Has The QM2 Ever Carried Mail?

bahrain_not_dubai!

I am aware that the QM2 carried mail on her maiden voyages, but has she ever done so since? I was particularly thinking about the volcano fiasco that grounded aircraft from Europe- I read online that the QE2 carried mail to the USA in the week directly proceeding 9/11. Did the QM2 do the same (with the volcano, not 9/11 obviously)?

Does the QM2 ever carry mail?

Does the QM2 ever carry mail?
Well, I've not checked for mail bags of course, or counted the letters personally... ;)

I've been to Southampton either to board QM2 myself, or to wave to family and friends as they depart on QM2, many times.

On some voyages, I think always transatlantic crossings, I've noted the Royal Mail pennant flying from the mast before departure, but on the majority that I have observed, it is not flown.

Here is one occasion:

QM2 at the Ocean Terminal Southampton

&

QM2 at the Ocean Terminal Southampton

If flying the pennant indicates that there is mail on board on that voyage, then yes, QM2 does indeed carry mail on occasions.

Hope this helps.

Interesting question as it was not uncommon for British warships that were at sea for long period to send across mail to British flagged merchant ships although I doubt that is what you meant.

From my research and hopefully folks better informed than me will join in, my thoughts are the title RMS is an honorary one bestowed to this ship more in recognition of Cunard and previous deeds as opposed to the routine carrying of mail.

The ship has the room so why not and at the end of the day carrying mail can generate income! :)

Speaking of Royal Mail, I understand it's about to be privatized. When that happens, will QM2 still be RMS Queen Mary 2? -S.

The question last came up when her registry was changed from the UK to Bermuda. If I remember correctly CaptainPugwash inquired on board, and the answer was that RMS was in the title conferred by Her Majesty. Therefore RMS Queen Mary 2 will remain as such until the monarch decides otherwise.

The question last came up when her registry was changed from the UK to Bermuda. If I remember correctly CaptainPugwash inquired on board, and the answer was that RMS was in the title conferred by Her Majesty. Therefore RMS Queen Mary 2 will remain as such until the monarch decides otherwise.

The title was actually conferred by Royal Mail. There is a video of the naming of QM2 around which shows Cunard's President at the time announcing this.

Goodness knows what will happen to the prefix once Royal Mail is privatised.

I'd agree with BlueRiband and Olliesmum, there are currently 4 vessels bearing the title of RMS; QM2 is one of them and another is a small steamer that works on the lakes around Muskoka which is a few hours north of Toronto, the others include one that sails to and from the Scilly Isles and the last serves the west coast of Africa and St Helena. The title is in the gift of the Queen but is awarded by the Royal Mail.

I'd agree with BlueRiband and Olliesmum, there are currently 4 vessels bearing the title of RMS; QM2 is one of them and another is a small steamer that works on the lakes around Muskoka which is a few hours north of Toronto, the others include one that sails to and from the Scilly Isles and the last serves the west coast of Africa and St Helena. The title is in the gift of the Queen but is awarded by the Royal Mail.

No, this hasn't anything to do with the Queen. Royal Mail is (at the moment) a statutory body.

Archived