Dramamine/Bonine... use it everyday?

mama2twocuties

I just bought Bonine today and didn't read the label until I got home. It says not to take if you have glaucoma...which I do. Now I'm worried as I have a history of vertigo and am concerned about motion sickness. Also, I have trouble sleeping and bought Melatonin to take. I didn't realize that Bonine causes drowsiness. Doesn't sound like Bonine and Melatonin should be taken together. I did buy ginger pills and read that green apples are available on the ship so hope those work for me! If anyone has any other suggestions, I love to hear them.

Go to your pharmacy and ask for meclizine (generic Bonine & Antivert). I get 100 tablets for $4, very inexpensive. I take 1 tablet every day starting 2 days before we travel. I try to take it every day at the same time but if the ship is especially rocky I'll take another. I have never been sleepy from it and I've never had any problems with motion sickness (I'm very susceptible to motion sickness even feeling queasy laying in bed with my wiggly husband). As much as you pay for the cruise, don't let the cost of the medication ruin it.

Ruthie

Well, the Number One suggestion is get away quickly, and stay away, from anyone who even looks like they might be feeling queasy. It`s contagious!

Second suggestion is get outdoors as fast as possible if you feel squiffy on board a ship. Fresh air and gazing at the horizon seem to help.

Third suggestion is stop thinking about it. Get involved, strike up a conversation, watch a show. If you sit around worrying about being sick, you are halfway there (this is true on land too).

Vertigo means nothing in relation to your proneness to seasickness. I get vertigo on the third step of a ladder. I have to face the doors on glass elevators. Never been sick on a ship.

+1 to the ginger recommendations. Actual ginger in any form is effective, but you'll get a good hit with the capsules. Take a capsule with each meal and at bedtime. This is very well researched and often is more effective than medication, without the drowsy side-effects. You can find ginger tablets with all the vitamins in any drugstore.

I would take any of those drugs as needed. They make you very drowsy and you will end of snoozing through your entire voyage. You might only need it if the weather is rough.

Try sea bands, they seem to help and they're better than being unconscious the whole time.

Jonathan

I agree. Dramamine made my first day on my first cruise horrible. It made me feel like I was looking at everything through thick glasses. I was miserable. I stopped taking it and quickly felt better. Never got seasick, not even a little bit. We took Sea Bands and I wore them. I may not have even needed those either, but it made me more secure.

I just bought Bonine today and didn't read the label until I got home. It says not to take if you have glaucoma...which I do. Now I'm worried as I have a history of vertigo and am concerned about motion sickness. Also, I have trouble sleeping and bought Melatonin to take. I didn't realize that Bonine causes drowsiness. Doesn't sound like Bonine and Melatonin should be taken together. I did buy ginger pills and read that green apples are available on the ship so hope those work for me! If anyone has any other suggestions, I love to hear them.

Eating or drinking something sour helps with nausea. Learned this while pregnant. So on the ship you can drink free lemonade or grab a slice of lemon from a bar and suck on it. That's why they have green apples. They are more tart. Also at WalMart and in the gift shop they have some drops that are natural oils that you rub behind your ear. My sister swears by them.

Eating or drinking something sour helps with nausea. Learned this while pregnant. So on the ship you can drink free lemonade or grab a slice of lemon from a bar and suck on it. That's why they have green apples. They are more tart. Also at WalMart and in the gift shop they have some drops that are natural oils that you rub behind your ear. My sister swears by them.

Do you know what the natural oils are called? Thanks.

Thanks to those of you who responded with such helpful suggestions. I will begin taking the ginger tablets a couple of days before leaving home

and hope I don't need Bonine, sea bands, or even green apples! I'm prepared "just in case" but keeping a positive attitude! :)

As a mom of two kids who got really seasick on cruises, with no warning (and they had never gotten any kind of motion sickness before), I recommend having them take a Bonine or non-drowsy Dramamine tablet every night after dinner. That worked great. And I learned the hard way to take along a scopolamine ear patch (which requires a doctor's prescription) because the night it hit my daughter she couldn't keep the tablet down, so the ear patch was the only thing that helped her.

