Cruise ship etiquette: Article.

DISNEY FANTASY

There is no Miss Manners for cruise passengers, but there are rules of etiquette that veteran cruisers should know and first-time cruisers should be aware of before stepping onboard a cruise ship.

Here are 10 ways to show you know proper cruise-ship etiquette.

1. Pay attention at the safety drill. Don't talk. Don't drink. Don't take photos. If there's a time to be serious on your cruise vacation, this is it.

2. Be spatially aware. You aren't the only one on the ship. If there is a line at the elevators and you can take the stairs, take them. If you're a slow walker, let the person behind you pass in the narrow cabin hallways. At the buffet, if you're alone at a table for six, consider sharing.

3. Avoid being a deck-chair hog. Reserving a deck chair for the whole day at the pool by leaving your stuff, even when you won't be there the whole time, is not considered courteous. Spend your time in the sun and then clear the space for someone else.

4. Don't save seats for your band of eight in the theater. Show up together to claim them en masse, or sit separately.

5. Make choices quickly at the buffet (it helps to take a look before you get in line). The buffet line is also not the time to lecture your child or quiz a chef about every ingredient in every dish. (If you have food allergies, you may be better off eating in the dining room where the crew can help track what you're served).

6. Check promptly that the luggage delivered to your room (or outside your door) is your own. You don't want to leave a fellow passenger panicking when you have their bag.

7. Keep your kids under control. Just because you are on a cruise ship doesn't mean you can stop parenting. The kids should not be running wild. Also, don't try to sneak youngsters into adults-only areas of the ship – such as the quiet pool, gym, hot tubs, or spa. Follow the age rules.

8. Talk quietly (no shouting) on cabin balconies and in cabin hallways. Your neighbors can hear you, including when you let your cabin door slam.

9. Arrive on time. When you are at an assigned table at a set time, it's uncool to keep your tablemates waiting. Even when you have your own reservation, being late throws the crew off their game. Arrive on time for shows, too.

10. Follow the dress code. Nothing gets the ire of fellow passengers more then when they follow the dress code – putting on a jacket or tie, for instance – and you blow it off, showing up in the dining room carefree in a Hawaiian shirt. If you want to go casual on a more formal night, head to the Lido buffet.

http://www.usatoday.com/experience/cruise/article/cruise-ship-etiquette-do-this-not-that/2936697/

Not only did we all have our wine glasses with us during muster on the Wind Surf, it was conducted in a completely comical way--think along the lines of some of the Southwest flight attendants conducting the safety announcements pre-flight. Because it was so outrageously funny, it held our rapt attention. It was held in the main lounge, very comfortable. It was so completely civilized--the polar opposite of the mass market cattle call method.

Those should be pinned outside the theatre on the ships. The seat saving before the shows is getting out of hand. :rolleyes:

Personally I've always thought that they should give assigned seats like at any concert or Broadway show. Do a seating chart and allow people to select their seats based on their show time when they do the online check in. Put the seat number on the room key just like the table number for dinner. Problem solved.

Personally I've always thought that they should give assigned seats like at any concert or Broadway show. Do a seating chart and allow people to select their seats based on their show time when they do the online check in. Put the seat number on the room key just like the table number for dinner. Problem solved.

That would work if people were paying specifically for the show but on a ship, plans change and people may skip shows leaving lots of empty seats. that would cause some confusion and unhappy guests.

Excellent tips. I like all of them! Disney seemed good at removing towels from deck chairs and loungers if no one was there for 30 minutes or more. I like to see that enforced. On one cruise (not Disney) I would be out for my morning walk at 6am and people in pajamas were putting towels on loungers to save them for later (Later being around 10am) and the cruise staff did nothing. I watched these chairs sit vacant for hours. The good news is I take my kids to the pool early so we would just remove the towels on the chairs we wanted and use them anyway. We were long gone by the time the "chair savers" showed up!

Edited by e2011

The one about saving seats in the theatre should add do not get up and go to the bathroom before the show! I witnessed a bad situation when the people behind us had people in the bathroom and people tried to take their seats. It got very heated and I actually kind of feared for my safety!

The one about saving seats in the theatre should add do not get up and go to the bathroom before the show! I witnessed a bad situation when the people behind us had people in the bathroom and people tried to take their seats. It got very heated and I actually kind of feared for my safety!

That's just silly, I did see bad behaviour in Alaska, reported at the time in my trip report a young girl ran in at opening and tried to save a full prime row by herself, it didn't work for long!

It was silly! They arrived about 3 minutes before show time and thought they should get prime seats. We were in the 3rd row and had been there for about 20 minutes. This incident was one of two that I witnessed on the Fantasy. Still by far less than I see on Carnival!

It was silly! They arrived about 3 minutes before show time and thought they should get prime seats. We were in the 3rd row and had been there for about 20 minutes. This incident was one of two that I witnessed on the Fantasy. Still by far less than I see on Carnival!

There are rules which people should follow and also common sense. If the family was there and one needs the restroom just before an hour show that's ok, that's logical that's being human.

There are the ' rules police' who in my option are actually worse than people who break rules deliberately. The rules police will say no saving seats and if you had one to many free sodas, then if you visit the restroom your seats gone! Errr no, even CMs in the WDT say it's ok to visit.

