Venice for the Over 65s

Louise47

I am finding confusing information on the Venice web pages regarding the cost of entry to sites. Some say that entry is free or reduced for the over 65s in the EU. Others just state reduced for over 65s.

Has anyone been to Venice recently who can help please. We don't want to buy a costly general ticket and then find that we could have entered for free.

Any help will be much appreciated.

I am finding confusing information on the Venice web pages regarding the cost of entry to sites. Some say that entry is free or reduced for the over 65s in the EU. Others just state reduced for over 65s.

Has anyone been to Venice recently who can help please. We don't want to buy a costly general ticket and then find that we could have entered for free.

Any help will be much appreciated.

It varies from place to place. Some offer discounts to all over 65, some only to those over 65 from EU countries, and some none at all. There is usually a notice on the fee list to tell you, but just ask for a reduction or discount to be sure.

Nothing is simple when it comes to "senior" discounts in the EU. Some places will give you a senior discount if you are 60 (the French railroad, SNCF is an example) and others will use 65. And then there are some places that will only give a Senior discount to residents of the EU! And we have even found places that will only give discounts to residents of a specific region, city, etc. Bottom line is you need to ask. I will often just ask for a senior rate and put the burden on the ticket seller to ask for special ID or just grant my request.

Hank

Thank you all for your help. We are shortly leaving for an MSC cruise starting in Venice so we decided to have a couple of days at start and finish of the holiday. We'll be sure to take plenty of ID and try not to be embarrassed about asking for discounts.

Thanks again.

Archived