Fair Compensation for a missed disembarkation port?

Calif. Cruisers

I'm just off the Westdam which overnighted with the Statendam in Vancouver on Sept. 29. HAL kept both those ships in Vancouver overnight and kept the Oosterdam in Seattle overnight due to weather conditions. It is true that we did US customs etc. in Vancouver. The decision to overnight was made firmly sometime in the afternoon and US authorities would not allow anyone, passengers or crew, to then leave and return to the ship. Then we still had to zero down in Los Angeles which was a port call and turn in customs forms in both LA and San Diego. The weather conditions were better, but still poor, when we sailed from Vancouver at about noon on the 30th and we were quite rocky for about 24 hours. We missed the port of Astoria.

Our cruise was a 6 day cruise Vancouver to San Diego and the next two cruises are jazz charters. Hope this isn't too disjointed. We're tired from disembarkation and I was skimming through this thread before taking a short nap in our hotel room.

We actually took this same cruise 2 years ago (Vancouver to SF) and missed Astoria at that time due to rough seas. That decision was understandable to us and we had a good time on the cruise. We made it to San Francisco that time though!

We were on the NCL Pearl on the 29th and sailed past Canada Place where your two ships sat. While the weather was bad and seas high it was not all that bad.

It seems to me that HAL was being overly cautious by keeping their ships in port. The seas were not much different than what we experienced the prior evening.

HAL seemed like they were doing the right thing, right up to the point when they said that air fare would be deducted from the cruise refund. Very lame idea. Its penny wise and pound foolish.

Yes, that sums it up, I believe.

• 4 weeks later...
We finally got a voice message from HAL stating that our cruise fare will be credited back to our account along with the 20% future cruise credit within 2 weeks but they made no mention at all regarding reimbursement of the airfare. What a pain in the you know what!

Archived