Trust me, it was an awful feeling when they got seasick, and I was happy that I had the medicines with me. It would have been hard to get them on the ship - they cost twice as much in the gift shop (if it's even during their open hours), and you don't want to have to go to the medical center to get them (which is also only open a few hours a day). If you do that they might think it is a stomach flu or norovirus and could quarantine the seasick person to their cabin.

rocklinmom, you give good advice. Bring lots of options, because you can't count on getting what you need on board or in foreign ports. For my hubby, who I press-ganged into cruising with me because he feared being seasick, I brought:

Gravol (probably same as Bonine)

ginger candies and ginger pills

wrist bands

ear patches

Turned out that he never had a bad moment. But if he'd needed it, we had it....

I take one Bonine about 30 minutes before I bored and am usually good for the rest of the cruise, only take more if turns out to be a really rocky trip, and I will get motion sickness if i ever have to drive a small truck or car, like and S-10 pickup or a Volkswagen beetle. Just can't do economy cars.

My 14 year old daughter gets motion sickness also. She had tried wearing the patch but she didn't like the fact that it dilated her pupils so that she wasn't able to read (side effect if you read the package). She took the patch off immediately and starting taking the motion sickness pills or ginger gravol until we ran out. We went to guest services to get some motion sickness pills at no charge. I had read that you could do this on CC. Lots of good information on here.

Happy sailing:)

There is nothing in Bonine that can cause drowsiness. This is false information that get repeated because folks confuse it with regular Dramamine which has ingredients that cause sleepiness.

Bonine in any form (generic, brand, Dramine non-drowsy) all make me drowsy - very drowsy - to the point where I'm afraid to have a glass of wine.

I use sea bands. I put them on before the ship sails. If the waters are rough, I'm okay with the sea bands. If the water is real smooth, then i might take them off and see how I feel.

the key with sea bands is that you put them on your wrists according to the directions THEN LEAVE THEM ON! They can stay on for showers, in the pool, etc. I generally do take them off at port, but then put them right back on before the ship sails. I'm OK with that even though the directions are to leave them on.

Good luck

There is nothing in Bonine that can cause drowsiness. This is false information that get repeated because folks confuse it with regular Dramamine which has ingredients that cause sleepiness.

Here's a site the disputes what you indicate - the side effects of meclizine, the active ingredient in Bonine include "tired feeling", "drowsiness". . .

http://www.drugs.com/meclizine.html

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I have truly enjoyed reading all the excellent advice here on this thread. On our first cruise this past February, we had the patches, with ginger as a back up. Turns out after the first 24 hours we removed the patches and relied on ginger capsules. We also had ginger gum (expensive, but works fast)! Not once did we even think about feeling queasy. Even with 6-8 foot seas, we barely knew the ship was moving. Spend lots of time outside when possible. Be active if you can. Enjoy your vacation! One thing I did learn from my wife's doctor...if you can find it, get the ginger caplets with the liquid inside rather than the powdered. Just in case you happen to get a little green behind the gills- you will need something to work quick. Take the caplet and eat a green apple. Wash it down with a ginger ale or Sprite/7 up. The liquid filled caplets work faster, especially if you're already having trouble keeping something down. We also have the Meclazine just in case. I found 60 tablets at our local pharmacy for $6. I agree with many of the folks here though. My wife already takes enough medication. If there is some way we can find something natural (or not at all) we'll try that option before all others. Hope you new cruisers have as much fun as we did. And don't worry about anything. Just have fun. My wife can get motion sickness just watching television (no exaggeration!) and she was solid as a rock!

PS: Any medical professionals here that can confirm/deny the liquid caplets vs. powdered capsules would be appreciated. One doctors opinion doesn't make it a fact!

Sent from my ZX-X15 using Forums mobile app

We're taking the non drowsy dramamine. Ive never had motion sickness, hubby does only on spinny rides at amusment parks.. We didnt bring anything on our 1st cruise... The first day we were fine.. until dinner (late seating)the ship started really rocking and we both felt nauseous, luckily a couple at our dinner table gave us their dramamine that they carried just in case but even they were sick and had never been sea sick before..we went to bed early that night. We took dramamine each night before bed & were fine for the rest of the cruise. I might have to see if i can find those ginger capsules instead though