It's the same as for under 18s who accidentally walk to the adult area, rules police set in and tell them off, yes they can't stay there but the old saying is rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

There are rules which people should follow and also common sense. If the family was there and one needs the restroom just before an hour show that's ok, that's logical that's being human.

There are the ' rules police' who in my option are actually worse than people who break rules deliberately. The rules police will say no saving seats and if you had one to many free sodas, then if you visit the restroom your seats gone! Errr no, even CMs in the WDT say it's ok to visit.

It's the same as for under 18s who accidentally walk to the adult area, rules police set in and tell them off, yes they can't stay there but the old saying is rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

Excellent point. We had a bad experience with the "Rules Police" on the Disney Fantasy. We were walking from the Mickey pool back to our concierge suite and had to walk through the forward adult pool area to get to our room. Our 5 year old was in my arms and an older woman with a crusty voice immediately yelled at me "no children in this area!" We were literally walking through the area! My first reaction was to toss her over the rail (I jest) but I quickly realized the best thing to do was simply say "I know" and keep moving.

Edited by e2011

Excellent point. We had a bad experience with the "Rules Police" on the Disney Fantasy. We were walking from the Mickey pool back to our concierge suite and had to walk through the forward adult pool area to get to our room. Our 5 year old was in my arms and an older woman with a crusty voice immediately yelled at me "no children in this area!" We were literally walking through the area! My first reaction was to toss her over the rail (I jest) but I quickly realized the best thing to do was simply say "I know" and keep moving.

Yes, now I do not want any one to misunderstand what I am posting.

I think the rules are set and we should follow them for a great vacation.

But like your example there are a very few people who do not have common sense and self appoint them selves as rules police.

We are all on holiday!

Some places do turn out in adult areas by poor design.

Yes we should go by rules but use your common sense, at the theatre if a child needs the restroom that's not breaching seat saving policy, if you take a wrong turn and a child ends up in an adult area and moves on, does it mean a person who isn't an employee can shout at you.

Rules police can be very annoying!

Actually you don't need to do this. It was simply more convenient for you.

That is what I was going to ask, as surely the adult only area wouldn't be designed so that families had to walk through it to get to their suites/cabins. Someone coming through with kids, is just taking a shortcut for a couple of seconds, that wouldn't bother me as such unless the children were running riot.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

That is what I was going to ask, as surely the adult only area wouldn't be designed so that families had to walk through it to get to their suites/cabins. Someone coming through with kids, is just taking a shortcut for a couple of seconds, that wouldn't bother me as such unless the children were running riot.

If you are in say concierge forward on the fantasy and say want to get to cabanas for breakfast and return the design of the ship is bad and it's quite a detour up a deck or down a deck. Also if you come up to the pool deck on the forward elevator anyone will hit the adult area, it's bad design.

Errors on first days if a cruise can occur.

As Celtic girl says it wouldn't bother the majority of people, most people do not sorry.

Now if a person age 18 and lower makes this mistake and goes straight through to me it's common sense and the rules police should not get annoyed have their blood pressure go up and go red in the face!

They are passengers and not appointed by DCL.

Now if a child stays in the adult area or someone lights a cigarette in a clearly signed no smoking area yes people have the right to politely complain.

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

That would work if people were paying specifically for the show but on a ship, plans change and people may skip shows leaving lots of empty seats. that would cause some confusion and unhappy guests.

How would there be confusion? It would be obvious that some seats were empty because people decided to skip the show so their assigned/reserved seats weren't being used.

How would there be confusion? It would be obvious that some seats were empty because people decided to skip the show so their assigned/reserved seats weren't being used.

That's not what he has posted, you haven't understood him.

He was saying peoples plans change you said book online well in advance like palo or spa, but they may book it that stops others booking those seats then they cancel at late notice, it's not like turning up at a show and then before it starts walk out, on line booking say like a cabana can block others then a late cancellation or change of plans may have an effect on others.

Another example you book online and at dinner feel a bit unwell or tied, now it would need something like an ADR like WDW with a $10 fine for late cancelation.

That is what I was going to ask, as surely the adult only area wouldn't be designed so that families had to walk through it to get to their suites/cabins.

Actually they are.

If you're staying in a forward concierge cabin on deck 11, your choices are:

:rolleyes: walk through the adult area to get to the main pool area or cabanas at the back of the ship

:rolleyes: walk down the stairs / elevator and down to deck 10 walk along inside deck 10 to mid ship or aft and then walk up the stair or use the elevator to go back up to deck 11

:rolleyes: walk up the stairs / elevator up to deck 12, walk along the outside deck to mid ship or aft and then take the stairs or elevator back down to deck 11.

No really good choice as far as I can tell.

Poor, poor design.

So conceirge and Platinum members get the first (best) choice of seats and let all of the newbies sit at the back?

Actually they are.

If you're staying in a forward concierge cabin on deck 11, your choices are:

:rolleyes: walk through the adult area to get to the main pool area or cabanas at the back of the ship

:rolleyes: walk down the stairs / elevator and down to deck 10 walk along inside deck 10 to mid ship or aft and then walk up the stair or use the elevator to go back up to deck 11

:rolleyes: walk up the stairs / elevator up to deck 12, walk along the outside deck to mid ship or aft and then take the stairs or elevator back down to deck 11.

No really good choice as far as I can tell.

Poor, poor design.

Yes fully agree, it's poor design so either massive detour or you can do it by mistake, you are very accurate in the opinions.