was somewhat of a disappointment to me. After spending a month driving around Ireland about ten years ago Cork wasn't what I was expecting. The city seemed dingy, dirty and run down. The downtown shopping area was nice, but step a block or two off and the city took a turn for the gritty. There were far more homeless here than I'd seen in Dublin. This was also the first time I'd seen anyone shoot up in Ireland. Even a number of pubs seemed rather sketchy. Perhaps my magical wander guide was just off.

We were docked on the river Lee right next to the major shopping area. We had the option of walking into the city or taking a bus. The bus was great if you were just going to hop onto the Jamesons tour bus. We stopped about a block and a half from the ship on the other side of the river.

You had to cross St. Patricks bridge and the river Lee to get to the tourist/shopping/pub areas

i-jdP9qP2-XL.jpg

It would have been faster to forgo the bus and just walk up from the ship ><

i-g3VPwpp-XL.jpg

The bridge took you onto St. Patricks street

i-sbhRv9g-XL.jpg

i-cP94stz-XL.jpg

i-ZsmbRbG-XL.jpg

The first building you run into is an indoor shopping mall. They even had an automated baby sitting device

i-Z9QtnvZ-XL.jpg

I guess the local team was doing fairly well in Hurling in the GAA?

i-LhnW3cL-XL.jpg

Plus ca change

i-KpQS6P8-XL.jpg

Different country, different rules

i-3J9Vwsb-XL.jpg

I liked the dual language signs. Further, I liked the fact that these seemed legible at a distance unlike some other countries that seem to like 24 point font for street signs.

i-pqsp3CW-XL.jpg

I got the impression that even from across the street the Keanes employee was suspicious of me.

i-P3FDVMk-XL.jpg

I'm not sure putting your poster and graffiti on someone elses property is a good way to garner sympathy for your cause

i-6DMv6Xg-XL.jpg

Edited by baychilla

After getting bored with stores that I can find pretty much anywhere I wandered further afield and right into the English market.

i-xHX6Wkd-XL.jpg

We only get ordinary fruit in the States.

i-f37cGmK-XL.jpg

i-FJg5p9G-XL.jpg

I'm not sure why, but some of the strangest looks I received were from other photographers.

i-97pjnLH-XL.jpg

i-NCswQ98-XL.jpg

i-WPgRrJ3-XL.jpg

I was surprised at the lack of game, it seemed to be the same as your average US meat counter.

i-rBssSvv-XL.jpg

I think this picture would've worked better if the van had been parked with the shark between the two women. Sadly the driver refused to cooperate.

i-6SpQ4pp-XL.jpg

Is this what happens when the Cork dialect and Facebook collide?

i-FjMmzWm-XL.jpg

Wandering out from the market I found a competitor for Colonel Sanders (Samsung Galaxy S4 photo)

i-2tvsMQd-XL.jpg

There was also what had been a nice fountain but some people felt the need to dirty it up.

i-JTg9qLs-XL.jpg

Near the Hillbilly chicken place was a wee park that went from one side of the block to the other in a narrow, vertical fashion.

i-c8LC3Sq-XL.jpg

Directly inside and to the right was where I saw a group of three ever so subtly trying to shoot up.

Inside the park was a statue of an onion seller

i-pnvz4Gg-XL.jpg

Which pigeons had given a tear streaked effect to

i-wBvMZq7-XL.jpg

The path through didn't look too bad

i-DT7sm2M-XL.jpg

There was a rather interesting fountain at the far end

i-2XSpS6d-XL.jpg

Looking down it appears it was Christ Church lane

i-WqPLc2J-XL.jpg

Edited by baychilla

Outside the park there was this interesting place

i-ZChVv5n-XL.jpg

You can tell they weren't expecting me as their beer garden hadn't been setup

i-988hnmQ-XL.jpg

Gaelic instruction, one street sign at a time

i-Ssdvjzx-XL.jpg

Perhaps the no parking sign should have been in Gaelic?

i-hbjkknH-XL.jpg

My destination St. Fin Barre's Cathederal

i-vDw2VZZ-XL.jpg

Along the way I spotted this sign:

i-Q82LtZg-XL.jpg

Which reminded me of a pub back home that was officially named "Irelands 32" but because of the alleged shenanigans had been re-named "Sinn Feins 32".

The gold wasn't within easy reach

i-cK5VPpK-XL.jpg

i-b6Lt5d5-XL.jpg

i-KPZPL9c-XL.jpg

i-KX24KsJ-XL.jpg

I should have paid more attention to the sign. After paying the 5 euro cover the person working the door explained to me that because there was a service I would have to wait before getting snap happy. I think she was relieved when I told her I spoke English and understood her request.

i-cPhKJkQ-XL.jpg

I'm sorry you were disappointed with Cork, it has many redeeming features, but Ireland, after the years of the Celtic Tiger boom has been economically devastated. DH was there last week, in a rural setting in the West, and noticed that there were remarkably few men, so many are working abroad, in the UK and other parts of Europe.

The English Market is great, a good place to find artisanal sausages and cheeses, and usually something 'interesting' that you didn't know you needed until you saw it!

And Cork were, indeed, doing well in the Hurling - but not well enough! As a Clare woman, I'm delighted to say that they were well beaten in the replay (initial match was a draw) of the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship last week. Each county has it's own set of colours (eg Clare is saffron and blue) and these apply to every county team - hurling, gaelic football, socker, camogie etc, so when there is a big match is on it will seem as though the whole county is festooned in those colours - a favourite of mine is coloured fertiliser sacks in the appropriate colours nailed to telegraph poles in farming areas!

I'm sorry you were disappointed with Cork, it has many redeeming features, but Ireland, after the years of the Celtic Tiger boom has been economically devastated. DH was there last week, in a rural setting in the West, and noticed that there were remarkably few men, so many are working abroad, in the UK and other parts of Europe.

That was my initial thought was the difference between the height of the Celtic Tiger and now. I'd still love to go back and perhaps this time see the country via motorcycle rather than car.

Once inside the Cathederal you saw stained glass windows telling bible stories.

I think this is either the end result of David versus Goliath or the start of soccer/football.

DSC_3130-XL.jpg

This would eventually become the focus of an Indiana Jones movie

DSC_3131-X2.jpg

Organ pipes flanking a stained glass window

DSC_3132-XL.jpg

DSC_3133-XL.jpg

DSC_3134-XL.jpg

DSC_3135-XL.jpg