Upgrading room as you're checking in...

lild428

Has anyone had any luck with upgrading their room during embarkation?

I never thought to ask that as I checked in, but there has to be SOME cabins that go unsold on certain cruises. Wondering whether anyone had booked, say, an inside room, and then asked if any balconies or suites were available and got a sweet deal to upgrade.

Thanks for any info! :)

Every cruise I've been on has a sign up at guest services stating "All rooms are full, no upgrades" or words to that effect.

You'll find many posts asking if there are any really good last minute "deals", or people stating that they can help you get these last minute upgrades. Upsells/upgrades usually go to folks well before the cruise and it trickles down, a balcony gets move to a mini suite, then an inside gets moved into the balcony etc.

All cruise lines employ some version of an upsell system to fill their cabins before sail date. Essentially, any high level suites will be offered at a minimal cost to those staying in lower level suites. Then the offers for the lower suites will go to those in mini-suites. Mini-suite offers will go to folks in balcony cabins, balcony upsells to those in oceanview, and oceanview to those in inside cabins. When the shuffling is done, those inside cabins will be offered to travel partners at deep discounts.

When a ship sails, it is full. The only exception to this would be if an individual stateroom booking was cancelled at the very last minute (like the day before sailing).

Don't get your hopes up, because your chances of an upgrade are nil, no matter what line you sail.

If you are interested in upgrading, keep an eye on pricing in the last few weeks before sailing. If you see something that interests you, call your TA or NCL and request to purchase an upgrade then. ;)

Last minute cancellations do happen, but I think you get upgraded by chance, not that you ask.

Our last unexpected upgrade was to a suite. The other people's name was still on the door. (it was a Princess cruise.)

Has anyone had any luck with upgrading their room during embarkation?

I never thought to ask that as I checked in, but there has to be SOME cabins that go unsold on certain cruises. Wondering whether anyone had booked, say, an inside room, and then asked if any balconies or suites were available and got a sweet deal to upgrade.

Thanks for any info! :)

I've been at the departure desk getting our cards while someone next to us was asking about being upgraded. The answer was no, but I'm not sure of the details, it could have been a request for a suite which usually go pretty quickly.

I know that the prices are dropping for the cruise we're on in December so as previously mentioned, the cruise line uses various methods of selling cabins out rather than leave them empty or up for grabs on embarkation day.

I'd check the website frequently as the departure gets closer for price drops.

Unfortunately, those days of upgrading at the pier or just showing up for a last minute deal are long gone.

THANKS TO BIN LADEN!!! ENJOY HELL:mad:

I would pretty much agree. Before then I've received upgrades. Lately not so much due to the Line's upgrade sales pitch. As far as I'm concerned, the Fairy is dead.

Every cruise I've been on has a sign up at guest services stating "All rooms are full, no upgrades" or words to that effect. .

Agree. If you want to try for an upgrade, do it before departure day. My experience has been that they never do it on the pier, they tell you to check on board. And then on board, you see the sign rvsullivan mentioned.

I believe that even if they have space, they just don't want to be bothered. I may be wrong about that, but I have never heard of anyone upgrading on board. Only prior to departure....

Archived